Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

nothing more than a bit of a cold & a couple of days in bed for most people.

I think people are reacting to more than just a dangerous virus. 

Some people who've been tested positive saying "Yeah, I felt shit for a few days, but I'm better now". 

But ISTR reports that this is usually a 'false dawn', and it comes back at you a few days later, in much more severe form. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Apparently Boris to do a u-turn and now ban “mass gatherings” (more than 500 people). Right after Cheltenham I’m sure this wasn’t planned or anything...

I work for a big company on a site with thousands of people on it. Sounds like I’ll be working from home next week then...

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Some people who've been tested positive saying "Yeah, I felt shit for a few days, but I'm better now". 

But ISTR reports that this is usually a 'false dawn', and it comes back at you a few days later, in much more severe form. 

Usually or often? I thought they were saying it was a (significant) minority who had the second attack, but not most people?

43 minutes ago, maqroll said:

WHO saying some people who have recovered have up to 30% diminished lung capacity

But they also advocate hoping that you die before you get old, so I'd be very wary of taking any medical advice that they give  at face value. 

• Haha 3

On channel 4 earlier, UK company has developed a test for COV-19 which returns results in 10 mins, looks for antibodies.

Test 3 days after symptoms start, if that's negative try at 5 days, and if that's negative you have not got it and your symptoms where cold/flu.

They have started to ship to pharmacies.

29 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Apparently Boris to do a u-turn and now ban “mass gatherings” (more than 500 people). Right after Cheltenham I’m sure this wasn’t planned or anything...

Not sure. Is it more of case that while the official advice is to lick any infected surface in sight, civil society is going ‘errrrr... no. We’re going to be a wee bit more cautious, because you lot are f******* mental’? 

Reckon they can string schools out for a week at most. Even if the science is correct, the public is having none of it. 

• Like 2

A few weeks old, but well worth a read when interpreting various government actions.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/wall-street-behind-delay-declaring-coronavirus-outbreak-pandemic-bonds/265264/

"Is Wall Street Behind the Delay in Declaring the Coronavirus Outbreak a “Pandemic”?

A little known specialized bond created in 2017 by the World Bank may hold the answer as to why U.S. and global health authorities have declined to label the global spread of the novel coronavirus a “pandemic.” Those bonds, now often referred to as “pandemic bonds,” were ostensibly intended to transfer the risk of potential pandemics in low-income nations to financial markets."

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is one if the issues I have with us being the subjects of this crazy, experimental policy the government is going for. 

It’s a new virus, that’s just made the leap to humans and we’ve yet to get a really clear picture of how it behaves. 

There appears to be consensus on some aspects, but there are alarming reports popping up here and there from China/Italy regarding the severity of the illness in survivors (ie: 35/40 year olds getting it really bad and only surviving because of ICU treatment, which will be overwhelmed with UK approach). Isolation periods and infection lengths are also showing inconsistencies (people carrying virus for longer, illness ‘going away’ then attacking again), and studies are showing it can attack and damage other organs, beyond the lungs. Some people also appear to be left with residual lung damage that will require exercise/further treatment over time. Little bits of concern about re-infection too, but some reports suggest that’s more down to poor testing practises. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

My understanding is that a key chemical required for the reagent is made in a factory in China but due to unprecedented global demand for kits and the lockdown in China there is a worldwide shortage on kits because they can’t source enough chemical to make them fast enough. The US were caught out because they thought they could do it themselves but have now joined the queue for kits. 

There’s some more info here:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/shortage-crucial-chemicals-us-coronavirus-testing/

And here:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/mar/13/global-shortage-of-covid-19-test-kits-hits-australia-as-other-nations-limit-exports

I don't think we're testing in Norway anymore. If there's any chance you've got it, you feel sick etc. you are supposed to self quarantene afaik. 

Â