Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

This for me is the one area that I blame Smith for, without a doubt. Luiz, Nakamba and Hourihane are far better options. Smith seems to believe that if we play him enough, it's worth the initial hit we'll take, as he'll get close to his 2015 form. He's costing us time and time again, and Smith appears to be quite stubborn on this, which I have to say is out of character.

It was a punt, it hasn't paid off, it's time to accept that and not have him as first name on the teamsheet after Jack...

Its not out of character at all, look at how much he persisted with Wesley. Look at how long we persisted with the 4-3-3. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

44 minutes ago, AV82 said:

How our centre backs are meant to pull in half decent performances with this guy sat in front of them I'll never know.

And yet all three of them were far worse than Drinkwater today....

without being hyperbole, i think he must surely be PL`s slowest player by some distance. There was one moment he had atleast 10 m headstart to the ball, and the ball was only 10 meters away, still he lost the running duel. But somehow i still think he is better than the duo of nakamba and luiz because then our midfield is non existent for much of the game. We had much more possesion then we usually have with him in it. Don`t ask me how, becuase i can`t understand it myself.

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Love Dean but just can't defend or understand how this guy is so high in the pecking order.

He's abysmal.

Spot on. He looks like a 17 year old running around trying to fit in and make a good impression but only making mistakes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Spot on. He looks like a 17 year old running around trying to fit in and make a good impression but only making mistakes. 

It wouldn't be so bad if he had the speed and athleticism of a 17 year old. Unfortunately he makes Engels look like Adama at times. 

• Like 2

He has the head and the attitude that we need. He takes responsibility (unlike all the rest of our midfield), makes himself available, encourages others, looks to make positive runs and passes but ...... his legs are buggered and I don't know why. He has had enough training now to be a lot closer to where he needs to get to but he remains painfully off the pace and that makes him a liability.

Smith plays him because he is desperately trying to resolve the problem by getting fitness into him but he is doing a good impression of a spent force ..... a sort of midfield Hogan with all the talent but no conditioning for this level.

If Smith doesn't play him then that's it - he gives up on him and he may as well be lobbed in the nearest skip because he won't resolve anything sitting on the bench.

Really sad to watch. I think he's a good lad with a real desire to do the business here but the last two years of doing naff-all seem to have destroyed him !

• Like 2

I really don't get how he gets picked ahead of Nakamba and Hourihane. I was confused with the selection and 5 minutes into the game he'd given the ball away twice. 

Just don't get it

Â