Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

It makes no sense. 
I can understand not placing draconian travel restrictions or enforced shut downs of businesses - for the time being.

But to wilfully allow needless large gatherings, when there is a highly contagious disease probably already widespread in the population is insane.

To be honest, whether wilfully allowing or not you can’t really stop people from congregating, this is where individuals need to step up and make personal choices for the better of all.

I have launched a behavioural change campaign to encourage people to dock penises using antiviral lube. The scientific evidence suggests that compliance with a full ban on penis docking will be low, so we are using advanced behavioural modelling to foster a culture of safe interwilly contact. Line your foreskin with bonjela while singing the theme tune to the A Team and make sure to point at your friend and shout “your foreskin” if he forgets. You should both dock while leaning back to maintain a 1m distance between your faces (if necessary, play with yourself while humming the national anthem to generate extra distance). State of the art data science underpins this empirically grounded advice.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I make bread for a living and we've just been following the wash your hands, don't stick your fingers in your orifices advice as we always have done.  I've never really thought that much about it but it probably explains why I haven't had a cold in about 5 years.  I assume we will stay working as long as possible as people need bread.

As long as people knead bread?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be honest, whether wilfully allowing or not you can’t really stop people from congregating, this is where individuals need to step up and make personal choices for the better of all.

Agree which is why I said “ allowing needless large gatherings”. Whilst people will still go about their business it’s not likely that without the football 40, 000 people would’ve descended on Aston tomorrow.  Or indeed 3 or 4 people on Small Heath. Those large gatherings which are ( a) needless and (b) preventable, should be prevented.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my wife's company which is a small insolvency lawyers office has gone out yesterday and bought them all laptops so they can be sent home

Sir,

I would be interested in buying shares in this company.

Here is my money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So do we think this is real? Isn't the Guardian and the NYT  somewhat OK publications?

Satellite images show Iran has built mass graves amid coronavirus outbreak

Trenches in city of Qom confirm worst fears about extent of the epidemic and the government’s subsequent cover-up

Satellite images of mass graves in the city of Qom suggest Iran’s coronavirus epidemic is even more serious than the authorities are admitting.

The pictures, first published by the New York Times, show the excavation of a new section in a cemetery on the northern fringe of Iran’s holy city in late February, and two long trenches dug, of a total length of 100 yards, by the end of the month.

They confirm the worst fears about the extent of the epidemic and the government’s subsequent cover-up. On 24 February, at the time the trenches were being dug, a legislator from Qom, 75 miles (120 km) south of Tehran, accused the health ministry of lying about the scale of the outbreak, saying there had already been 50 deaths in the city, at a time when the ministry was claiming only 12 people had died from the virus nationwide.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-iran-mass-graves-qom

We live in interesting times. Starting with my generation, all of us born since the war have (in the west at least) had a pretty easy life. The odd brush war, a couple of stock market crashes, but nothing on the scale of the Hitler/Stalin mass killings or the two world wars. This looks like it might be our Big One. Personally, I'm not particularly scared of dying - I've had a good run, and when you gotta go, you gotta go. I am however worried about my wife (62 and with a compromised immune system) and my children and grandchildren. Having said I'm not scared of dying, I'd always rather fancied fading painlessly away in a comfy bed, with the family around me, while I passed on the secret homebrew recipe, or some such. Gasping for breath on a trolley in a corridor doesn't sound too appealing, tbh. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

We live in interesting times. Starting with my generation, all of us born since the war have (in the west at least) had a pretty easy life. The odd brush war, a couple of stock market crashes, but nothing on the scale of the Hitler/Stalin mass killings or the two world wars. This looks like it might be our Big One. Personally, I'm not particularly scared of dying - I've had a good run, and when you gotta go, you gotta go. I am however worried about my wife (62 and with a compromised immune system) and my children and grandchildren. Having said I'm not scared of dying, I'd always rather fancied fading painlessly away in a comfy bed, with the family around me, while I passed on the secret homebrew recipe, or some such. Gasping for breath on a trolley in a corridor doesn't sound too appealing, tbh. 

Im 56 with Asthma - but more worried about my son (22) who also has asthma - but was so ill with flu last year - he was coughing up blood and could even swallow water at one stage.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

So do we think this is real? Isn't the Guardian and the NYT  somewhat OK publications?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/coronavirus-iran-mass-graves-qom

If you actually look at the pictures, it turns out to be 'Google Earth on the highest zoom'. You can also see the car they drove there with 'from space' as well. Highly irresponsible journalism IMO. 

• Like 1

Â