Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Have you seen much of Rashica?

Never even heard of him before this thread As I don’t really watch football but I am not convinced he is one of the best players in the world, ever

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Never even heard of him before this thread As I don’t really watch football but I am not convinced he is one of the best players in the world, ever

I don't think anyone is saying that to be fair. Personally i think he would suit us. Would prefer Zaha, but i don't want to be too greedy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I think both fullbacks are extremely suspect defensively, and Targett is as slow as molasses. Backs up at best imo. 

Konsa was good in the last three games, otherwise he looked like an inexperienced and lightweight young Centre back. I think he bulked up a bit I  the lockdown, which certainly helped. Not convinced by Engels so another RCB is necessary.

So you think we should get 3 more defensive players for starting positions in our defence? 

We will never grow as a club if we buy a new team every year! This isn't football manager come on. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

So you think we should get 3 more defensive players for starting positions in our defence? 

We will never grow as a club if we buy a new team every year! This isn't football manager come on. 

I think we need 2 more starters for our defence and if the right player is available get competition for Konsa. The fullbacks at the club aren't good enough. What is the point of settling them down when they aren't good enough? 

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel you’re being slightly harsh, on Targett, at least. He’s not lightning fast, but I wouldn’t call him slow. He’s probably classed as ‘average’ in terms of pace.

I see Targett’s negatives as his lapses of concentration and how often he seems to pick up small injuries.

However, his positives are that he’s capable defensively, good in attack, technically good on the ball and has age on his side to improve further. I’m sure there was a stat going around at some point, about how he was only second to Alexander-Arnold in Key Passes from defenders, or something like that.

I feel that, whether we like it or not, we’re not going to move a £14m defender into a back-up role. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m a fan of Guilbert, and he’s one of the fastest players in our squad, but he seems a bit ‘Amavi’ at times. Great going forward but often out of position when defending. Saying that, he also has age on his side, has his own positives and could turn into a really good fullback.

I think our best option is to bring in a versatile fullback that could play both sides, to replace Guilbert when he’s out of form, or Targett when he throws up at the side of the pitch.

Tied for 3rd in big chances created behind TAA, Robertson and the same as Azpi. Also the same as grealish and Hourihane

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

My first though was how do you watch Villa ... But then I remembered watching Villa isn't like watching football at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

In the Bundesliga this season Rashica spent 

1,114 minutes as a CF/ST
553 minutes as a LW
468 minutes as a CAM/SS

This is what I keep saying. His best position is without a doubt in the centre. He'd be wasted on the left, which also happens to be Grealish's best position. If we sign Rashica, we'll be signing him to play up front.

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel you’re being slightly harsh, on Targett, at least. He’s not lightning fast, but I wouldn’t call him slow. He’s probably classed as ‘average’ in terms of pace.

I see Targett’s negatives as his lapses of concentration and how often he seems to pick up small injuries.

However, his positives are that he’s capable defensively, good in attack, technically good on the ball and has age on his side to improve further. I’m sure there was a stat going around at some point, about how he was only second to Alexander-Arnold in Key Passes from defenders, or something like that.

I feel that, whether we like it or not, we’re not going to move a £14m defender into a back-up role. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m a fan of Guilbert, and he’s one of the fastest players in our squad, but he seems a bit ‘Amavi’ at times. Great going forward but often out of position when defending. Saying that, he also has age on his side, has his own positives and could turn into a really good fullback.

I think our best option is to bring in a versatile fullback that could play both sides, to replace Guilbert when he’s out of form, or Targett when he throws up at the side of the pitch.

I quite like Targett and won't say anything very harsh, but I feel his big weakness is the turn of pace. Watching him I feel any ball that actually is moved past him, he takes an eternity to react to it and get moving to recover. 

7 hours ago, pete101 said:

I'd love to think our owners are in the mindset of with the covid discount on players ( I know that sounds awful ) we might be better to invest a bit more this summer than next when prices will probably inflate back up , but who really knows

Ollie Watkins for 25m and Sancho for 110m doesn't make me think player values are plummeting. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rayk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In the Bundesliga this season Rashica spent 

1,114 minutes as a CF/ST
553 minutes as a LW
468 minutes as a CAM/SS

So do you think we are reportedly interested in him as a CF/ST/SS rather than as a wide player (if so predominantly LW)?

And do you think he’d get the nod over Jack for the AM role?

Me neither....so that’s why I reckon he’s being brought in (assuming he is) as a LW.

*Edit* I also reckon playing as on the left of a front 3 in a 3-4-3 counts as a CF/ST btw.

He's best as a central striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender. He has tremendous pace and loves running in behind the defence. He'd be wasted as a LW but he could cover either wing if needed. I'd be amazed if we don't play him as a striker if we do sign him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

This is what I keep saying. His best position is without a doubt in the centre. He'd be wasted on the left, which also happens to be Grealish's best position. If we sign Rashica, we'll be signing him to play up front.

According to Bremen fans he plays overwhelmingly as a LW. They play a 3-4-3 so when he plays in the left of the front 3 he counts as either a cf/St or SS. He also plays RW for Kosovo as well so he can play both sides. 

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m just surprised everyone has gone from “he will be off even if we stay up” and messages on the lines of “thank you for your service and all the best” to speculating whether he will be on the left or in the centre. I’d obviously be thrilled if he stayed but I just don’t get what’s changed in people’s minds to be convinced that he will be part of a front three or whatever, that’s all. 

There was some talk of him getting a new 5 year contract, which has calmed people down. But that could just be so his agent has something tangible to negotiate a better deal at Man Utd. Who knows. 

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

According to Bremen fans he plays overwhelmingly as a LW. They play a 3-4-3 so when he plays in the left of the front 3 he counts as either a cf/St or SS. He also plays RW for Kosovo as well so he can play both sides. 

I follow Bremen too and have seen every game this season. They play 3 at the back with wing backs, then 2 in centre mid with 3 strikers. Rashica plays right across the front line. Left, right or centre. He doesn't play as a traditional LW as it's their wing backs that provide the width. He's more of a central striker or wide striker. He loves balls played over the defence as he has explosive pace and it really causes nightmares for defences. Very quick feet, moves the ball quickly, good work rate and energy and a team player. Only negatives would be he's not a physical player. But he's absolutely quality and he reminded me of Grealish last season in the same way that he carried us, Rashica carried Bremen and they survived largely thanks to him. At times he looked desperate to be playing with half decent team mates. If we sign him and play him to his strengths, we have a really exciting player.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I quite like Targett and won't say anything very harsh, but I feel his big weakness is the turn of pace. Watching him I feel any ball that actually is moved past him, he takes an eternity to react to it and get moving to recover. 

Maybe it’s his acceleration that’s the problem. I’ve never noticed an issue with his pace, especially when I’ve seen him burst into the box or overlap on the wing. A ‘slow’ player would struggle to overlap as well as Targett has consistently done.

We definitely need cover at FB but they are not a priority.

IMO it’s ST, 2 wingers, DCM first. Only then it would be looking at cover at FB.

(Obviously, this assumes we don’t need a CB i.e. Engels is still in favour with DS / wants to play for us.)

Rico Henry at LB has been touted and the fee of £5m-£7m feels about right.

I wouldn’t want to spend anymore on that RB cover, especially as we have Kaine Hayden coming through the ranks.

This is where I’d hope Lange could recommend someone from the Scandinavian market.