Tom13

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ha.

I should have been clearer. I’d be surprised if Barry makes it as a PL footballer based on what I’ve seen so far. I think we have better young players than him. 

Could be completely wrong of course and he could be the next Grealish. Certainly hope so. Just never been all that impressed with him in the games I’ve watched. 

I can see where you are coming from, in the fa youth cup he was outshone by his peers. But let’s not forget he scored 20 goals from a wide position, scored for the first team and got signed by Barcelona, so he must have something about him.

• Like 2

Just now, Xela said:

I think he's universally recognised as one of the best young talents in the country. He's just turned 18 and you think he won't make it? Please don't apply for a job at our Academy. We'd have no players left in a week! 

Ha, no, I think he’ll make it, I’m just not sure he will at the top level (the PL). 

I could be wrong, but I’m sure our fans were raving about the youngsters that won the youth cup back in the early noughties and a lot of them went on to absolutely nothing.

Im just saying I’ve never been overly impressed when watching him compared with Kessler, Carney and Ramsey. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I can see where you are coming from, in the fa youth cup he was outshone by his peers. But let’s not forget he scored 20 goals from a wide position, scored for the first team and got signed by Barcelona, so he must have something about him.

Absolutely. He will definitely be a professional footballer and I’m sure he’ll be a millionaire doing so. I just have reservations as to whether it will be at the top level. 

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

If one was being deliberately obtuse to get reactions, one might.

Excellent use of obtuse. But no, I wasn’t being. Of course, this is VT, and if you don’t think absolutely all of our youngsters will be world beaters, you’re being obtuse or negative. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Ha, no, I think he’ll make it, I’m just not sure he will at the top level (the PL). 

I could be wrong, but I’m sure our fans were raving about the youngsters that won the youth cup back in the early noughties and a lot of them went on to absolutely nothing.

Im just saying I’ve never been overly impressed when watching him compared with Kessler, Carney and Ramsey. 

Nail on the head for me

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Excellent use of obtuse. But no, I wasn’t being. Of course, this is VT, and if you don’t think absolutely all of our youngsters will be world beaters, you’re being obtuse or negative. 

It’s one of those isn’t it, you’re objecting to people praising the young players and interpreting that as thinking they’re going to all be world beaters when they’re not.

There’s certainly absolutely nothing to extrapolate from him not getting minutes in the first handful of games that suggest he’s any better or worse than anyone thought so people are right to criticise your original comment.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don't think its worth over analysing just yet. He's got a couple of years yet before we'll really know. 

Callum O'Hare is starring for Coventry now - we released him at 22, I think? He could well be back in the Premier League in the next year or so! Some players, especially the less physically built ones, can take a while. Jack only really stepped up the last 2/3 years. 

Five goals and four assists in the FA Youth Cup tells us that Barry wasn't outshone by other players in that competition even in the final when he didn't score or assist he played well. People talk about Bradley Young and I like him but most of his goals last season came for the U18s, Barry was doing it at an higher level and at a younger age, and often from the left wing. If it wasn't for the fact he was a Villa fan he'd either still be at Barcelona now or at one of other top academies in England like Manchester City or Man Utd can pretty much guarantee that... (strange title but was the most upto date one I could find)

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I don't think its worth over analysing just yet. He's got a couple of years yet before we'll really know. 

Callum O'Hare is starring for Coventry now - we released him at 22, I think? He could well be back in the Premier League in the next year or so! Some players, especially the less physically built ones, can take a while. Jack only really stepped up the last 2/3 years. 

Yep, totally fair. they all progress at different rates. 

Barry aside, I think the other 3 I mention will be really good players. I think Kessler will be in our first team by the time he is 20. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you get any enjoyment from being a villa fan? Serious question by the way. 

From your posts on here it seems that nearly everything to do with the club causes you misery and anxiety. From the transfers, results, team selections, the manager and now our highly rated youth players.

37 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just never been all that impressed with him in the games I’ve watched. 

Out of interest, how much is this?

Not a dig at all, I'll hold my hands up and admit I've not seen the lad kick a ball outside of the mauling against Liverpool in the cup.

Edited by Davkaus

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

From your posts on here it seems that nearly everything to do with the club causes you misery and anxiety. From the transfers, results, team selections, the manager and now our highly rated youth players.

Yeh man, love it! 

Just don’t think Barry is as good as some of our other youngsters is all. 

Speak tomorrow x

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

You're all a joke.

Ipswich are 5 games into their season and Barry turned 18 two months ago.

For those kicking off at Ipswich: HES 18 and they've played 5 give them both a ****ing chance.

For those writing him off: you've seen him play once Vs Liverpool where he scored and some highlights of the U23s. Get a grip. You're talking bollocks.

He may well not make it and those being overly optimistic haven't seen much of him either. 

All we know about him so far is: Ours, West Broms (who we've plundered for talent) and Barcelonas academy's all thought him highly talented. He's scored in his one appearance Vs Liverpool and he had a good season for the development squads. How the **** can you be writing him off after barely seeing him and all that?

Sorry, you need to rein yourself in a little here.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not belittling him at all, nor am I saying he won't make it.

My observation is Archer has been made our 3rd choice striker being Ollie and Ings - I think few people would argue this point.  I also do not think anyone at the club expected Davis or Wesley to play a real part in the first team this season.

Based on those points, sending Barry out on loan to league 1 rather than keeping him in and around the first team squad, whilst keeping Archer at the club, shows to me that Archer is seen as the stronger player.

Yes, Barry tends to play on the left, but that adds even more weight to him being seen as less ready as we don't have a lot of left sided forwards to chose from.  AEG, Bailey and Buendia all prefer and general perform better from the right, leaving Young, who I believe, was brought in primarily as fullback cover and not wide forward, or wing, can't ver, especially given that he has hardly played as one for years.

Not saying he won't be great in time, just saying that given the circumstances we find ourselves in, it's an odd choice to send him out on loan to league one rather than keep him in the squad, unless he's not viewed as ready.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ve never been overly impressed with Barry tbh. From what I’ve seen, I think Kessler, A. Ramsey and Chukwuemeka are the better players and more likely to make it at the top level. Im really excited for these 3 - especially A. Ramsey.

I know that goes against the grain on here but that’s just what I’ve watched and my opinion.

I’ve always thought that about Kessler. I don’t think he’ll ever play for the first team. Barry showed a lot more for me when ever I watched u18s. 

I agree Ramsey and Chuk look more ready at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Based on those points, sending Barry out on loan to league 1 rather than keeping him in and around the first team squad, whilst keeping Archer at the club, shows to me that Archer is seen as the stronger player.

He is 2 years younger to be fair. Whilst that doesn’t sound like a lot a player develops a lot between the ages of 18 and 20. Especially physically. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Probably another worth ignoring?  

16 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Sorry, you need to rein yourself in a little here.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not belittling him at all, nor am I saying he won't make it.

You replied to somebody saying he isn't as good as we all thought after his new team have played 5 games And said you agree,  not reigning it in it was a fair comment to point out the ridiculousness of it.

And other posters are saying he won't make it, as I quoted. And maybe he won't, but it's a bizarre take in the current context or what we know about him

Archer, yes may well be ahead of Barry or may not, but it's besides the point and why I didn't reply to that part of your comment. 

Edited by HalfTimePost

Â