Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Rashica plays right across the front line. Left, right or centre. He doesn't play as a traditional LW as it's their wing backs that provide the width. He's more of a central striker or wide striker.

As you should know Yuyu Osako plays the central ST/CF role.

Raschica predominantly plays on the left of the front three. That does not make him a central or wide striker.

Saying he’s a wide ST is like saying Jack, Trez or El Ghazi are wide STs.

image.thumb.png.49417fe44b71f7f3907015797f687fc5.png

Edited by rayk

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

As you should know Yuyu Osako plays the central ST/CF role.

Raschica predominantly plays on the left of the front three. That does not make him a central or wide striker.

Saying he’s a wide ST is like saying Jack, Trez or El Ghazi are wide STs.

image.thumb.png.49417fe44b71f7f3907015797f687fc5.png

Osako was filling in for Fullkrug who was injured nearly all season. The idea was to use Fullkrug as the central target man with Osako and Rashica as wide strikers either side of him. This had to change when Fullkrug got injured so Rashica and Osako kind of interchange across the front line with Josh Sargent. One minute he'd be out wide and the next he'd be inside. He's definitely more of a striker than a traditional winger was my point. There would absolutely be room for him and Grealish in the same team, both playing to their strengths. I love the idea of a front 3/4 that can interchange with each other. That's why Watkins would also go well with the signing of Rashica as he can play right across the front line too. It would be a nightmare for defences if we had a front line like that as they wouldn't know who to mark or where they were going.

• Like 2

He's definitely more of a striker than a traditional winger was my point. There would absolutely be room for him and Grealish in the same team, both playing to their strengths. I love the idea of a front 3/4 that can interchange with each other. 

Let’s agree to differ on the winger vs ST. I agree they’d be room for both him and Jack in the same side but it would be Raschica LW, Jack AM albeit that they could interchange positions during a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I feel you’re being slightly harsh, on Targett, at least. He’s not lightning fast, but I wouldn’t call him slow. He’s probably classed as ‘average’ in terms of pace.

I see Targett’s negatives as his lapses of concentration and how often he seems to pick up small injuries.

However, his positives are that he’s capable defensively, good in attack, technically good on the ball and has age on his side to improve further. I’m sure there was a stat going around at some point, about how he was only second to Alexander-Arnold in Key Passes from defenders, or something like that.

I feel that, whether we like it or not, we’re not going to move a £14m defender into a back-up role. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m a fan of Guilbert, and he’s one of the fastest players in our squad, but he seems a bit ‘Amavi’ at times. Great going forward but often out of position when defending. Saying that, he also has age on his side, has his own positives and could turn into a really good fullback.

I think our best option is to bring in a versatile fullback that could play both sides, to replace Guilbert when he’s out of form, or Targett when he throws up at the side of the pitch.

Targett is slow. We defended quite deep most if the season so he could cope (but still looked suspect). But isn't particularly agile so every quick tricky winger terrorised him. Neil Taylor looked better defensively. Going forward yes a good player. We really need to defend higher up the pitch which will really expose him. Wan Bissaka cost 60 million so in comparison 14m is not a lot.

Guilbert links up well and bursts forward with a bit of pace, but i wouldn't really class  him as fast or quick. Good going forward really? His crossing has been poor and his dribbles aren't great either very little end product. I think the whole good going forward is a myth because of his bursts forward and one twos. Defensively he's weak of stature (Sterling out muscled him), means he always has to go to ground. 

Both of them are weak in one on one situations. Look at Perreira at Leicester now that's  a quality fullback (no chance of getting him). Compare our two to him and then tell me they are good enough for a club of our size and ambition.

• Like 1

I fully aggree........... if we are to push ourselves higher up the division, then at least id be looking at two new fullbacks of quality

Not saying we will, but its required as the two we have are bottom 4 material and I dont think theyve got enough in the locker to improve 

They would make as much a difference to our team as new forwards IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Guilbert links up well and bursts forward with a bit of pace, but i wouldn't really class  him as fast or quick. Good going forward really? His crossing has been poor and his dribbles aren't great either very little end product. I think the whole good going forward is a myth because of his bursts forward and one twos. Defensively he's weak of stature (Sterling out muscled him), means he always has to go to ground. 

Really? I've had moments watching us where I thought he looked like The Flash recovering. Maybe it's just timing of tackles I dunno. 

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Targett is slow. We defended quite deep most if the season so he could cope (but still looked suspect). But isn't particularly agile so every quick tricky winger terrorised him. Neil Taylor looked better defensively. Going forward yes a good player. We really need to defend higher up the pitch which will really expose him. Wan Bissaka cost 60 million so in comparison 14m is not a lot.

Both of them are weak in one on one situations. Look at Perreira at Leicester now that's  a quality fullback (no chance of getting him). Compare our two to him and then tell me they are good enough for a club of our size and ambition.

It doesn't matter if a full back has no end product all that matters is that they overlap which creates space for the winger to beat his man 1 on 1 rather than them playing 2 or 3 on 1. Remember how effective le ghazi looked early in the season when guilbert was playing well it wa s because he had time and space to beat his man and produce a good cross. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rayk said:

Let’s agree to differ on the winger vs ST. I agree they’d be room for both him and Jack in the same side but it would be Raschica LW, Jack AM albeit that they could interchange positions during a game.

I think we agree in a round about way haha. What I meant was that he's not an old left fashioned winger like Ashley Young. He'll play further forward. But yeah, there's definitely room for him and Grealish in the same team. I don't think people need to worry as he's not a Grealish replacement.

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Everything changes if Jack goes, Jack doesn't get replaced, a whole system replaces Jack.

Agreed.

Now, if we secured Rashica, and got 80 mill for Jack, we could get 2 or 3 more TOP players to integrate I to it.

However obviously hoping this is the case WITH Jack also staying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Everything changes if Jack goes, Jack doesn't get replaced, a whole system replaces Jack.

If the worst comes to the worst and he does go, then it's promising that there seems to be signs that a system to replace him is being well thought out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayk said:

I’m pretty confident Jack will stay. Signing quality like Raschica are designed to keep him by building a team around him and allowing him to play at AM.

I think so too. I suppose there will be an element of doubt or nervousness until the window closes though, unless he signs a new contract, which would be the best signing we can make this summer.

• Like 1

Honestly don't think a central midfield of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn would work very well. I mean it might work well enough when we have the ball but I fear we would get bullied and overrun as soon as we don't have the ball.

No doubt this midfield with 2 additional quality wide players that can win back the ball and a better striker would help us have more possession in dangerous areas but last season we averaged 43.8% possession and a lot of it was in our half with us defending very deep.

Either we need 2 wide players and a new CM and to replace McGinn if Grealish is moved central or for me rather keep Grealish at LW and get a new CM and wide player in.

We obviously also need a new attacker. And a  experienced CB and competition at full back and maybe a GK depending on Heaton and...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed.

Now, if we secured Rashica, and got 80 mill for Jack, we could get 2 or 3 more TOP players to integrate I to it.

However obviously hoping this is the case WITH Jack also staying.

Bang on, he is everything to us, we are everything to him. If this club was still under Lerner or Xia its a no brainer for Jack to go. Things are happening, we are on a new path with people that know what they are doing and have the money to make it happen.

4 minutes ago, Pembers said:

I highly doubt it's at all reputable and should probably be ignored but according to them this has happened.

'continues' is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that tweet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, useless said:

If we sign Rashica I don't think there's any chance that we're then going to go and spend big money on another winger, we won't be buying both him and Buendia, that would probably take up close to half our transfer allowance. Grealish and Rashica would be first choice wide forwards, with Trezeguet and El Ghazi as back up options, maybe if one of those two leave we'll bring in another winger but doubt it would be an expensive option. Also if Watkins signs he can also play on the wing.

I think people are getting too fixated with play-maker types, we need big investment in other areas too, desperatley so in midfield, when you look at it we've only really got two genuinely decent central-midfielders McGinn and Luiz, and even with those there are slight question marks, can JM7 get back to his form previous to his injuries and will Luiz be able to continue his good form since returning from lockdown.

I for one, would be delighted if we spent close to half of our transfer allowance on Rashica and Buendia. You have to pay for quality and if we use the rest of our budget, to bring in another two players of similar quality, that would be a job well done, in my opinion. Four players in of such ability, would make a big difference to us.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pembers said:

I highly doubt it's at all reputable and should probably be ignored but according to them this has happened.

We haven't bought 1 player yet so not sure how it can be a raid.