Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Him being upfront though means AEG and Trez are closer to starting games though....

Ideally we need 3 strikers and Traore, Rashica and Grealish alternating as wide options. Trez and AEG would still get minutes off the bench as it's a long season and we will get injuries just like last year although hopefully not as long term as some of the ones we had.

Which we have.

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

This...absolutely this. And given both Konsa (hamstring) and Mings (something to do with his knee?) were hobbling around at some point during yesterday's game it is actually more a case of when, not if.

CB is high on my list of needs at the moment. Just behind a right winger, and closely followed by a better Nakamba.

Exactly!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Still don’t believe Rashica is coming, seems to be a new CM as a priority and possibly a new striker.

Odd how you say that, yet there have been no links to this at all. Yes as fans we all say that we need one, but how have you come to conclusion the club think that’s a priority?

14 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

I’m wondering whether the club needs to move the dead wood on and clear the wages, prior to signing any new players.

Still don’t believe Rashica is coming, seems to be a new CM as a priority and possibly a new striker.

I doubt it will effect bringing people in at this moment but they do need to be got rid of there's hundreds of thousands a week going to waste

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Odd how you say that, yet there have been no links to this at all. Yes as fans we all say that we need one, but how have you come to conclusion the club think that’s a priority?

Because we’re short for quality in the midfield, we were linked to a quality CM earlier in the year and a couple of journalists have hinted that the club is interested in an 8.

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

Watkins, Davis and Wesley will all have to be injured at the same time for that to happen. We don't need to spend whatever we have left on a fourth striker...

Wesley is already injured and won’t be back until at least January. Davis is yet to score a PL goal and is prone to injury so the only decent striker we’d have available is Watkins. Without another striker we’d potentially be back to where we were last January if anything happened to Watkins, who we’d need to play every game in a compacted season, therefore increasing his chances of injury and fatigue. 

It isn’t the case of a striker or a CM we need both and a CD. There’s nothing to suggest that we won’t be trying to get those positions sorted. Jack said he was encouraged to stay after a chat with the owners. I doubt they told him we’re getting Traore and then that’s it. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, useless said:

We're signing Traoré as a right-winger, if he's doing well there we don't want to be in a position where we have to move him because we're inadequately covered in the centre-forward positions. Plus if you look at the line-ups of whenever he's played as a centre-forward he's always played with a strike partner. Pretty much every journalist is saying that Smith wants another striker and I think that's what will happen.

Phil McNulty says hello 👋

• Haha 2

Smith has said that Wesley won't be back beforeJanuary, he's not even in any kind of training at the moment, and when he does return it will take him a while to get match fit, we wont' be counting on him for the coming season. That just leaves Watkins and Davis, we'd be making the same mistake we made last season when we just had Wesley and Kodjia.

Not sure why people have got it into their heads that if we sign another striker it means we can't sign players in other positions, we don't have to spend all our remaining budget on a striker, we could bring someone in on a loan deal, or for a relatively modest fee.

It's also worth remembering that Davis is quite injury prone, I think in an ideal scenario we'd still like to send him out on loan, so even if we're counting Traoré as one of our centre-forward options we still need another if Samatta leaves.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

Traore covers striker too. But I still reckon a striker and winger are inbound.

I wonder if the reluctance to get loans in is still there. I hope not. If we can have an agreement in place too we should definitely look at them. Ignoring them is a luxury we cant afford yet.

I'd rather we have a genuine option we don't own on the bench than a bad one we do own.

Edited by Mazrim

Not complaining - as our spending is ambitious, circumstances dictate things and it’s not my money but...

Barca apparently about to take Max Aarons for Loan w/ Commitment to buy for £20m shows yet again that there is value in the market. Mostly at the top end strangely. Couple this with Liverpool’s signing of Tsimikas for £11m. Makes Cash for £16m seem worse.

We are in a very frustrating ‘phase’ to have money. It’s an age old dilemma that before we got relegated Fulham, West Ham, WBA and others were perpetually in. Spending inflated fees on the best players that are attracted to a club that has a risk of relegation and very minor ‘unique’ propositions. 

5 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Not complaining - as our spending is ambitious, circumstances dictate things and it’s not my money but...

Barca apparently about to take Max Aarons for Loan w/ Commitment to buy for £20m shows yet again that there is value in the market. Mostly at the top end strangely. Couple this with Liverpool’s signing of Tsimikas for £11m. Makes Cash for £16m seem worse.

We are in a very frustrating ‘phase’ to have money. It’s an age old dilemma that before we got relegated Fulham, West Ham, WBA and others were perpetually in. Spending inflated fees on the best players that are attracted to a club that has a risk of relegation and very minor ‘unique’ propositions. 

Our infrastructure (training facilities and stadium) and history are significantly better than any of those clubs. It doesn't make a huge difference in the scheme of things, but there is a slightly unique proposition about playing for the club that founded the league. Also, there are clear signs of intent from the owners for any concerned that history is no indicator of future ability.

We may still have to pay inflated fees,  but that's dictated by the selling club. It's the position we're in,  and I think they're doing OK with it so far.

• Like 1