Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Benrahama is quarantining isnt he?

Could be but not sure, no date was given when he arrived back in the UK, but I think it's safe to say him & Watkins have played their last game for us.

Edited by jonjon

I'm all for getting good talent from the championship and Scottish leagues.

However it is not a strong business model to use if you want a team that can mix it in the prem.

Last season was all about staying up...job done...right...time to move on.

Deep down...apart from Grealish Mcginn and Mings the rest a championship at best...now you buy championship you get championship.

Yes...many players from the championship have come up and made the grade but look why...they have all gone in to a team with prem or top league experience...they learn from these players.

Let's look at cash for example...do you think Gilbert or elmo are going to teach him anything....Watkins....from trez or el ghazi...no...they will have to learn as they go and thats a dangerous game...like last year.

Yes...throwing big money might not work but throwing big money on championship players hoping they can be premier players is a higher risk.

Would I take benrahma wakins cash...yes I would but not for those prices and as starters...maybe benrahma but i guess the rest is only slightly better than what we have...again that's risky and not really showing ambition.

If the board are really wanting to be near the top then at some point they need to show it...a big player will show the intent....build it and they will come....maybe a big name isn't coming because they know who we are looking at?

Players are out there, I hope the window turns good but at the moment I'm sitting on the fence based on who we have been linked with.

UTV

Edited by Bazmonkey
Spelling
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Deep down...apart from Grealish Mcginn and Mings the rest a championship at best...now you buy championship you get championship.

really?

I would say of our players, Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish are definately Premiership quality.

I would say Guilbert, Engels, Wesley, Samatta are probably Prem quality but need some more time to show it and/or develop further.

For ok squad players, i would say El Ghazi, Trez, Hourihane, Nakamba, Hause.

I tend to think Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota arent Prem quality.

I think with 4-6 quality signings in the right positions (LW/RW/ST/MC - possibly RB & LB), our squad should be comfortably mid table quality.

I cant believe you only think 3 of our players are Prem quality.

32 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Deep down...apart from Grealish Mcginn and Mings the rest a championship at best...

You think Brazil international Douglas Luiz is Championship “at best”? You think England international Tom Heaton is Championship “at best”? In that case I hope we sign a few more Championship players :) 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Martinez is starting in goal for Arsenal in the community shield so don’t think that transfer is happening any time soon. 

I’d be surprised if they sell him but even starting today he won’t be their starting keeper going back into the Prem season. Leno is pretty much fit again (on the bench today).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You think Brazil international Douglas Luiz is Championship “at best”? You think England international Tom Heaton is Championship “at best”? In that case I hope we sign a few more Championship players :) 

Konsa will be better than Mings within 2 years too. Maybe less.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

really?

I would say of our players, Heaton, Mings, Konsa, Targett, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish are definately Premiership quality.

I would say Guilbert, Engels, Wesley, Samatta are probably Prem quality but need some more time to show it and/or develop further.

For ok squad players, i would say El Ghazi, Trez, Hourihane, Nakamba, Hause.

I tend to think Elmo, Taylor, Lansbury, Jota arent Prem quality.

I think with 4-6 quality signings in the right positions (LW/RW/ST/MC - possibly RB & LB), our squad should be comfortably mid table quality.

I cant believe you only think 3 of our players are Prem quality.

Depends what level of prem quality. They proved they were just about 17th best last season and our defence was firmly bottom 3 standard. If we're happy to finish 16th or 17th for next 5 years then crack on.

Surely we need a couple of signings that can push us into top 10 over next two years.

Anyway Martinez starting for Arsenal today so looks like another to scrub off the list of targets.

3 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Konsa will be better than Mings within 2 years too. Maybe less.

Oh I agree completely and think Konsa is doing very well now, but I was trying to just pick the ones that were *objectively* insane to consider “championship ag best.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Anyway Martinez starting for Arsenal today so looks like another to scrub off the list of targets

As noted a couple of posts above, while I have no idea if we will sign him or not, he 100% won’t be Arsenal’s starting keeper this season - or likely any time after this game since Leno is now basically back. So if he wants to play he will be moving somewhere. If he stays it will be as backup.

I’m bored and in FM mode and been thinking that Karlan Grant @ £10/15mill is a better option To Watkins @ £25mill. The difference of £10/£15mill,  that’s another player. With McKennie moving to Juve for £20mill and if we were to switch to Grant that difference could be added for a cheeky £35mill+ for Denis Zakaria... Yeah I’m really that bored... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As noted a couple of posts above, while I have no idea if we will sign him or not, he 100% won’t be Arsenal’s starting keeper this season - or likely any time after this game since Leno is now basically back. So if he wants to play he will be moving somewhere. If he stays it will be as backup.

Leno played on Wednesday in their last friendly and is on the bench today. I'd say Arteta putting Martinez in today is a nod he'll start the season as number one. Think we'll have to wait until January and see if he's still playing then.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what level of prem quality. They proved they were just about 17th best last season and our defence was firmly bottom 3 standard. If we're happy to finish 16th or 17th for next 5 years then crack on.

Surely we need a couple of signings that can push us into top 10 over next two years.

Anyway Martinez starting for Arsenal today so looks like another to scrub off the list of targets.

Martinez starting today doesn’t mean he won’t be sold. Leno is on the bench so almost ready to start and it would be extremely unlikely that a goalkeeper would be injured, particularly in what is essentially a preseason friendly. 

Rico Henry's assists in the WHAM / Brentford game shows exactly why he is worth getting for 10-15m as competition for Targett, lovely run, layoff, pick up and assist.

would be very happy with Targett/Henry and Cash/Guilbert.

(although Henry did lose Soucek for WH's second goal :P )

Edited by MaVilla

2 hours ago, useless said:

Rodrigo's main selling point is the goals he creates for others players more so than the goals he scores himself, if you look at his goals and assists record combined then his record is very good and at an hight standard of football. I guess Leeds now have to find someone that's going to score the chances that he creates.

Yes, if we look at his stats it's clear he's taken on a new role of late. 

Goals per 90

2017-18: 0.54
2018-19: 0.28
2019-20: 0.19

Assists per 90

2017-18: 0.13
2018-19: 0.21
2019-20: 0.34

• Thanks 1