Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Now, that makes me f**king mad. We are either looking at batshit crazy lazy journalism or, our manager wants a team full of Brentford players... 

Rico Henry

Ezra Konsa

John Swift

Said Benrahma

Diego Jota

Olly Watkins

It is seriously taking the piss if true that we ars after who the reports say we're after. 

DS has always liked signing old players of his. Resigned a few after loan spells at Walsall then at Brentford he quickly got in Rico and Romaine Sawyers. Even here he's already got in Jota and Konsa.

One of the quirks of his managerial style. Can see the pros and cons of it.

No point getting upset about salaries. The teams that pay the higher ones tend to get the players they want and do better. The league mostly runs in order of wage bills. If you think a player isn’t worth the salary quoted, that probably tells you the player isn’t good enough for us - if we want to be in the top half of the table consistently, we probably need to double our wage bill at least. The trick is making sure you get value for money, not that you get cheap hits.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

No point getting upset about salaries. The teams that pay the higher ones tend to get the players they want and do better. The league mostly runs in order of wage bills. If you think a player isn’t worth the salary quoted, that probably tells you the player isn’t good enough for us - if we want to be in the top half of the table consistently, we probably need to double our wage bill at least. The trick is making sure you get value for money, not that you get cheap hits.

in that case, every one gets a pay raise. Including you henri Lansbury 

dumb daughter GIF

Edited by CarryOnVilla

Just now, VillaChris said:

DS has always liked signing old players of his. Resigned a few after loan spells at Walsall then at Brentford he quickly got in Rico and Romaine Sawyers. Even here he's already got in Jota and Konsa.

One of the quirks of his managerial style. Can see the pros and cons of it.

Clough was the same, and with the same pros and cons. Lots of managers do it - Jose with Matic, Sarri with Jorginho, Van Gaal with De Boer... Dean is just still climbing the ladder so the players he is doing it with aren’t the biggest names. In his next job when he’s looking to sign Grealish and Douglas Luiz etc that will be the logical culmination but let’s not worry about that yet ;)

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

70k pw for Watkins? Jesus wept!

He's currently on £15k. The come up is real.

Lansbury's on £40k-a-week to not play. I believe those figures.

Edited by Spray

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

in that case, every one gets a pay raise. Including you henri Lansbury 

dumb daughter GIF

Think you’ve missed the point. I mean I know you’re making a joke but making the joke shows you have possibly missed the point. Players who play well will get payrises, including when they move clubs. Players who play badly probably won’t. That’s how it works. As I said in my post it’s about ensuring you sign the right players, not worrying if you’re paying them too much - by definition if they are the right players you won’t be.

8 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Last time he played for Ancelotti maybe? (That’s a question, don’t know if it is true).

He’s done well for ancelloti- if he signs it’ll be the third time he’s signed him. I think he signed Allan for Napoli too so it be the second time he’s signed him.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Think you’ve missed the point. I mean I know you’re making a joke but making the joke shows you have possibly missed the point. Players who play well will get payrises, including when they move clubs. Players who play badly probably won’t. That’s how it works. As I said in my post it’s about ensuring you sign the right players, not worrying if you’re paying them too much - by definition if they are the right players you won’t be.

ricky gervais laughing GIF

48 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Clough was the same, and with the same pros and cons. Lots of managers do it - Jose with Matic, Sarri with Jorginho, Van Gaal with De Boer... Dean is just still climbing the ladder so the players he is doing it with aren’t the biggest names. In his next job when he’s looking to sign Grealish and Douglas Luiz etc that will be the logical culmination but let’s not worry about that yet ;)

I do agree but it must make the scouting network, data analysts and DoF a bit crazy if DS only wants to sign players he’s either managed or seen play against him from his old club.

I mean I think Targett played for Fulham on loan when Brentford lost the playoff final back in 2018.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we are signing Watkins as the only striker this window, for a £25m fee and £70k / week salary you are taking a massive risk.

I hear you, I’d prefer to sign Edouard.....and I’m also hoping that the £25m and £70k a week are performance related.

If we had gone down . . .

. . . we would still have been able to sign John Swift and Matty Cash.

Would these players improve the first team? Reasonable might say yes, reasonable people might say no. Problem is we will only actually get better when we sign players that no-one can possibly argue about.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we are signing Watkins as the only striker this window, for a £25m fee and £70k / week salary you are taking a massive risk.

Huge risk.  

The sensible among us know and appreciate that every signing is a risk but it's important to evaluate the potential role the signing will play.  I'm not confident about any of our current strikers having a successful season and presumably neither do the club.  So if we only sign Watkins is a huge risk.  Don't really care about those figures quoted, I tend not to take any notice as the money in the game has been stupid for so many years now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rayk said:

I do agree but it must make the scouting network, data analysts and DoF a bit crazy if DS only wants to sign players he’s either managed or seen play against him from his old club.

I mean I think Targett played for Fulham on loan when Brentford lost the playoff final back in 2018.

I think that last point is stretching it - 90% of the players in the PL and Championship have probably played against Smith at this point. We also don’t know how much of it is just lazy journalism (linked to a player because he played for Smith; we now talk about how Smith wants players who played for him). We can wait and see if we end up with the whole Brentford team here :)

25 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I get a tiny niggling feeling we are going to go for all the lesser players....

Eduoard - Watkins
Aarons - Cash