Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just had the shortness of breath which is why think it was something else. Who knows.

Millions of people could have it right?

In the “long“ (?) run yes, at present no.

Edited by terrytini

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a million people infected in China tbh.

They say they've stopped it but might as well just have stopped reporting stop people from panicking and to hold up the illusion of the party having control of things.

Obviously hope they have in fact stopped it.

11 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It makes no sense. 
I can understand not placing draconian travel restrictions or enforced shut downs of businesses - for the time being.

But to wilfully allow needless large gatherings, when there is a highly contagious disease probably already widespread in the population is insane.

My gut feeling is that the longer you can delay it, the better. It gives us a chance to a range of things, from manufacture more ventilators to testing on effective therapies to developing a vaccine.

All of this is going on now, no doubt, but the UK approach does seem a little fatalistic. It may prove right in hindsight, but if it doesn't then we are looking at possibly hundreds of thousands of avoidable deaths.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not they think containing now will lead to a worse outcome if/when it resurges. It is hard to believe that it will. Either that, or they are putting the economy ahead of the populace.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

It makes no sense. 
I can understand not placing draconian travel restrictions or enforced shut downs of businesses - for the time being.

But to wilfully allow needless large gatherings, when there is a highly contagious disease probably already widespread in the population is insane.

The government's 'plan' is to let this hit the population, in the hope of forcing herd immunity naturally. To achieve that they basically want people to go about as they normally would.

The other side of the coin is they want to avoid doing anything that severely impacts the economy until they have to. Firstly just to keep the wheels turning for as long as possible, and secondly because they believe the measures to severely limit gatherings etc are time limited and that people won't stick to them for extended periods.

And couple that to the usual Tory bias of not getting government involved without clear force of need, relying instead on companies to do their own thing (which most companies won't until they have to, not least of which because a tonne of them would potentially be signing a death warrant)...

Because of all that, we're not getting any government mandated enforcement until there's absolutely no choice but to do so.

• Like 4

Let’s remember another few things....

....whilst many will get ill, once they get better, as the majority will, those same people will almost certainly have immunity, and be a great help to those who’s illness is still to come, and in providing services.

.....whilst not downplaying the significance or horror of seeing cluster areas creating areas to bury the dead and so on, cluster areas shouldn’t be the norm. They are more akin to, for example, the location of a plane crash or similar. Not everywhere will be the same.

( based as ever on the current position which could change)...

....not every country that’s been hit has been hit the same as Italy....it isn’t guaranteed we will go that way...

So whilst I am appalled at the lack of basic precautions which should by now be widespread, we can, for now at least, maintain the hope that the worst might not happen.

15 minutes ago, Kingman said:

My gut feeling is that the longer you can delay it, the better. It gives us a chance to a range of things, from manufacture more ventilators to testing on effective therapies to developing a vaccine.

All of this is going on now, no doubt, but the UK approach does seem a little fatalistic. It may prove right in hindsight, but if it doesn't then we are looking at possibly hundreds of thousands of avoidable deaths.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not they think containing now will lead to a worse outcome if/when it resurges. It is hard to believe that it will. Either that, or they are putting the economy ahead of the populace.

Couldn’t agree more.

The virus is completely impotent without our help. You and I can’t get infected just by existing, it depends upon what we DO.

Therefore the very first step should be, don’t do anything you don’t NEED to do. On a personal level there’s a lot.
Do you open your mail/ parcels  ? Wash your hands (WH)  after.  ( evidence is unclear about the extent of transmission by objects...why take a chance ?)

Do you visit anybody, or anywhere, you don’t need to ? Stop it.

Have you nominated the most robust member of your family to do the shopping ? If not, why not ? In a bigger family have you combined elements of your shopping lists to limit who needs to go ?

Do you shop when the stores are emptiest ? Why not ?

When you get the shopping home, decant into your own, washed, food containers. Throw the packaging away. ( might not be necessary..who cares, why not do it ?)

Do you still kiss your kids, or partner ? Stop it. Have a hug. Maintain your safe distance from your own family inside your home as much as possible. Sit in the garden when you chat. Keep the windows open.Goes without saying when you get home, shower. Have separate towels. Outdoor clothes straight in the wash ( might not be needed, why take the risk ?).

Could go on all day.

Dont even get me started on what businesses should be doing.

Without our help the virus is powerless. Everything we do should pass a test....could this help the virus ? If so, is it essential. If so, what’s the safest way to do it.

• Like 2

Heard by word of mouth that Wrightington Hospital (M6 J27) is being cleared out in readiness. 

All NHS resources are switching to SARS-COV-2.  There no other testing being performed (NHS email), if you are sick with anything but corona virus you are stuffed.

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The government's 'plan' is to let this hit the population, in the hope of forcing herd immunity naturally. To achieve that they basically want people to go about as they normally would.

The other side of the coin is they want to avoid doing anything that severely impacts the economy until they have to. Firstly just to keep the wheels turning for as long as possible, and secondly because they believe the measures to severely limit gatherings etc are time limited and that people won't stick to them for extended periods.

And couple that to the usual Tory bias of not getting government involved without clear force of need, relying instead on companies to do their own thing (which most companies won't until they have to, not least of which because a tonne of them would potentially be signing a death warrant)...

Because of all that, we're not getting any government mandated enforcement until there's absolutely no choice but to do so.

Agree.

But it’s basic incompetence at its root.....else why not given the kind of detailed advice I’ve briefly mentioned above, why not have, at the very least, local authorities who each are responsible for emergency planning, have control systems in place for visitors, particularly to care and health premises, but all over.

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a million people infected in China tbh.

They say they've stopped it but might as well just have stopped reporting stop people from panicking and to hold up the illusion of the party having control of things.

Obviously hope they have in fact stopped it.

I’m not sure I agree with the scepticism about China. Although I do agree they will have a million infected ( and probably many more). It has to be remembered though that “ infected” doesn’t mean “ seriously ill”. 

Of course they may play things down...all governments do, and will, and that’s probably just as well ( panic and fear are going to be just as much a danger as the virus) ....but they took massive action and I’ve no doubt they won’t want to undo the benefits of that, nor return to it. If they are saying they are working, they probably are in my view.

What woukdnt suprise me - is that they may be more ready to try unproven vaccines on selections of the population than we are. 
The calculation will be, “you are old, and sick, we can’t help you in hospital, try this “....something we couldn’t do here.

Additionally they will be very aware that it’s crucial not just to get back to work, but to do it sustainably. They know that the First Nation to “ get well” will have an unbelievable head start economically.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I’m not sure I agree with the scepticism about China. Although I do agree they will have a million infected ( and probably many more). It has to be remembered though that “ infected” doesn’t mean “ seriously ill”. 

Of course they may play things down...all governments do, and will, and that’s probably just as well ( panic and fear are going to be just as much a danger as the virus) ....but they took massive action and I’ve no doubt they won’t want to undo the benefits of that, nor return to it. If they are saying they are working, they probably are in my view.

What woukdnt suprise me - is that they may be more ready to try unproven vaccines on selections of the population than we are. 
The calculation will be, “you are old, and sick, we can’t help you in hospital, try this “....something we couldn’t do here.

Additionally they will be very aware that it’s crucial not just to get back to work, but to do it sustainably. They know that the First Nation to “ get well” will have an unbelievable head start economically.

Absolutely, infected isn't a death sentence pr anything like that. You get ill. And as you say they are likely to be testing different cures with far less restrictions than many other countries which may turn out good for the rest of the world. Hopefully them and South Korea are working close together.

By all accounts they have already started up their industries, if only most for show. 

I make bread for a living and we've just been following the wash your hands, don't stick your fingers in your orifices advice as we always have done.  I've never really thought that much about it but it probably explains why I haven't had a cold in about 5 years.  I assume we will stay working as long as possible as people need bread.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Guys serious talk. Be careful about using those hand gels they really can have the opposite effect aa it strips you of your natural skin oils which can cause the virus to get into you

Wash your hands.  Dont wash your hands. 

**** me. I am stumping myself when I get home.

• Haha 1

Â