Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Friend of mine works at LHR in the ground crew area   , they've been given a letter saying  , either take 11 weeks off unpaid or write to us and tell us you are retiring next year and you can carry on working , but will have to retire next year  , he's in his mid 50's presumably they weren't issuing retirement letters to 20 year olds  , but either way I imagine people at ACAS will be working overtime in the coming weeks

A fight broke out earlier today at a local pharmacy close to where I live. A guy wanted to buy alcogel but it was sold out so he got aggressive so they had to call the police. What an absolute moron.

And it appears the way Sweden has handled it has as predicted backfired. by constantly downplaying the risks up until pretty much yesterday and then doing and almost 180 by admitting it's getting out of control they have managed to create if not a panic yet then at least a huge distrust and a lot of fear and anger. Well done everyone involved.

As always a massive shout out to our medical staff who are doing and incredible job under extremely difficult circumstances. Understaffed and running out of supplies while everyone in charge keeps blaming everyone else.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I work in central Birmingham for Barclays and my boss went to our London office on Monday. He got back and said that they have hand sanitizers everywhere you turn.

What do we have in our Birmingham office? Nothing.

We've had an email to say that the cleaners are increasing their duties, but they still seem to appear at the usual times, lazily wiping the same dusty old rag over the desks and taps. I've just been to the kitchen to make a coffee and the taps for washing hands aren't even pouring out warm water. This is an office with probably 500 people in it.

I'm not at risk myself, but as my daughter is under 2, my wife is pregnant, and my dad has stage 3 cancer, I'm going to work from home from next Monday. For how long, I'm not sure.Do I just work from home for weeks/ months until things start to look on the rise?

I don’t know mate, sounds like your office is a bit dodge though. 

With the rate of growth in infection I don’t think No.10 can hold the line of ‘keep calm and carry on’ for more than 2 weeks. They say we’re 4 weeks behind Italy but 2 seems more likely given the total lack of control measures in place. 

I’m guessing that we’ll be in a general lockdown by the 27th at which point it’s taken out of our hands and individuals won’t have to worry about justifying their decisions after that.

In the grand scheme of things, getting a telling off by some no-mark  Vs the potential consequences of doing as your told for a bit speaks for itself. 

• Like 3

i'm terrified by the - 'going to affect 80% of people and 1% will die' stats... with some suggestion that it might actually be 3% that die... 

I cant even deal... its just... f***. 

Edited by Tayls

10 minutes ago, Awol said:

I don’t know mate, sounds like your office is a bit dodge though. 

With the rate of growth in infection I don’t think No.10 can hold the line of ‘keep calm and carry on’ for more than 2 weeks. They say we’re 4 weeks behind Italy but 2 seems more likely given the total lack of control measures in place. 

I’m guessing that we’ll be in a general lockdown by the 27th at which point it’s taken out of our hands and individuals won’t have to worry about justifying their decisions after that.

In the grand scheme of things, getting a telling off by some no-mark  Vs the potential consequences of doing as your told for a bit speaks for itself. 

The daft thing in my office is that over 150 of us are being made redundant this year, and many of us have very little work on at the moment anyway - and - we have full working from home facilities, because all of us have laptops and often work from home for 1-2 days a week anyway.

It's crazy that they haven't just said to us "anyone who has the facility to work from home can do so". My boss won't object to me working from home because of my families circumstances, but there are others in my office who want to but feel like they can't because if disciplined it could effect their redundancy payout (unlikely, I know, but people worry when their only silver-lining of being made redundant is a payout).

• Like 1

I've convinced myself I've got it.  I can't be the only one, surely?!

No fever, but my breathing the last few days has been what I imagine it's like having mild asthma.  Mild sore throat. Nothing else.

The long-haired General* thinks I'm just being a tit.

*copyright @Awol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The daft thing in my office is that over 150 of us are being made redundant this year, and many of us have very little work on at the moment anyway - and - we have full working from home facilities, because all of us have laptops and often work from home for 1-2 days a week anyway.

It's crazy that they haven't just said to us "anyone who has the facility to work from home can do so". My boss won't object to me working from home because of my families circumstances, but there are others in my office who want to but feel like they can't because if disciplined it could effect their redundancy payout (unlikely, I know, but people worry when their only silver-lining of being made redundant is a payout).

My company has just updated it's policy, and we have been told to work from home until further notice if you like you say have the facility to do so.

• Like 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

No fever, but my breathing the last few days has been what I imagine it's like having mild asthma.  Mild sore throat. Nothing else.

*copyright @Awol

I'm the same.

It's the sort of symptoms you usually ignore and they go away after 3 days (which is what I'm sure this is)

Now all you can think of is the virus. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

*copyright @Awol

Anxiety kicking in for the breathing part? I keep getting feelings where I struggle to take a deep breath, so find myself yawning in order to get one... 

Just now, Tayls said:

Anxiety kicking in for the breathing part? I keep getting feelings where I struggle to take a deep breath, so find myself yawning in order to get one... 

Possibly.  I was very stressed about the possibility of 2 weeks in Sri Lanka from this weekend.

Yep, I've always had headaches on and off for a bit ( getting that checked out independent of this ) , and phantom muscle pain pulses and last night a dry throat when I woke up to cough twice made me twitchy. Feel absolutely fine now. That stuff happens anyway. What's a proportional response?

7 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I'm the same.

It's the sort of symptoms you usually ignore and they go away after 3 days (which is what I'm sure this is)

Now all you can think of is the virus. 

Not really,  like most people I expect,  I immediately thought of Bad Aids when I read this.

Â