Tom13

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

5-2 down at home. 80th minute and the only sub is the one in the first half for an injury.

Bring him back.

Think we should wait and see with the managerial situation - surely Paul Cook can't be long for this world 

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

5-2 down at home. 80th minute and the only sub is the one in the first half for an injury.

Bring him back.

For what reason? He isn’t getting anywhere near our first team. Are you saying he should be loaned elsewhere because I can’t really disagree with that as he needs game time.

He’s at an age now where I’d expect him to be doing well at the level he’s gone to, especially if he harbours ambitions of being a PL footballer.

Personally, I don’t put him in the same category as Kessler, Carney and A. Ramsey. It’s way too early to tell but i’ll be surprised if he turns out to be as good as the aforementioned.

• Like 1

We need to look at our loan deals and ask ourselves what we really want from them. For me game time is far more important than the level , we should drop down divisions or go abroad before we look at teams who don't need or won't play our players.

This area needs improvement to get the best out of our expenditure on youth players , without improvement we're going to struggle to get all but a few players out of our youth levels. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s at an age now where I’d expect him to be doing well at the level he’s gone to, especially if he harbours ambitions of being a PL footballer.

This. Elite level 18 year olds would be expected to make the PL first team like Rooney, Owen and more recently Bellingham. Mason Mount was on loan at Derby and playing regularly at that age. Kesler is a regular at Swindon and getting rave reviews. Even a 20 year old Josh Onomah played a fair few games for us in the championship! 

To be in League 2 and not even getting on as sub suggests Barry is behind on his development. I think the fact he was at Barcelona for a while misleads people to think he is the next coming of Messi... but he might just be a very naughty boy! Time will tell but doesn't look that promising so far. 

Edited by Made In Aston

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This. Elite level 18 year olds would be expected to make the PL first team like Rooney, Owen and more recently Bellingham. Mason Mount was on loan at Derby and playing regularly at that age. Kesler is a regular at Swindon and getting rave reviews. Even a 20 year old Josh Onomah played a fair few games for us in the championship! 

To be in League 2 and not even getting on as sub suggests Barry is behind on his development. I think the fact he was at Barcelona for a while misleads people to think he is the next coming of Messi... but he might just be a very naughty boy! Time will tell but doesn't look that promising so far. 

It doesn’t, but it might come good and it would be great if it did. It’s a tad concerning he’s not getting game time at the moment though, especially compared to Kessler who by all accounts has started brilliantly.

Barry will be a footballer, whether it be L1, Championship or even conference. He’s almost definitely going to be able to make a living off it, I’ve just not seen enough from him to suggest he’s going to be a PL footballer in the same way I have from Carney, A. Ramsey and Kessler. 

We have some fantastic talent coming through and signings like Burchall, Feeney etc. have only added to the mix, but we have to be realistic. The academy will have done its job if only 1 or 2 of these players go on to make the first team and the others are sold for six figure sums. In an ideal world, we’ll be able to field a competitive PL XI in five years time with every academy graduate but that just doesn’t happen.

There is no doubt in my mind that the guy got mad talent.

But talent often times isn't enough.

Is he as focused, determined and hard working as Jacob? I'm not sure. Lot's of distractions in the life of a footballer.

The fact that he can't get in a League 1 side is concerning though.

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I think the fact he was at Barcelona for a while misleads people to think he is the next coming of Messi.

Purslow said they needed to make a marquee signing for the academy to show young players and their parents that Villa are serious about youth development.

Barry was perfect for that. Coming from Barcelona, with big reputation. I think he already played his role for us, helping us to kick start the academy and sign dozens of talented players from all over the country, even if he doesn’t make it himself not a big loss.

As to why it’s not happening for him right now? Who knows, bad attitude, bad luck, bad manager, could by any combination of reasons.

Edited by Czarnikjak

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Not any more he isn’t, poor lad. I’m still wincing and I just saw it on tv 😬

Sort of bemused by that. Sure bad injury and speedy recovery to the young lad.

But does every player who gets a bad injury get that much coverage????

They were talking like he had cheated death at one stage. "He's in the hospital surrounded by his family" .......

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, useless said:

He's just turned eighteen, a lot of eighteen year olds aren't even playing U23 football yet, players as young as him rarely go out on loan, let alone to a level as high as League One, so this idea that he's behind with his development doesn't ring true to me, he's ahead of most the same age in terms of development, most players his age are still in the second year of their scholarship, many of them still looking to break into the U23s.

Purslow started that if players are not in and around the first team by about 20 then the academy isn't working properly. Barry is 18 and can't even get sub minutes in the lower leagues at the moment. Of course that can all change but perhaps there is probably a bit of extra work that needs to happen to get him back on track. 

People are unhelpfully mixing two arguments. One is 'it's not great for his development that he's not getting any game time at Ipswich' and I agree with that; I've seen people suggesting that it's going to be 'character building' trying to get into the team, which . . . maybe, but let's put it this way, if you had a choice between two teams, one that would regularly pick your loan player and one that wouldn't, you wouldn't put 'character building' ahead of game time when making the decision would you. The other argument that people are mixing up with that one is 'not getting into Ipswich's team proves he's over rated or not going to make it or not as good as our other young players' which is just not right at all, you can't tell that from this situation. He's a good prospect who tore things up last season, he hasn't suddenly become a hopeless case just because Paul Cook likes Sone Aluko more.

Â