Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I'm just on my way back from Sri Lanka and after catching up on this thread wishing I'd stayed

Only 3 recorded cases over there. Sounds like I'm returning to day to dead

No way!  What took you over there?

With Sri Lanka, you have to wonder what the real numbers are.  Are they testing enough people?

You can say the same for everywhere, to be fair.

I will blame the UK medical advice for this...

I would say my mom is a fairly intelligent woman, she's certainly not daft, she's stubborn and she's not a worrier so stuff like this isn't going to send over the edge by any means

but I just messaged her to say my office is closing cos of the virus and she messaged me back saying she's been off work for the last 3 days with a cough and cold...she came to visit me and my pregnant wife last weekend...so I ring her and have to demand that she phones 112, ring her back an hour later, it was busy and too much hassle, told her to try the local GP phone line and keep trying, just ask the question and just self isolate because she can, eventually she agrees...she then starts telling me an anecdote about some woman in Sainsburys last night buying all the toilet paper...she did the **** weekly shop last night and popped to costas

See the source image

what the **** is wrong with this woman! clearing in the woods

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

No way!  What took you over there?

With Sri Lanka, you have to wonder what the real numbers are.  Are they testing enough people?

You can say the same for everywhere, to be fair.

Just general holiday

Everyone going in at the airport is getting checked with an infrared camera, so I think they are assuming that'll be enough for now, but I don't think they can afford to shut the tourist locations.

Was speaking to the hotel staff this morning in Galle and they were dreading the cricket being cancelled as every hotel in the area is fully booked. Today's cancellation will probably lead to half the staff being laid off 

58 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Id expect this from you - I bet you are the sort of person that has gone around and bought all the hand gel's that pharmacies are selling in your local area and hid them in your cupboard at home... 

No. I have no hand gels. Got a bar of soap.

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

No fever, but my breathing the last few days has been what I imagine it's like having mild asthma.  Mild sore throat. Nothing else

I had this on Monday.  it was like I was struggling to take a deep breath when yawning.

I put it down being unfit and playing football on Sunday and really struggling during that too.  By Tuesday morning I was fine.  I doubt it was coronavirus.

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Scousers in the office have already informed me that as 75% of the games have been played the result stands as is if the season is over.

And apparently Newcastle win the FA Cup because they've scored the most goals (yadda yadda they've had two replays)

better be some bloody big asterixes alongside those "titles" in the history books

3 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

if we're planning to give them a game we'd better make sure they are defence lawyers

Post of the day, my friend !!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kingman said:

This, In 2/3 weeks time we will be on now Italian figures and totally unchartered waters with health services becoming overwhelmed and having to make unthinkable decisions! 

In 3/4 weeks time everybody will know someone who knows someone thats been infected! 

In 5/6 weeks time you will know someone directly who has been infected!

In 7/8 weeks you will have most likely been infected yourself! 

This is now changing hourly, Look after yourselves and those around you. 

May God Help Us!..

This is true but, and terrifying.....but if anyone wants to try to find a “ better” way of seeing it..

In the best case scenario 16/100 people will get ‘just’ poorly.....3 will get very poorly, one of those seriously and possibly fatally, and these 3 will almost certainly have existing severe underlying health conditions. 80 will remain well.

In the worst case scenario 64 of every 100 people will get “ just” poorly..... 10 will get very poorly, 6 seriously so of which  1 or 2 will die. Again, those who get most ill will, for the main part , already be suffering a severe illness. 20 will remain well.

Im not saying that makes everything ok, and we are all going to be affected, and we will all have family members at high risk, but, for me, it helps keep my head okay to look at it this way rather than the other way.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 1

Imagine being a Syrian refugee (or from anywhere else) sitting at the Turkish/Greek border being pushed towards Europe by Erdogan with a closed border in front of you and no where else to go and the news coming in from all around that people are getting infected by a virus there is no cure against that is spreading like wildfire. 

They are already weak and cold and starved and suffering from ptsd and with basically no health care available to them. I fully understand why Greece and the rest of Europe currently have no means of helping them much but what a human tragedy this is.

• Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst it was fine for 3k of them to travel to Liverpool a couple of days ago. Madness. 

We are still planning to hold the St Patrick’s Day parade in London on Sunday - 50,000 plus people congregating on the streets together.

All the equivalent SPD events in Ireland and the US have been cancelled yet we are still going ahead with the London event as of now.

As you say what is going on here - why is our approach so different? 

Just now, Kingman said:

We are still planning to hold the St Patrick’s Day parade in London on Sunday - 50,000 plus people congregating on the streets together.

All the equivalent SPD events in Ireland and the US have been cancelled yet we are still going ahead with the London event as of now.

It makes no sense. 

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I had this on Monday.  it was like I was struggling to take a deep breath when yawning.

I put it down being unfit and playing football on Sunday and really struggling during that too.  By Tuesday morning I was fine.  I doubt it was coronavirus.

For anyone who doesn’t know the latest best available evidence is that the following symptoms show at the percentages given

Fever 90%

Dry cough 70%

Fatigue 40%

Sputum 33%

Shortness of breath 18%

Muscle pains 14%

Sore throat 13%

Headache 13%

Chills 11%

Nausea 5%

Nasal congestion 5%

The runs 3%

So whilst only a guide the more symptoms you have near the top the more possible it’s the virus, the more down the bottom the more likely it’s something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

For anyone who doesn’t know the latest best available evidence is that the following symptoms show at the percentages given

Fever 90%

Dry cough 70%

Fatigue 40%

Sputum 33%

Shortness of breath 18%

Muscle pains 14%

Sore throat 13%

Headache 13%

Chills 11%

Nausea 5%

Nasal congestion 5%

The runs 3%

So whilst only a guide the more symptoms you have near the top the more possible it’s the virus, the more down the bottom the more likely it’s something else.

I just had the shortness of breath which is why think it was something else. Who knows.

Millions of people could have it right?

2 minutes ago, Kingman said:

It makes no sense. 
I can understand not placing draconian travel restrictions or enforced shut downs of businesses - for the time being.

But to wilfully allow needless large gatherings, when there is a highly contagious disease probably already widespread in the population is insane.

• Like 2

Â