Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I just think that the level of player that we’ll be going for will be players who cost upwards of £20m but still aren’t completely proven at the level that we want to be at, despite being ‘better’ signings than what we got last year. Therefore I don’t think it’ll hurt to have rotation in there.

As an example, Rashica or someone like Dwight McNeil (Burnley) would both cost £30m+ each (probably £35-40m for McNeil), but you still wouldn’t be getting players that guarantee you 7/10 performances every week, so having rotation options that also allow Grealish to move centrally to alter our shape seems like a good idea to me.

I'm of the opinion that McNeil would give us performances that would average out at 7/10 over the season.

I would love us to bring in quality players like him and Buendia, during this window, but it seems we may have been diverted from such potential targets, by a reported swoop for the likes of Ronaldo, Buffon or Dybala, from Juve. ;)

• Haha 1

Calvin Stengs isn't in AZ Alkmaar's friendly squad today. Whilst they said it's due to fitness, Werder Bremen said a similar thing about Rashica and we know he's almost certainly leaving.

Likely nothing, but could be on the move this summer anyway. They do have Champions League qualifiers coming up so might depend on that whether he decides to stay or go this summer. I've said before he would personally be someone I would like to see play that right sided attacking role for us.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John said:

I'm of the opinion that McNeil would give us performances that would average out at 7/10 over the season.

I would love us to bring in quality players like him and Buendia, during this window, but it seems we may have been diverted from such potential targets, by a reported swoop for the likes of Ronaldo, Buffon or Dybala, from Juve. ;)

I probably didn’t word it the right way. I agree that McNeil would give a 7/10 most games.

I guess what I mean is that even with someone like Grealish, he had over a handful of bang average games last season. If we get that from a new winger, I don’t want us to be in the position where Trez and El Ghazi are our first back-up options.

I want Trez and El Ghazi to be cup team options. I don’t want them being the first team back-up options unless there is an injury crisis.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought it was the MON way.

I don't care how long it takes as long as we know what we want ( first targets) and get them.

you can't build a team with any success, accepting 3rd targets......not saying that is the case, just wary of it.

I agree with this but I also feel we do need to start bringing in players soon because the new season starts in 4 weeks and ideally we'd have at least 2 new first teamers in by then. But you're right, we can't bring in players for the sake of it, if they're not of the right quality there is simply no point. 

I feel we need to pull off a couple of big signings - if we were to get both McKennie and Rashica, for instance, it would give a huge lift to the whole team ahead of the season that we're bringing in players that can elevate us to that next level. We need first team players, in fact we need players that have the ability to come in and be key players for us. 

I recall City in the summer of 2008 before they were bought by the UAE. They signed Kompany and Zabaleta for relative peanuts in those days, despite the fact that better teams than City were looking at them. They also signed Elano the summer previous, from Shakhtar who were in the Champions League (City had just narrowly avoided relegation by finishing 14th).

I think this proves that it is possible to attract the attention of the bigger names we're looking at now, we just need to convince them it's the right move and this is a club on an upward trajectory. But as you've also mentioned previously, we need to be prepared to pay higher wages because a lot of where the player will end up comes down to wages. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I want Trez and El Ghazi to be cup team options. I don’t want them being the first team back-up options unless there is an injury crisis.

Third and fourth choice options! You don't honestly expect that to happen, surely? We would never keep these two players to feature so sparingly, and they wouldn't stay if that was the case. I would be perfectly happy for one or both of them to be pushing for a place in the first team every week.

Edited by AvonVillain
spelling

44 minutes ago, Wes said:

Calvin Stengs isn't in AZ Alkmaar's friendly squad today. Whilst they said it's due to fitness, Werder Bremen said a similar thing about Rashica and we know he's almost certainly leaving.

Likely nothing, but could be on the move this summer anyway. They do have Champions League qualifiers coming up so might depend on that whether he decides to stay or go this summer. I've said before he would personally be someone I would like to see play that right sided attacking role for us.

Very good shout and that’s why I don’t believe the lazy links to players like a Wilson who would be in a similar price bracket as Stengs yet nowhere near as much potential.

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wes said:

Double swoop for Stengs and Myron Boadu, who also looks like a fantastic prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Third and fourth choice options! You don't honestly expect that to happen, surely? We would never keep these two players to feature so sparingly, and they wouldn't stay if that was the case. I would be perfectly happy for one or both of them to be pushing for a place in the first team every week.

Depends on the formation you play I want 4231 so in that 6 players who can play or wide forwards or at 10.

we have Jack who can play in all three of those roles and Connor and John who could play as 10. If you want to play the latter two as a 10 in a game you need a further midfielder for the 6/8 roles. You then need two wide forwards and keep the existing two.

Edited by paul514
Had a better idea 😂

6 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Double swoop for Stengs and Myron Boadu, who also looks like a fantastic prospect.

Yes. I like. Maybe even a triple swoop and go for Koopmeiners too. Or a quadruple swoop and get Wijndal too.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Yes, why do you think I am not being serious? They are 2 of the best players in The Championship, there will be lots of clubs after them 

When we have a Brentford fan syaing there isn't going to be lots of interest in them, I fail to see how we could be aiming above our station. Signing anyone from the championship is below our station. We're in the Premier League. That's not to say we shouldn't buy anyone from there, nor that there is noone in the Championship that would improve our team. But,  saying they're above our station, having only ever played for a team outside the top flight, is bizarre.

Paying over the odds for them, on the other hand, is definitely not what we should be doing. And I am absolutely sure we won't given the leadership we have at the helm of our club. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Genie said:

There was a manager (didn’t catch who it was) on TalkSport earlier saying how tricky the market is. If you sell before you buy the other clubs know you’ve got money so prices go up. If you buy before you sell you could end up doubled up on players which becomes financially crippling.

It made me think about Grealish. If a big money deal was done for him to leave Villa would be trying their hardest to keep it under wraps until they’ve got replacements  agreed for those reasons. 

adam ruins everything GIF by truTV

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

When we have a Brentford fan syaing there isn't going to be lots of interest in them, I fail to see how we could be aiming above our station. Signing anyone from the championship is below our station. We're in the Premier League. That's not to say we shouldn't buy anyone from there, nor that there is noone in the Championship that would improve our team. But,  saying they're above our station, having only ever played for a team outside the top flight, is bizarre.

Paying over the odds for them, on the other hand, is definitely not what we should be doing. And I am absolutely sure we won't given the leadership we have at the helm of our club. 

You’re saying that anyone in The Championship is below our station? We could quite easily end up there again next season. We only stayed up by one point last season, we are extremely fortunate to be playing in the Premier League and shouldn’t take it for granted. Smith has done well since he has come in for me and has earned a fair crack. The Premier League is widely acknowledged to be the best league in the world and rightly so for me. I think we have overpaid in the past for the likes of Kodjia, Hogan and McCormack to name but a few and I hope we don’t make the same mistakes again. We seem to have a plan in place and the people at the top say the right things to the press but whether they actually carry these things out is another matter altogether. We can sign players from non-league if they are good enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Yes. I like. Maybe even a triple swoop and go for Koopmeiners too. Or a quadruple swoop and get Wijndal too.

On a hunch I looked at the AZ Alkmaar squad and it was correct, Jordy Claise plays for them.

Remember when he was all the rage after 2014 world cup "New Xavi" etc. Went to Southampton and did nothing of note and now back playing out his days in Holland.

No problem taking the odd prospect from over there but I'd prefer someone with a bit of international experience. Denziel Dumfries was actually a good suggestion the other day as he's done well for Holland last 18 months and won't cost too much in an area where we'll eventually need an upgrade.

Edit; Is Gudmundsson any good? 3 goals in 11 games for Iceland and only 23.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, Wes said:

Goal.com article (from Neil Jones so a bit more respectable than usual from that site for Liverpool according to them) states we, amongst a number of other clubs, have discussed a potential deal with Liverpool for Marko Grujic.

However the same article states that we are more likely to go after Phillip Billing in the same position.

Would be a decent signing and he probably speaks German and rashica probably speaks Serbian so could be a decent move to help them both settle.