Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think this is old thinking. Your defensive midfielder is a "unit" who just breaks up play etc.

Actually, if you have a guy who can screen the back 4 and then pick passes to get attacks moving, its the best solution.

Agree and thats what I said a talented one, a yaya type 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think this is old thinking. Your defensive midfielder is a "unit" who just breaks up play etc.

Actually, if you have a guy who can screen the back 4 and then pick passes to get attacks moving, its the best solution.

The first line in your description is old thinking.......as if its just nothing, breaking up play,...... its bloody crucial.

But Toure,Viera, Rodigo,Fernandino, Busquets, Makalele, Essien....just to name a few of the top class CDM's of the past and present....is not old thinking, its prudent thinking.

Now its unlikely we will get ones as good as them......but that is the type of player to look for, and go after.

None are playmakers,schemers or wingers, granted..which is what we have an itch for......but they are the engine room and dictate and dominate play, that orchestrate and manage the game.

your final line, is precisely, what we are talking about....its just usually those players do have physical presence to help them execute that role.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

Just now, SeanVilla said:

Since lockdown, we all agree Douglas Luiz was our best player. We went from the worst shots conceded per 90 to the 4th best in the league. Now whilst I don't think our defence is as horrendous as some people think, he had a massive impact on our improvement in that area (In my opinion). A lot of people see how technical he is and think he needs to move up the pitch but for me, this is what makes him perfect for this position. He's the perfect number 6 for us and will only get better. Would be madness to take him out of that role. I'd be confident going into the new season with that same back 4 and Douglas sitting in front. Further up the pitch is where we should (and I think we are) focusing on improving.

Alot of that was down to his positioning , he doesn't make what you would call hard tackles but he has  knack of being in the right place at right time to intercept balls and get blocks in.He is also good at standing tackles where a player tries to go past him and he gets a toe in to get the ball away without giving away a foul .Can only get better

6 minutes ago, SeanVilla said:

Since lockdown, we all agree Douglas Luiz was our best player. We went from the worst shots conceded per 90 to the 4th best in the league. Now whilst I don't think our defence is as horrendous as some people think, he had a massive impact on our improvement in that area (In my opinion). A lot of people see how technical he is and think he needs to move up the pitch but for me, this is what makes him perfect for this position. He's the perfect number 6 for us and will only get better. Would be madness to take him out of that role. I'd be confident going into the new season with that same back 4 and Douglas sitting in front. Further up the pitch is where we should (and I think we are) focusing on improving.

I think this whole idea of a "Brick Shithouse" DM is a bit outdated...  None of the top teams in the world have one right now.  They're all technical midfielders who can position and pass well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't understand English football's obsession with a destroyer in the middle of the park. Look at most of the top teams, they don't play with one. They play with sweeper DCM's who have excellent positional awareness and an eye for a pass. We have an unbelievably talented player in Luiz who fits that bill to a tee. Why mess that up by pushing him up so we can play some brute behind him to "do the dirty work"?

hahaha...  Basically just posted the same thing, but you're a bit more eloquent, as per usual.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

100% takes pressure off the back 4 too which should obviously cut down on errors.

Give us a name TRO, who could we realistically get?

I honestly don't follow, European Football as much as some of the youngers fans do, so I don't know names ......The club have all the data and contacts.

Its more a question of does the manager, scouts, recruiters, see the role as important to them......I think is we got a good one, it would transform us......and certainly give us more strength away from home.

I guess, if you get one from South America like Fernandino.....they can play a bit too.

These players are out there, it is spotting them, thats the tricky bit.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Will be p500 before a signing is made i think

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Rashica announcement imminent

Best we make a start on spamming this thread then..

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well that's not true at all. All I said in that thread I found it funny so many people were so excited by a player they most likely had never seen play.

What's funnier -- and I'm not referring to you here specifically -- is that those of us have seen the player being talked about at any particular time are often told we're wrong by the people who haven't. 😂

5 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Targett is slow. We defended quite deep most if the season so he could cope (but still looked suspect). But isn't particularly agile so every quick tricky winger terrorised him. Neil Taylor looked better defensively. Going forward yes a good player. We really need to defend higher up the pitch which will really expose him. Wan Bissaka cost 60 million so in comparison 14m is not a lot.

Guilbert links up well and bursts forward with a bit of pace, but i wouldn't really class  him as fast or quick. Good going forward really? His crossing has been poor and his dribbles aren't great either very little end product. I think the whole good going forward is a myth because of his bursts forward and one twos. Defensively he's weak of stature (Sterling out muscled him), means he always has to go to ground. 

Both of them are weak in one on one situations. Look at Perreira at Leicester now that's  a quality fullback (no chance of getting him). Compare our two to him and then tell me they are good enough for a club of our size and ambition.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree here.

I feel you’re expecting a lot more than we’re capable of, especially if you’re using a £60m defender bought by Man Utd or a £22m Champions League player bought by Leicester as an example of the type of players we should be buying, or justifying a £14m Targett being pushed to the bench.

In my opinion, Targett isn’t slow and Guilbert is fast. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Guilbert is fast, but not rapid like an Adama Traore. Targett is average paced, but not slow like a lumbering Carlos Cuellar trying to backtrack.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I felt compelled to trawl a certain website that does player stats and found this name: Domenico Berardi. He's 6ft tall, player as an attacker for Sassuolo in Italy and scored 14 and had 10 assists from 29 appearances this last season. He is only 26 and according to another website that values players he has a market value of around £17m. He is left-footed but mainly plays as attacking right midfield so would replace El Ghazi. 

Anybody got any knowledge of him? 

I believe we've talked about him before, but that was probably a week and 300 pages of nothing ago. He was once seen as the next Italian superstar. Hasn't lived up to that, but is still a good player. I don't think he's leaving Sassuolo for England. Maybe Juventus or a bigger Italian club.

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't understand English football's obsession with a destroyer in the middle of the park. Look at most of the top teams, they don't play with one. They play with sweeper DCM's who have excellent positional awareness and an eye for a pass. We have an unbelievably talented player in Luiz who fits that bill to a tee. Why mess that up by pushing him up so we can play some brute behind him to "do the dirty work"?

the idea that you play with a tackler has been replaced by the idea that you play with someone who can intercept 

they need to be able to pivot with the ball too which is one of our biggest problems, it would be interesting to see a stat on what percentage of our long balls played by the back 4 were made whilst they had a DMC 10 yards in front of them in open space, you would hope that % is low, that's more important if we want to be a progressive ball playing attacking team

• Like 2