Tom13

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not happening there for him at all is it?

Doesn’t look that way. Not sure why we sent him there, can only assume we didn’t know or were lied to in terms of the number of players they were planning to sign. To sign 19 players in one window is ridiculous. Can’t believe we would’ve sent him knowing they were signing so many players. Looked like a good move at the time. 

• Like 1

Today's game doesn't really tell us much, regardless of how he played we already know that he's capable of performing against teams of West Ham U21's quality, and better teams than them, if anything it tells us that it's more of Ipswich thing than a Barry thing. Couldn't really win today, if he'd have done well and maybe scored a goal or two he would have been met with the charge that it was only against a youth team.

They remind me a little of us when we were first relegated to the championship, like them we had a takeover, signed a lot of players and appointed a new manager, but like them currently we struggled. And I wouldn't be surprised if like us they sacked their manager early in the season.

People say Cook came into an impossible situation but he should be doing better than he is, last season before the takeover they were just outside the play-offs, they've now had their takeover, and signed a lot of players that were expected to sign for Championship clubs, pretty much every other manager in League One would love to have the resources that Cook has.

baptism of fire

we have too many threads for youngsters littered with comments about how they have to go out on loan because its the cliche that they have to go and play men's football to toughen up

FWIW though at least he should be learning what football is really all about, forget his time at barca and then into a successful villa academy, now he's the hard work and the grind in a shit team, it should shape him mentally 

and harry kane had some shit loans and he turned out alright

9 hours ago, WHY said:

Doesn’t look that way. Not sure why we sent him there, can only assume we didn’t know or were lied to in terms of the number of players they were planning to sign. To sign 19 players in one window is ridiculous. Can’t believe we would’ve sent him knowing they were signing so many players. Looked like a good move at the time. 

There's an interview with Paul Cook on the athletic football league podcast from the day after they signed Barry and he says they needed to build an entirely new side. They had almost no senior players left at the club at the end of last season. 

It's only a few games in and there's a lot of top quality players there for league one. As soon as they get a bit of rhythm and find a settled side I think Barry will force his way in. The current climate in the league though is get lots of points and get them now, not a time to be throwing in kids from other teams academy's and hoping they don't sink. Players on three times his wages with 10 years football league experience are going to be ahead of him for a bit yet. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

baptism of fire

we have too many threads for youngsters littered with comments about how they have to go out on loan because its the cliche that they have to go and play men's football to toughen up

FWIW though at least he should be learning what football is really all about, forget his time at barca and then into a successful villa academy, now he's the hard work and the grind in a shit team, it should shape him mentally 

and harry kane had some shit loans and he turned out alright

Not mentally tbf but I think he was just born that way 

I really don’t get this talk of recalling him. 

Yes we all want him playing every minute of every game and playing well but this is all part of the experience.

You get used to an environment, hopefully going from well run at Villa to mess at Ipswich shows him it was being done right/what not to do.

He’s having to fight to get in the team and getting subbed when he’s in it. That either wakes him up to compete and helps him understand the desire and physicality needed. Or it doesn’t and shows that he’s not ready to be playing for Villa.

Edited by Nicho
  • Like 2

Wish we'd pull him out of that shower of shite as he's not developing there.

Was one of the brightest prospects in the country at the start of the year, scored against a strong Liverpool side now can't get in a struggling League 1 side except in a meaningless cup game. This a guy who's played in the La Masia academy.

If things don't get better for him soon we may as well bring him back to play in our Academy and look to loan him out again later. Better than him sitting on the bench most games not developing. 

39 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I really don’t get this talk of recalling him. 

Yes we all want him playing every minute of every game and playing well but this is all part of the experience.

You get used to an environment, hopefully going from we run to Villa to mess Ipswich shows him it was being done right/what not to do.

He’s having to fight to get in the team and getting subbed when he’s in it. That either wakes him up to compete and helps him understand the desire and physicality needed. Or it doesn’t and shows that he’s not ready to be playing for Villa.

he has to accept that he has to fight for his place. If he can't get into the Ipswich first 11 - he sure as hell isn't ready for the villa first 11. Must admit I'm surprised  his first game for ipswich I watched and he did everything but score.

Might also be a wake up call for us all - no matter how highly rated a youngster they are that's absolutely not a guarantee of a PL starter. I m not some at the club have fully grasped this yet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wish we'd pull him out of that shower of shite as he's not developing there.

Was one of the brightest prospects in the country at the start of the year, scored against a strong Liverpool side now can't get in a struggling League 1 side except in a meaningless cup game. This a guy who's played in the La Masia academy.

If things don't get better for him soon we may as well bring him back to play in our Academy and look to loan him out again later. Better than him sitting on the bench most games not developing. 

Not developing there? He's only been there 6 weeks.

He has to prove himself there at Ipswich that's part and parcel of a loan spell. He may be the brightest prospect in the country, or the brightest prospect in the world but at some stage you have to prove yourself in the real football world.

Really don't understand this perception that our youngsters on loan should be starting every game with a team built around them. This is exactly what some of them need, they need to be working hard and earning a place in the first team.

• Like 3

The new Ipswich owners have backed their manager with signings and they are still in the bottom four. Cook may well have decided to rely on his more experienced players to keep him in a job and that decision doesn't seem to be working for him. Perhaps a new boss, would recognise that Louie has something that their more experienced players lack, the class and the ability to win League One games for him. We may soon find out. 

By the way, here is my response to villalad21's stunning post above: 

image.jpeg.6e2e06d2d78b14bd99e1b017e29bd3aa.jpeg

I don't know how anyone can make a grand pronouncement about an 18 year old's kid future just because he isn't getting games at Ipswich unless they see themselves as a damn seer or just be villalad whichever works for ya.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â