Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

WHO saying some people who have recovered have up to 30% diminished lung capacity

Not as scary as it sounds.

The little I know having suffered a Pulmonary Embollism which collapsed part of my lung....

Many people once they are 50 and above will have undergone a 50 % reduction in lung capacity.

Indeed our lungs are very cleverly designed - even an athlete in a race will only use 70% lung capacity.

Thats all I know 🙂 - onto guesswork .... I’d imagine if someone WITH severely reduced lung capacity lost an EXTRA 30% that could be more significant, which takes us back to pre existing conditions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/03/11/in-china-the-worst-could-be-over/#6d3195c74ee4

“Throughout the entire nation of China, which has 1.42 billion people, there are roughly 16,300 cases left, based on data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

That’s 0.001% of the Chinese population who are known carriers of the disease.

After three and a half months, of which one month was spent ignoring the disease entirely, China is healing.”

It’s good that we are all taking this extremely seriously, and that the Government finally seems to be waking up.

But see the above article ( I’m not good with fonts so it was all coming out wrong so I’ve put my associated comment here, I though5 it worth it to get the article seen).

Its just as vital to keep a sense of perspective. 

Of course China coukd go backwards etc......of course other places could be as bad as feared. 
But it’s not set in stone

Edited by blandy
Fonts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Some people who've been tested positive saying "Yeah, I felt shit for a few days, but I'm better now". 

But ISTR reports that this is usually a 'false dawn', and it comes back at you a few days later, in much more severe form. 

I hope you don’t mind me mentioning but could you post a link for stuff like this...?

i don’t even know who they are 🙂.there’s so much out there it’s important to read what’s been said and by who 👍

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

It’s good that we are all taking this extremely seriously, and that the Government finally seems to be waking up.

But see the above article ( I’m not good with fonts so it was all coming out wrong so I’ve put my associated comment here, I though5 it worth it to get the article seen).

Its just as vital to keep a sense of perspective. 

Of course China coukd go backwards etc......of course other places could be as bad as feared. 
But it’s not set in stone.

The fact China is now trying to blame the US military for the outbreak is chutzpah on another level. 

The people of the UK as a whole are pretty much amazing in a crisis, whatever generation it strikes. Local community groups are self-organising to mitigate the effects, & advertising that help all over social media. 

Our governments’ may be toilet, but don’t ever let any word removed tell you the people of this country aren’t fricking amazing.  

I love ‘em, even the scousers.

Edit: Scousers?? Fairly well oiled last night! 

Edited by Awol
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

The fact China is now trying to blame the US military for the outbreak is chutzpah on another level. 

The people of the UK as a whole are pretty much amazing in a crisis, whatever generation it strikes. Local community groups are self-organising to mitigate the effects, & advertising that help all over social media. 

Our governments’ may be toilet, but don’t ever let any word removed tell you the people of this country aren’t fricking amazing.  

I love ‘em, even the scousers.

To be fair Trumps throwing blame around, they all will. I’d prefer to ignore the politics. 

I share your views of the “ common folk” though ( except the scousers 😀).....but I don’t think it’s just people of the UK. We are genuinely all in it together, all suffering together, all hoping together, all with our share of heroes and villains. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I share your views of the “ common folk” though ( except the scousers 😀).....but I don’t think it’s just people of the UK. We are genuinely all in it together, all suffering together, all hoping together, all with our share of heroes and villains. 

True and fair enough. I just feel genuine pride when I see my fellow citizens doing everything I’d hope they would in this situation.

If I was educated enough to read much foreign speak I’m sure I’d be saying the same about them too. 

• Like 1

Hear, hear @terrytini

It looks like we will have a severe challenge to contend with for at least the next two months. 

Wishing everyone on here and their loved ones the best of luck, literally. We'll all need a bit of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/03/11/in-china-the-worst-could-be-over/#6d3195c74ee4

“Throughout the entire nation of China, which has 1.42 billion people, there are roughly 16,300 cases left, based on data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

That’s 0.001% of the Chinese population who are known carriers of the disease.

After three and a half months, of which one month was spent ignoring the disease entirely, China is healing.”

Most of the Chinese population will have had no exposure to the virus due to their effective lockdown efforts however it will work its way through the rest of the world for the next couple of years. China is going to have to keep their 1 billion  ‘clean’ residents away from anyone bring it back there or it will all kick off again for them unless a vaccine is developed. 

• Like 1

Shops were ransacked last night. Went to Tesco new oscott at 9pm and walked out with not much. It was literally just get what you can. I then phoned the mother in law and said I'm taking you to Asda Minworth to get some stuff as the father in law doesn't arrive back from work until Wednesday. It was the same there..... didn't get back until 1am. 

The reason I took her so late is that the sister in law is so clueless about all this and is so wrapped up herself to give a s**t about her mom who had stage 4 cancer last year....

1 checkout open, most other staff stacking shelves. Self serve was full of people with full trolleys trying to scan and pack was mayhem! Today will be pandemonium so good luck to those who are going today. They were literally parking pallets in aisles and letting people strip them and take what they want off them in Asda!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So cancelling our holiday... just hope the flights do get cancelled so get full money back... gutted

When / where / with whom were you due to go? 

Ours isn't until June - can't see us going, but not cancelling it.

Pretty bonkers to read that twitter thread from the doctor in Italy. Don't even know what to say. 

One thing that's unsaid, while it's a fact they got an old population, smoking is very common in Italy in all ages. It's not like the UK, Scandinavia or Germany. Just a culture thing. And surely that's a problem when it comes to respiratory diseases? 

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So cancelling our holiday... just hope the flights do get cancelled so get full money back... gutted

BA have announced anyone flying up until the end of March can cancel flights without charge ... they will issue you with a voucher for the equivalent value ... hopefully other airlines will follow suit 

From today I am going to put my mom into isolation for however long it takes. She is 75 no underlying health conditions but I feel it is not worth the risk of her still going out and interacting with anyone other than me, my wife and eldest daughter who will ensure we don't come into close contact with her and get anything on surfaces in her house etc. Anyone else already doing this with elderly relatives or those with underlying health conditions?

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

From today I am going to put my mom into isolation for however long it takes. She is 75 no underlying health conditions but I feel it is not worth the risk of her still going out and interacting with anyone other than me, my wife and eldest daughter who will ensure we don't come into close contact with her and get anything on surfaces in her house etc. Anyone else doing this with elderly relatives or those with underlying health conditions?

My mom and her sisters will be doing the same with my nan. There are 5 sisters and a brother who lives in Scotland! She also has no underlying health issues or anything but its just not worth the risk. There is so many of us grandkids etc, we are probably going to have limit visits to certain people I think. Never normally too bothered with stuff like this but I think this one is not worth it for the sake of being in some sort of lockdown for a little while!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pretty bonkers to read that twitter thread from the doctor in Italy. Don't even know what to say. 

One thing that's unsaid, while it's a fact they got an old population, smoking is very common in Italy in all ages. It's not like the UK, Scandinavia or Germany. Just a culture thing. And surely that's a problem when it comes to respiratory diseases? 

The viral disease/epidemic expert in the JRE podcast posted some pages back, said that they thought the reason for  death rates amog men being higher then women. Was partly  due to smoking being more prevalent among men in Chinese culture. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

When / where / with whom were you due to go? 

Ours isn't until June - can't see us going, but not cancelling it.

Was meant to be going Florida, had my parents (70 + 68) going with me from UK, and then were meant to meet my sister her husband and daughter (2.5) there. It was from 25 March. But with all parks shutting and the state being classed as a major concern, thought it was best. 

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

BA have announced anyone flying up until the end of March can cancel flights without charge ... they will issue you with a voucher for the equivalent value ... hopefully other airlines will follow suit 

Air BNB were great and gave us full refund when they were entitled to keep 50%. We fly Norwegian, hopefully they will be like BA I’m just worried that with their financial restraints  that we won’t get anything. 

15 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

My mom and her sisters will be doing the same with my nan. There are 5 sisters and a brother who lives in Scotland! She also has no underlying health issues or anything but its just not worth the risk. There is so many of us grandkids etc, we are probably going to have limit visits to certain people I think. Never normally too bothered with stuff like this but I think this one is not worth it for the sake of being in some sort of lockdown for a little while!

I'm 45, got MS, wife and 4 kids, I'm on meds (Fingolimod) that suppress my immune system, I've been told by my MS nurses to keep away from people as much as possible. I said I think I could manage keeping away from the wife, but not the kids! 

I wasn't too concerned about the thing until I spoke to my older sister yesterday - she was telling me the things that are happening in the hospitals in London!😲

• Sad 3

Â