Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think we still need another 4 or 5 players in the LB, CB, MC, AML & ST roles.

Maybe we're not going to see much action until the final week of the window?...

Feels like too much change for me. I said at the start of the window that I would like no more than 7 signings,  given we bought Cash where I didn’t expect us to make a singing, that number becomes 6 effectively so I accept that number now may be a struggle to get what we need in. Watkins, Traore, Martinez an ideal 3 so far.

And for me... those 3 remaining signings in priority order would be:

Left Winger (Jack moves to middle and conor becomes an improvement on the bench over lansbury)

CB (backup to konsa and Mings otherwise were screwed)

CDM (an alternative to playing luiz and mcginn as the defensive 2 in midfield against top half opposition)

Left back I can live without for now, but it is a signing I'd have made over a right back if given the choice for this season.

Striker will be a replacement for Samatta if we sell him, which would have been outside my expectations when saying I wanted no more than 7.

I guess my concern with too many signings is it sees too much transition and potentially generates bad will. Losing guilbert and (to a lesser extent) Samatta just to make extra signings this window feels a bit drastic and doesnt reward loyalty in Fred's case. Obviously if it results in better players replacing them you weigh that up against the turmoil it causes, so can see the other side of the debate. 

20 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think he needs to improve and am very optimistic he can be quality for us again.

People aren't really quick to jump on it though are they? He was poor for a couple of months before his injury, which was excused by the injury. Then he was poor again after lockdown, which was excused by him not playing for ages and now when he looks bad it's again attributed to his injury absence.

Thankfully it's only been one game and against Fulham he should be a bit sharper and have more space to show what he can do.

He was poor when he first came back from injury.. He was then much improved in the last 4/5 games.

He has played 11 competitive matches since his injury, in 9 months. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He was poor when he first came back from injury.. He was then much improved in the last 4/5 games.

He has played 11 competitive matches since his injury, in 9 months. 

Ok, well I disagree he looked much better in the last 4/5 games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Oh, are we going to lock all of the other transfer threads then?

Very few transfer threads on here stay open anywhere near as long as that one with no confirmed movement.

I don't know why people take it so personally on that thread. Can't blame the mods who have to spend their free time clearing it of spam because it has become a meme.

I don't know how people aren't tired of everyone arguing 'facts' about it being him not wanting to come here or because Werder want more money up front interspersed with huge amounts of fish puns and Kenneth Williams Gifs anyway. So boring.

I know I should just not read it, but can't help myself when it's open just in case I miss something, at least know I'll know when it is open there is a new link.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

If Rashica is not happening (which is disappointing), I hope the Sarr links are true. Mentioned him at the start of the summer and with Liverpool seemingly no longer interested after signing Jota he'd be a fantastic addition. Would cost a lot but maybe we can go for a loan to buy as I've heard that Watford are open to that. Or possibly offer what we can up front (eg £25m) with the remaining £10-15m paid in instalments over the next 12-24 months. 

9 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If Rashica is not happening (which is disappointing), I hope the Sarr links are true. Mentioned him at the start of the summer and with Liverpool seemingly no longer interested after signing Jota he'd be a fantastic addition. Would cost a lot but maybe we can go for a loan to buy as I've heard that Watford are open to that. Or possibly offer what we can up front (eg £25m) with the remaining £10-15m paid in instalments over the next 12-24 months. 

I thought reports today suggested most things had been agreed between Liverpool and Watford and it shortly would be confirmed.

edit: just read Birmingham mail saying what you said so who knows

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Apart from the aforesaid Darren Bent other notable January signings include Van Dijk, Coutinho, Suarez, Aubameyeng, Laporte, Cahill, Matic....some value in there too!

Evra and Vidic too. 

I think great deals can be done in January, but if we're holding money back for then when the current squad (and first team) has weaknesses then it's a flawed strategy. 

I wouldn't necessarily say no to holding money back for January if we can get quality players in on loan but that's another story.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Liverpool have denied they're interested in Sarr, always seemed unlikely to me now they've signed Jota.

same for us though now we’ve signed Traore though wouldn’t it?