Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

22 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Smith saying 55 million to much for Rahma and Watkins a d I have to agree. What's annoying is Brentford are asking those prices because they know we are involved and after them, I bet you though if we pull away from wanting to sign them that they will go lower there prices to about 40-45 million for some other premier club. It will be another Maupay situation where another club picks these Brentford players up for much cheaper than what we would of had to pay for them and Brentford piss me off with this type of behaviour. 

I also agree that 55 Million is far too much, if that sum is indeed correct, it’s only press talk and not official, it's all rumours and ill informed press talk, nothing direct from either club.

With regards to the price going up because its Villa is nonsensical, they are not going to give a different price for each prospective buyer, like all clubs BFC have every right to put a price on players heads, whether they get it or not it's down to the negotiation skills of each individual party over a price that's suitable for all, especially the players themselves.

Do the players themselves want to come to Villa?, Terms and conditions offered might not be good enough for them, and another team can offer more, Some might prefer to be London based, not everyone wants to live in the Midlands. How much personal profit are the agents after?, many things are involved in transfers.

As far as the Maupay situation developed it was believed that he and his partner preferred Sussex on the South Coast to the Midlands, it was only a rumour on social media, but a valid reason I would say.

These  transfer Windows are fun and each year brings the same speculation and guesswork, and there are many factors to be taken into account, at the end of the day I am sure most clubs will get what they want, at a price suitable to all parties.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I also agree that 55 Million is far too much, if that sum is indeed correct, it’s only press talk and not official, it's all rumours and ill informed press talk, nothing direct from either club.

With regards to the price going up because its Villa is nonsensical, they are not going to give a different price for each prospective buyer, like all clubs BFC have every right to put a price on players heads, whether they get it or not it's down to the negotiation skills of each individual party over a price that's suitable for all, especially the players themselves.

Do the players themselves want to come to Villa?, Terms and conditions offered might not be good enough for them, and another team can offer more, Some might prefer to be London based, not everyone wants to live in the Midlands. How much personal profit are the agents after?, many things are involved in transfers.

As far as the Maupay situation developed it was believed that he and his partner preferred Sussex on the South Coast to the Midlands, it was only a rumour on social media, but a valid reason I would say.

These  transfer Windows are fun and each year brings the same speculation and guesswork, and there are many factors to be taken into account, at the end of the day I am sure most clubs will get what they want, at a price suitable to all parties.

Of course. Although you have to wonder if this will affect Brentford's ability to bring in the type of player they have done in the past. The clubs whole transfer MO is 'stepping stone' and to act as a gateway to a 'bigger' club, offering a clear progression route. If Brentford start putting larger and larger fees (which is their right) above their players heads, some players may think better of joining. Maybe that was part of the thinking for Toney.

Just now, GENTLEMAN said:

Of course. Although you have to wonder if this will affect Brentford's ability to bring in the type of player they have done in the past. The clubs whole transfer MO is 'stepping stone' and to act as a gateway to a 'bigger' club, offering a clear progression route. If Brentford start putting larger and larger fees (which is their right) above their players heads, some players may think better of joining. Maybe that was part of the thinking for Toney.

Toney could of requested a reasonable minimum fee release clause if that was the case, though Brentford may not of agreed to it having been somewhat stung on the Konsa deal. 

I have no issue with Brentford wanting 55m but I just don’t want to pay it because it think there is better value out there.  We put Jacks price because we didn’t want to sell. Paying 55m for these two suggests they are our main targets which for me is disappointing as I thought we’d be aiming for higher calibre players not more lower level risks with a high cost.  They may work out brilliantly but it’s such a risk in my mind and not worth it.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

McKennie will be everywhere if the system allows. That's both a strength and a weakness. He's a true box-to-box mid instinctively, though he's filled in at just about every position aside from maybe left back and keeper. Could work nicely with Doug holding and orchestrating behind him and SJM taking turns bursting forward or even with SJM as more of an outright attacking mid against weaker teams. He'd bring a lot more raw physicality and grit than we currently have, that's for certain.

Good comment. I think McKennie would be a perfect signing.

Would be brilliant alongside Luiz, breaking up play and adding that extra bite in CM should Jack plays.

And I think he’d be equally good in a CM with Doug and SJM as you’ve described, with him being more box to box, should Jack still play LW.

I just really hope we can get make the deal happen.

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Toney could of requested a reasonable minimum fee release clause if that was the case, though Brentford may not of agreed to it having been somewhat stung on the Konsa deal. 

Yes but I think that proves my point, to a certain extent. Slightly OT, I actually think Toney situation is different but was using it as an example. I think he and his agent think that Premier league clubs are interested so no need to take the stepping stone.

My general point is that Brentford might end up shooting themselves in the foot by asking for larger and larger fees (as I've stated is of course within their right). Their whole transfer policy is buy potential, with the players largely agreeing as they are shown a clear pathway to a 'bigger' club. However, that starts to fall away, if their fees begin to price many clubs out. Potential Brentford targets will look at that and think twice or as you've stated will start to request minimum fee release clauses, which the club do not like, for obvious reasons.

How much would they have asked for Konsa without the min fee release clause? Would we have walked away and therefore would he have missed out on a move to a bigger club?

20 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Watkins does, yes. I do agree though, London is unfortunately a bigger draw than maybe it should be. 

Just now, SeanVilla said:

Watkins does, yes. I do agree though, London is unfortunately a bigger draw than maybe it should be. 

How do you know, have you asked him?, have you a genuine link you could send,  or are you going on ill informed or made up press reports

Just now, jonjon said:

How do you know, have you asked him?, have you a genuine link you could send,  or are you going on ill informed or made up press reports

Going on ill informed or made up press reports. We'll see where he ends up I guess 

1 minute ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yes but I think that proves my point, to a certain extent. Slightly OT, I actually think Toney situation is different but was using it as an example. I think he and his agent think that Premier league clubs are interested so no need to take the stepping stone.

My general point is that Brentford might end up shooting themselves in the foot by asking for larger and larger fees (as I've stated is of course within their right). Their whole transfer policy is buy potential, with the players largely agreeing as they are shown a clear pathway to a 'bigger' club. However, that starts to fall away, if their fees begin to price many clubs out. Potential Brentford targets will look at that and think twice or as you've stated will start to request minimum fee release clauses, which the club do not like, for obvious reasons.

How much would they have asked for Konsa without the min fee release clause? Would we have walked away and therefore would he have missed out on a move to a bigger club?

I'm sure they'd of asked for £20m as they did for any important member of their team that summer, I vaguely remember one of the Brentford posters on here floating that valuation around before the release clause became common knowledge as well.

I agree with your point absolutely, I just wanted to put forward that the any potential players joining do have the option to try and negotiate a release clause that is reasonable to both parties, and certainly if Brentford continue to over price then I'd imagine this would become more common.

Konsa and his agent were smart to negotiate that deal, and Brentford still made a huge profit on him so it's not like they completely lost out.

If the rumours are true and they want £55m then I can understand why the likes of Rashica are more favourable/important; he's played at a higher level and he is cheaper.

McKennie the same and Buendia too whilst we are at it...

I think the likes of Benrahma are third or fourth on the list for us after Rashica and others we probably don't even know about.

I'd be amazed if Chelsea were in for Benrahma (as was previously mentioned) a) because he'd be there already if that was the case b) he isn't good enough for them.

Of all the players we've been linked to I think McKennie is currently the one that I really hope we can get. Hourihane is ok coming off the bench, but having a midfield engine with McGinn and McKennie in it would be great.

If we don't get Rashica I'm ok with it as we've been linked with the likes of Buendia and Benrahma so not too concerned from that perspective. But we have to bring in a CM this summer. Imagine if McGinn gets injured again and we have 2 out of Lansbury, Nakamba or Hourihane to play alongside Luiz.

Edited by jacketspuds
I kant spel.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Very easily solved,  If the incoming player and agent have any doubts that Brentford could overpricing them, they just have a realistic release clause inserted into his contract.

Back to the rumoured meeting with Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici, I know others have mentioned Mattia Perin, but given we’ve been linked to big money deals for Ramsdale, Henderson, Cillessen, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Szczesny?

Unlikely I know but until we see the direction of travel with the first signing or two......you never know?

• Haha 1

I think the fact that literally none of our rivals have done much of any business speaks volumes for the market this window.

If other teams were obviously bidding and in talks with players that would have improved us I'd be bothered. I think we'll start the season with pretty much the squad we have now (as will most other teams). Business will get done later than usual this year.

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

Back to the rumoured meeting with Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici, I know others have mentioned Mattia Perin, but given we’ve been linked to big money deals for Ramsdale, Henderson, Cillessen, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Szczesny?

Unlikely I know but until we see the direction of travel with the first signing or two......you never know?

Szczesny is Juventus first choice keeper, we won't be signing him, just like we won't be signing Leonardo Bonucci or Paulo Dybala.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rayk said:

No chance. He's earning more than £100k/week.