Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, useless said:

Grealish shouldn't play as 'CAM' and should play where he's told not where he dictates.  Why so many insist he should be playing in central midfield is beyond me, he and the team are nowhere as good when he plays in that position, if you want play him there you'd have change the rest of the midfield as we're not good enough to play with a three man midfield of him, McGinn and Luiz, leaves us too exposed as that's too attack minded.

I think we just have to stop faffing about with these fantasies of him being a central-midfielder and play him in the poaition where he was one of the best players in the premier league last season and where he earned his current reputation.

Can't you see he's wasted out wide? He doesn't get on the ball anywhere near enough. He needs to be given a free role and he will get even better. We need two out and out wide attacking player who have pace to get in behind the defence and we need Grealish pulling the strings behind them. Trust me, that's the way forward.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Rather sad that a handful of fellow Villans could get pissed off enough at some fellow Villans having a bit of childish fun that the thread has been closed.

Not every one has to read every thread and every post, getting pissed off at this, mmmmm, can't imagine how these people cope with every day life.

This is not a rant, merely a personal observation. 

i dont like you lucille ball GIF

I personally think it’s a human rights issue. I may walk naked, except for a mask of course, to Parliament from The Highlands as a protest. I believe people will join me along the way until there are thousands of us in Parliament square. They may take our thread, but they’ll never rip Rashica from our hearts!!! 

• Like 3

For me, it's been a reasonable window so far but not great. The fact we still played Hourihane and Trez on Monday is evidence of that. McGinn also looks off the pace and it's affecting us in CM. As people say, we're still weak at LB and up front we're going to be reliant on Watkins who may or may not score goals. We still have Jota, Lansbury, Hause and Taylor on our books, and Davis looks like being around for the season even though for his development he would be best off going out on loan to see if he can score regularly when played regularly. 

If spending/FFP is an issue, JT is great friends with Lampard and obviously very highly thought of at Chelsea. There are plenty of players there not going to get much game time who we could bring in on loan that would not only improve the squad but the first team - Barkley, Loftus Cheek, Tammy, Christensen, Tomori, Hudson Odoi. I know we said last summer we're not looking at loans but I hope they've changed their mind on that because there are potentially some quality players we could bring in short term who could help establish us in this league until we're able to bring in that higher calibre of player. 

Priorities for me are LW, CM, ST, LB. Keep Engels and Guilbert around unless we're bringing in better there. Samatta can go but we can't go through the season with Watkins and Davis so would need another player to come in. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

36 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Can't you see he's wasted out wide? He doesn't get on the ball anywhere near enough. He needs to be given a free role and he will get even better. We need two out and out wide attacking player who have pace to get in behind the defence and we need Grealish pulling the strings behind them. Trust me, that's the way forward.

He wants too long on the ball to play in CM, he’s not infallible and does get caught in possession at times, if that happens in CM it can be a real problem.

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

January transfer window is like 1.45am in an 80's nightclub before the DJ plays the smoochies. 

Everyone is desperate, all the decent quality has long been snaffled up.  All that is left if the dregs,  but you convince yourself that they look far better than they really are. 

You wake up the next morning, look at what you've got next to you and think.  OH MY GOD, WHAT HAVE I DONE?

It's just not a place you want to be unless you are absolutely desperate. 

We need to snap up all the hotties now before we get the beer goggles on. 

Case and Point - Samatta. 

I wouldn't want to wake up next to him. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

There is a possibility we might be keeping some of our spending for January also.

Hope not. Almost always the same story in Jan, what teams want to let players go in mid-season who would materially improve our squad? That route leads to Samatta type signings not to the Ollie Watkins' level of player we actually need. 

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

But if we got another 5 on top of the 4 we already have, that's 9 players.  Basically buying a whole new first team!   

That's not realistically going to happen.

You could look at it that way,

Or 5 new 1st teams and 3 or 4 squad additions to give us improvement on those who we seem to think their time at Villa is coming to an end - Taylor, Lansbury, Samatta, etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Hope not. Almost always the same story in Jan, what teams want to let players go in mid-season who would materially improve our squad? That route leads to Samatta type signings not to the Ollie Watkins' level of player we actually need. 

Darren Bent 

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Ghoddos has signed for Brentford.....wonder if that means another one of their players can "move on" now?

Apparently we have been looking to sign Ghoddos for the last 16 months, hope he's worth the wait, We only have Said Benrahma left in the stock room now, the rest are not for sale, or so we have been told repeatedly by the management.

Just now, jonjon said:

Apparently we have been looking to sign Ghoddos for the last 16 months, hope he's worth the wait, We only have Said Benrahma left in the stock room now, the rest are not for sale, or so we have been told repeatedly by the management.

Not even Rico Henry? 

Go onnnnn, you know you want to. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Not even Rico Henry? 

Go onnnnn, you know you want to. 

Rico is the last person I would want to be sold, personally I thought he was our best player all last season, just ahead of Ollie & Said. 

If it weren't for lockdown we would probably be playing in the Championship this season. Luckily, a really shit situation meant that we were able to make important changes to the way we play.

But it doesn't hide the fact that there were some BIG gaps in the squad.

This window has addressed a good proportion of those deficits with a RB (although not a priority, I think Cash will be an very good signing), a ST (risky, but much better than what we have and looks good already), a RW (again, better than what we have) and a GK (huge signing). However, if we don't address the shortfalls that we have on the LW, CM and CB we could be in trouble again unless everyone stays fit throughout what will be a compressed season.

I'm confident that we will bring in some more players, it just takes time, especially when we also have to clear some of the players that won't get a game at all.

• Like 1