Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

It doesn't matter if a full back has no end product all that matters is that they overlap which creates space for the winger to beat his man 1 on 1 rather than them playing 2 or 3 on 1. Remember how effective le ghazi looked early in the season when guilbert was playing well it wa s because he had time and space to beat his man and produce a good cross. 

I don't remember El-Ghazi playing well this season. He's had an awful season and shown a lack fight and confidence.

When I say end product I don't necessarily mean assists. I mean threatening crosses like what Elmo provides, or runs to the byline with low balls drilled across the edge of the six yard box, cut backs, successful dribble attempts. I have seen very little of that from Guilbert.  

Amavi was a good crosser BTW. Guilbert's crosses have been terrible.

Guilbert is agile and has good reflexes but for flat out pace not really quick, not slow either. A bit quick at best.

• Like 2

Not sure why people are saying Cantwell only if Jack leaves.
Imagine having Jack, Cantwell, Rashica, Buendia, in competition for the 2 wide places, plus the central attacking midfielder role, alongside McGinn. We would finally have a strong bench, being able to rotate players so they don't all end up being knackered, and sell one of Trez or AEG.

Doesn't mean we won't still need a CF, another CM and perhaps something in defence.
We don't know what the overall budget is, and who might leave. If we sold AEG (£7m) and Samatta (£8.5m), and the likes of Hogan (£3m), Jota (£3m), Nyland (£1m), Kalinic (£2.5m), Bree (£1m) and Lansbury (£1m) - we could bring in maybe £25m, and the squad would be massively better for it - the incoem would pay for a player, and the wages it would free up would pay for more!
(The figures in brackets are according to TransferMarkt.co.uk - might be balls, but is independent of fan emotion). 

• Like 1

Honestly don't think a central midfield of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn would work very well. I mean it might work well enough when we have the ball but I fear we would get bullied and overrun as soon as we don't have the ball.

SJM just needs to be more disciplined and become more of a DCM than a box to box CM. And maybe we need a no nonsense CB rather than a ball playing one like Konsa or Engels. Jack works his socks off defensively and from what I’ve read about Raschica, he is very good at tracking back and supporting the LB.

Remember too, the whole point of moving Jack to AM and bringing in a new front three is that we score more goals, not that get into their final third and the ball comes straight back at us because we have no cutting edge up front (as per this season).

Either we need 2 wide players and a new CM and to replace McGinn if Grealish is moved central or for me rather keep Grealish at LW and get a new CM and wide player in.

But if we intend to keep Jack at LW and he moves because he doesn’t want to play there where does that leave us??

I think Cantwell is a cracking player. Stood out for me in the home game vs Norwich. Had a pretty impressive first season in the Premier League and is only 21 (I think) so plenty more development to come. He's a local lad though so I wonder if he might stay put for another year or two.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Cantwell seemed to start the season well but I didn't really notice much of him from December onwards. I'd prefer Buendia, definitely.

I agree I’d prefer Buendia. If we’re in for both though I wouldn’t be too upset 

• Like 2

I don't think we're choosing between Buendia or Cantwell, if we want both we'll go for both, if we don't want either of them then they'll be left for someone else to take a punt on

58 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We haven't bought 1 player yet so not sure how it can be a raid. 

beat me to it

like it to be true though. not saying much but was easily their best player last season

As for DCMs I was slightly disappointed that we didn’t make a move for Philip Billing last season (and ended up with Nakamba)

Billing did well in both the Championship and Premier League whilst at Huddersfield and had a good season at Bournemouth. So no risk about settling in either to the country or the league.

He’s only just turned 24 and would provide the height and presence we lack in CM.....and he also has a monster throw in.

I’d give Bournemouth back what they paid to Huddersfield for him (£15m) but no more.

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

As for DCMs I was slightly disappointed that we didn’t make a move for Philip Billing last season (and ended up with Nakamba)

Billing did well in both the Championship and Premier League whilst at Huddersfield and had a good season at Bournemouth. So no risk about settling in either to the country or the league.

He’s only just turned 24 and would provide the height and presence we lack in CM.....and he also has a monster throw in.

I’d give Bournemouth back what they paid to Huddersfield for him (£15m) but no more.

I like Billings but I’d like us to get Ethan Ampadu from Chelsea who can play there or at CB too.

he’d possibly know Watkins from their Exeter days too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Buendia

i thought cantwell was top scorer and more highly thought of generally by their fanbase? dont really care either way, seemed like he has a bit of quality about him

Billing isn't a defensive midielder, Bournemouth tried him there but didn't impress, most of their fans will tell you that he only impressed when they played him as an attacking midfielder. When he impressed at Huddersfield he was more of an attacking midfieler as well.

• Like 1