Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, sne said:

All European countries except the UK, Sweden, Finland, Holland, Serbia, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Estonia and Latvia have now closed their schools at least temporarily.

29 countries going one way and these ones the opposite. Hopefully both approaches will turn out successful.

image.jpeg.2151bdcb70a8154df50d8772fbf57501.jpeg

Edit: One for the Swedes

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

First case in this tiny little Scottish town - a dirty student, inevitably. Panic buying here today, too. The poor fools have failed to prepare.

My moment as Lord King of the Porridge Gobblers approaches. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Another thing that hasn't been much talked about: never mind the panic buying of bogrolls, what about food supplies generally? The supermarkets are probably right now getting a massive number of customers wanting to switch to doorstep delivery. Can they cope with the increased demand? And what about their supply chain when the food distribution warehouses and factories get hit by the virus? When does the looting start? Zombie apocalypse, anybody? 

This is the fear in the back of my mind.

My kids' schools both announced today they're closing next week.   Then the county announced a state of emergency and that all schools must close for at least the next 3 weeks.  One of the first deaths in California was in the hospital a mile or so down the road from me.

The hospital I work in has one infected patient in a ward that's physically isolated and has been set up to house/treat infected patients.  Entry to the ward is severely restricted, with everyone having to receive long training on donning and doffing protective equipment.  Meanwhile, we're moving patients, offices, exam rooms, etc. between buildings to prepare another ward to house rule outs until they are either cleared or confirmed positive and get sent to the treatment ward.  We're the designated national treatment hospital for all patients of a particular demographic, so things could balloon rapidly.

All this is compounded by the fact that our inept President and his administration can't seem to get a testing program in place, so we have no idea how many undetected, infected people are out there and who they've come in contact with.  Things are getting scary.

I think a few celebs/football people getting & it saying they are fine a couple of days later may actually help calm things down a little. there seems to be this great fear that if you get it you are going to die at the moment rather than the general reality of if you get it you should probably stay in bed for a couple of days, avoid other people and you'll more than likely be fine in a few days. Honestly no idea why they are actually even bothering testing people for it, If you think you may have it then follow the isolation advice, unless you are one of the people that end up severely ill as a result of it and need hospital treatment then what is testing people actually achieving. There is no magical cure, the only fix is to wait for it to go & try not to give it anyone else. If half a dozen football players have it there is no possible way that only 800 or so people have it in the uk, Must be in the tens of thousands but most people will barely even notice.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Just stopped off at morissons on the way home to grab some food & stuff for the weekend as it is usually pretty quiet on the way home on a friday. Absolutely insane in there, Busier than christmas eve, looks like it has been robbed with hardly anything left on many shelves, no rice, no pasta, no beans & definitely nothing that even resembles a toilet roll in sight. People in queues stretching down the aisles even for the self checkout tills, Trollies overflowing everywhere, couples with 2 crammed full trollies & their kids with another trolley. Ended up stuck in there for nearly an hour when it is usually a quick 10-15 minutes stop off. People are completely batshit crazy over what will be nothing more than a bit of a cold & a couple of days in bed for most people.

Christ, that’s awful. We usually do our shopping on a Monday but as I was WFH today I decided to drop the kids at school and then grab some bits. It was reasonably civilised although quite busy for a Friday morning. Couple of gaps in the shelves (pasta, toilet roll, biscuits) but pretty much everything else in stock and plenty of it.

Seen some pictures from tonight and it looks like it’s been ransacked.

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Just stopped off at morissons on the way home to grab some food & stuff for the weekend as it is usually pretty quiet on the way home on a friday. Absolutely insane in there, Busier than christmas eve, looks like it has been robbed with hardly anything left on many shelves, no rice, no pasta, no beans & definitely nothing that even resembles a toilet roll in sight. People in queues stretching down the aisles even for the self checkout tills, Trollies overflowing everywhere, couples with 2 crammed full trollies & their kids with another trolley. Ended up stuck in there for nearly an hour when it is usually a quick 10-15 minutes stop off. People are completely batshit crazy over what will be nothing more than a bit of a cold & a couple of days in bed for most people.

Which one mate?

I popped to Morrisons in Aldridge at lunchtime and it wasn't too bad. Maybe 10% busier than a normal Friday lunchtime but not excessive. Few empty spaces in shelves but managed to get some nurofen and the queues at the tills weren't too bad 

My parents in London both had a fever and headaches and sore throats about a week ago. I’m hoping that’s their dose done and they are now free and clear. Unfortunately they can’t be sure it wasn’t just a regular flu so are still on alert. It’s a shame the tests are so hard to come by. 

If I hear one more person say 'i don't know what the fuss is about, it's only the old that will die' 

I think I'm going to get locked up. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

If I hear one more person say 'i don't know what the fuss is about, it's only the old that will die' 

I think I'm going to get locked up. 

Howcome it’s upsetting you? 

WHAT DO YOU KNOW?! 

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

No, not a shame. A disgrace. 

My understanding is that a key chemical required for the reagent is made in a factory in China but due to unprecedented global demand for kits and the lockdown in China there is a worldwide shortage on kits because they can’t source enough chemical to make them fast enough. The US were caught out because they thought they could do it themselves but have now joined the queue for kits. 

There’s some more info here:

The push to increase testing in the U.S. for the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19 has hit a new stumbling block: shortages of key chemicals needed to start up and run the tests.

In particular, one key product, made by the diagnostics testing giant Qiagen, is in dwindling supply. The chemical is used to isolate the virus’ genetic material, or RNA, so that it can be tested.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/shortage-crucial-chemicals-us-coronavirus-testing/

And here:

Global shortage of Covid-19 test kits hits Australia as other nations limit exports

Australia’s chief medical officer says supply problems are a ‘temporary issue’ but one that is hampering testing in Australia and across the globe

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/13/global-shortage-of-covid-19-test-kits-hits-australia-as-other-nations-limit-exports

• Thanks 1

Â