Tom13

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Maybe, just maybe, he isn’t as good as we all thought he was..

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree here.  Archer has been kept as third choice striker seemingly, so Barry is likely seen as behind Archer at this point.

14 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree here.  Archer has been kept as third choice striker seemingly, so Barry is likely seen as behind Archer at this point.

Barry was playing as a wide left sided forward though, not a striker. I'd imagine if he doesn't play he'll come back, can't see him not playing at that level though.

40 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Archer is 18 months older and went out on loan last season, at a lower level. I wouldn't read too much into Barry being loaned out at all.

• Like 2

Technically he is very good but he is very much a boy physically still. Amd he doesnt have one outstanding aspect to his play. This will probably be the best thing to happen to him with any luck as he will have to work even harder . And if he doesnt then he doesnt get to the top . The harsh realities are that loads don't make it to the top once they get into league football

• Like 1

I don't think Ipswich not selecting Barry for a few games is any evidence that he's not as good as we thought he was, he's only just turned eighteen, last season we had the likes of Raikhy, Lindley, and Bradley Young still playing for the U18s in the U18 Premier League as eighteen year olds, they hadn't even broken into our U23 side yet, Archer was still playing U18 football when he was Barry's age as well.

For me he's our most promising youngster alongside Aaron Ramsey, Carney Chukwuemeka, and Kesler-Hayden.

Maybe Ipswich wasn't the wisest choice on our part for a club to loan him to considering all their spending, but It's still early, for all we know Ipswich might even have an understanding with us that he's going to be used sparingly to begin with and there's a plan in place to slowly ease him into their team as the season goes on, the fact that they'ved made a poor start to the season probably hasn't helped his situation either, probably more reluctant to throw in a youngster at the moment.

Too early to make any kind of definite judgement.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Not sure i agree that he doesn't have one outstanding aspect to his play, thirteen goals in seventeen games in U23 football last season, and another five goals and four assists in six games in the FA Youth Cup is pretty outstanding, especially considering he doesn't score many tap ins.

Paul Cook's a good manager although seems Ipswich isn't a great fit for him so far as they weren't great end of last season either.

When Reece James went on loan to Wigan the other season he played every week and was ready to play for Chelsea when he returned so there's example of young player kicking on under him.

Perhaps he feels Barry isn't ready to start games yet?

I imagine there's a recall clause in January so if he's still not playing going into December then of course bring him back but pretty OTT so far with these recall options.

He is still very young after all, would be different if he was 19-20 as then you start to enter make or break period if loans don't work out like Andre Green the other season when he just bench warmed at Preston.

Edited by VillaChris

I’ve never been overly impressed with Barry tbh. From what I’ve seen, I think Kessler, A. Ramsey and Chukwuemeka are the better players and more likely to make it at the top level. Im really excited for these 3 - especially A. Ramsey.

I know that goes against the grain on here but that’s just what I’ve watched and my opinion.

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Don’t agree with this at all. Shakespeare didn’t know Archers game. He did well in the cup, doesn’t mean they think of him more than Barry.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's not even September. 

• Like 1

The boy has to earn his starting spot that means working his ass off in training and impressing his peers.  To me that is a good learning curve and will help him with his career.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

It's not even September. 

Ha.

I should have been clearer. I’d be surprised if Barry makes it as a PL footballer based on what I’ve seen so far. I think we have better young players than him. 

Could be completely wrong of course and he could be the next Grealish. Certainly hope so. Just never been all that impressed with him in the games I’ve watched. 

On 28/08/2021 at 20:45, rodders0223 said:

Or you know we can say it's been a few games they are losing for fun and if he doesn't back himself to get into that shower of shite then he ain't ready for league football.

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Recall him. Immediately.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

5 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree here.  

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’d be surprised if Barry makes it as a PL footballer based on what I’ve seen so far.

You're all a joke.

Ipswich are 5 games into their season and Barry turned 18 two months ago.

For those kicking off at Ipswich: HES 18 and they've played 5 give them both a ****ing chance.

For those writing him off: you've seen him play once Vs Liverpool where he scored and some highlights of the U23s. Get a grip. You're talking bollocks.

He may well not make it and those being overly optimistic haven't seen much of him either. 

All we know about him so far is: Ours, West Broms (who we've plundered for talent) and Barcelonas academy's all thought him highly talented. He's scored in his one appearance Vs Liverpool and he had a good season for the development squads. How the **** can you be writing him off after barely seeing him and all that?

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

I'm puzzled how anyone can have watched Barry for our U23s and fail to be impressed by him, he's the best attacker at that level that we've had at the club in years, looks like he can make something happen every time he gets the ball in the final third.

Of course being good at U23 level is no guarantee that he's going to make it at first team level, but if people are already deciding he isn't going to make it then our academy is in trouble, because I can guarantee players as good as him won't come along often.

• Like 2

Â