Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I get a tiny niggling feeling we are going to go for all the lesser players....

Eduoard - Watkins
Aarons - Cash

"Going to go for", or resigned to getting as the others have either said no or are too expensive?

• Like 2

Re the wages...

If we’re going up against teams such a Fulham and West Ham for players, it has already been discussed how London clubs have an automatic advantage (especially if the player is already based there). Our reputation is not what it was and will take a while to rebuild so they probably are going to have to offer big bucks to convince players to come.  

Our wage structure is low which has served us well during the pandemic but realistically if we want to maintain PL status, it will need to rise. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Not sure if it’s Been mentioned, but John Swift played for Dean Smith on loan at Brentford for a very successful season. 

True, He wasn't a bad player for us, but didn't pull up any trees, from what I have seen of him playing for Reading he has improved a bit, would struggle to get in our team now, but as Brentfordnylons has said, not PL standard.

Edited by jonjon

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They were s*** for most of last season. And the season before. Still having Ancelotti as  their manager helps.

They have a high profile manager. That's it basically. I don't see any other reason why they'd be more attractive. Years spent in the PL is irrelevant to a player. They were awful for most of the season and could struggle again even with Ancelotti.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

And? Much more desirable than us right now.

Its very interesting. Definitely more desirable than us at the moment (wages, PL status being relatively secure, and high profile manager) but there's not many players in that Everton squad that I would want at Villa. 

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"Going to go for", or resigned to getting as the others have either said no or are too expensive?

Perhaps but if we had bidded for said players its likely the agents, media, players or maybe even clubs would have leaked it to get better terms, higher bids or other clubs to bid.

IMO

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Re the wages...

If we’re going up against teams such a Fulham and West Ham for players, it has already been discussed how London clubs have an automatic advantage (especially if the player is already based there). Our reputation is not what it was and will take a while to rebuild so they probably are going to have to offer big bucks to convince players to come.  

Our wage structure is low which has served us well during the pandemic but realistically if we want to maintain PL status, it will need to rise. 

Fair enough if they are a high profile player we want (they have high wages already) or if they are of high quality with lots of other clubs willing to pay the wages.

We are talking about players in an inferior league, at an inferior club, looking for their first big move with wages much lower.

Also please take into account wages are what get clubs stuck in future transfer markets, 3.5m a year wages for a player coming in from the championship replicated to other players coming in will greatly reduce future budgets, also where does the contract when the player does well go? if you give them 40 and it goes well give them 60 or 70 not 70 and take it to 100 plus.

They are also easier to shift to a new club if you haven't gone crazy on the initial wage.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

I’d be fuming if we pay those figures for a championship striker with one decent season. I really hope we don’t spend the window digging in that league. It really isn’t as good as people seem to believe, and we ought to know. 

Aston Villa are preparing a £10million offer for Arsenal goalkeeper Emi Martinez.

The Argentine impressed for the Gunners following the Premier League’s restart this spring as he stepped in for the injured Bernd Leno.

Leno, Mikel Arteta’s first-choice keeper, sustained a knee injury against Brighton in June, and it was initially feared that he could miss as many as nine months of action.

While the German recovered more quickly than expected – and could even start in today’s Community Shield against Premier League champions Liverpool – Martinez’s strong showings over the past several months suggested the 27-year-old could actually replace Leno in Arsenal’s starting line-up in the future.

That no longer seems to be the case, however, with reports emerging this week that the Gunners may be willing to let Martinez leave.

This is in the paper today...

Is it just me who doesn't want the guy? He was a nobody then plays a handful of games post lock down is apparently worth 20m? Nah, we have 4 keepers, sell some before bringing a keeper in.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Villarocker said:

If a team full or Brentford players were that good they would already be in the Premier League when Smith managed them previously. 

Players that are better than what we have, move the squad forward, know how to play with each other and how the manager wants them to play.

28 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) I just want Deano to get what he wants tbh. 

2) I desperately want to see Jack sign a new contract and stay.

3) I'd like some big signings of intent. Abraham'esque if you will. 

4) I'd like to see Lange contributing some how so I actually see there's some use to having the role at the club. 

On item 4, I’m not sure how we can expect to see what a guy in his role does. Sure you might say he can demonstrate his value by making signings, but that is a very simplistic view in my mind. All this type of work isn’t done in the full glare of the media, I’d imagine 95% of it is incredibly boring to most people and his role along with most of the people he works closely with is probably very nerdy. 

Often his successes may only be measured in what we don’t do, like not signing a dud. I don’t know, anymore than you what his day to day work actually is, that’s largely my point here, but i see big junks of it as sorting the wheat from the chaff. Perhaps a good analogy would be a real life copper wading through endless pieces of evidence to solve a crime, whereas we only see the glamorous world of TV cops dramatically getting there man. When signings are made the headlines will be all about  player himself, and possibly  Smith and Purslow. However only those who work closely in that world will ever really know and appreciate what the nerds do. I don’t think we ever really know or can expect to know all the behind the scenes stuff to be honest. 

Items 1, 2 and 3 I’m on board with and the sooner the better. However I’m pretty sure everyone at AVFC wants things to happen quicker than they are but I think we’ve discussed the many factors that contribute to the time consuming complexities of a modern day transfer plenty of times already. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lexicon said:

And? Much more desirable than us right now.

Are they? They have the pull of a well known manager and will probably offer higher wages, but other than that, I don't see that they are that "much" more desirable, they do play in Liverpool after all!. ;)

10 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Now, that makes me f**king mad. We are either looking at batshit crazy lazy journalism or, our manager wants a team full of Brentford players... 

You may be on to something, could it be a cunning way of getting Brentford promoted? If so, you would hope they would be a little more generous, with the fees that they ask for from us....:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

1) I just want Deano to get what he wants tbh. 

2) I desperately want to see Jack sign a new contract and stay.

3) I'd like some big signings of intent. Abraham'esque if you will. 

4) I'd like to see Lange contributing some how so I actually see there's some use to having the role at the club. 

1 & 2 are the most important things, if Smith doesn't think there's any merit in 3 then fair enough. You can't really judge Lange's contribution until next summer.

I am not yet concerned about the lack of signings there is plenty of time and it’s critical that we get it right. If they all sign in the last day, then although not ideal, it’s better than getting the wrong signings albeit much earlier.

I am concerned about the lack of speculation relating to centre midfield and right forward. These are the two biggest weaknesses in our team at the moment, closely followed by cf, right back and gk. 

We are being linked to rb’s, gk’s and cf but apart from very loose links to Rashica and McKennie, rf and cm seem to be getting ignored. To be honest if we only bought a cf, cm and rf I would be happy but they need to be if sufficient quality. Sarr, McKennie and Eduoard would transform our team. We would be top 10 with ease. I know McKennie is likely to go to Juventus and Sarr looks likely to sign for the plop but there are plenty of other players of similar standing around. 

22 minutes ago, John said:

Are they? They have the pull of a well known manager and will probably offer higher wages, but other than that, I don't see that they are that "much" more desirable, they do play in Liverpool after all!. ;)

Of course they are. Much more established in the premier league than we are right now, the manager is internationally known with a high profile, they sign players for big money and pay a lot more in wages. We don't have anything on them right now in that respect.

25 minutes ago, romavillan said:

1 & 2 are the most important things, if Smith doesn't think there's any merit in 3 then fair enough. You can't really judge Lange's contribution until next summer.

Surely the idea behind a Lange/Suso is to contribute with scouting network abroad? Am I missing the point? 

If so, why did Pitarch lose his job?