Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

21 hours ago, magnkarl said:

If we can get him fit fast I'll be up for using him, but I feel that we're essentially tuning up one of Chelsea's players who will go straight back to their first 11 when we've dealt with his match fitness. We should be investing our time in our own players rather than developing Chelsea's team year in and out. I'm not a 100% on his loan deal though, if there's a buy out clause in there it's good, if not I fear we're helping Chelsea either get a big fee at the end of the season or giving them back a first team top 4 player. In the short run he might fix some of our issues, but in the long term we'll be in the same place we've been with a striker since Abraham left. The only team who's profiting in the long run is Chelsea.

Our academy and youngsters need to be allowed to step up, atm we have a fairly bad habit of loaning in or buying golden oldies from other teams instead.

If he plays well for us, he’s helping us not Chelsea. You can see there is a player there.

As for the youth team, I doubt any are ready to be starting vital premier league games in cm. On the academy threads people who watch those regularly say that. Vassilev has come in recently upfront, and even then it’s many just for his energy and running. He’s had little impact with the ball. A Cm would need to be on the ball. 

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Luiz is much better than a fit Drinkwater.

At what ? Heading ? Nope, tackling ? Nope moving the ball quickly to another villa player ? Nope, disciplined in his specific role ? Nope, complimenting nakamba team wise ? Nope.

And that's an unfit drinkwater. 

Luiz appears at the moment best placed coming off the bench. Not a bad thing and no doubt will aid his progression.

At the moment we need that steady ship which an unfit drinkwater gives over luiz

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

At what ? Heading ? Nope, tackling ? Nope moving the ball quickly to another villa player ? Nope, disciplined in his specific role ? Nope, complimenting nakamba team wise ? Nope.

And that's an unfit drinkwater. 

Luiz appears at the moment best placed coming off the bench. Not a bad thing and no doubt will aid his progression.

At the moment we need that steady ship which an unfit drinkwater gives over luiz

2 games is a row we've been in losing positions with Drinkwater in the team. 2 times in a row we've turned it into draws and wins when he's been subbed off.

It's not a coincidence.

Technically Luiz is miles above him. His passing is better. He's much quicker. He's shooting is better. He's 21 so will only improve as well.

There is no reason to play Drinkwater ahead of Luiz, no way.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Technically Luiz is miles above him. His passing is better. He's much quicker. He's shooting is better. He's 21 so will only improve as well.

There is no reason to play Drinkwater ahead of Luiz, no way.

Luiz brain fades that lead to goals and not doing the supporting role to Nakamba. Drinkwater is getting fitter every game. I'm loving the Luiz off the bench role. Worked twice in two games

P.S. I didn't read earlier posts when I posted but my points have already been addressed

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Luiz brain fades that lead to goals and not doing the supporting role to Nakamba. Drinkwater is getting fitter every game. I'm loving the Luiz off the bench role. Worked twice in two games

We are always in losing positions with Drink in the team

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

That's a very minimal way of looking at it. We were bossing game vs Watford but no striker and he wasn't responsible for goal

I'm happy with him keeping Luiz out the side.
He's not great but I thought he improved against Norwich. 

Luiz is 21, he should be coming off the bench and learning his trade that way. I don't think he has the mental capacity to play 90 mins yet, he makes too many costly mistakes.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Are you aware of the term ‘sample size’?

He’s clearly not up to fitness yet but if you genuinely think he offered nothing the other day I’m not sure you understand what the role of those two midfielders is meant to be.

As others have alluded to I think Luiz could learn a hell of a lot from Drinkwater in terms of positional and tactical discipline. Once he gets better here I do think he’ll eclipse Drinkwater as a player. Considering how many stupid goals we’ve given away this year (with Luiz responsible for a few) I think that discipline is more important at the moment.

Drinkwater did badly for a few of the Man City goals but he was clearly well off the pace playing against the best midfield in possession in the league. He was clearly not anywhere near match fit so I think you’ll have to (and no doubt you’ll eagerly take me up on it) criticise Smith for playing him way more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's a very minimal way of looking at it. We were bossing game vs Watford but no striker and he wasn't responsible for goal

Just to second your point. With Luiz/Nakamba starting we took the lead versus Burnley and Leicester in the first half then held on for dear life in the 2nd. That really isn't sustainable. 3 games into Drinkwater starting and we had 65% of the possession versus Watford.  We definitely score more than 2 goals if we have an actual striker in the lineup. Drinkwater has his faults but having options off the bench to change the game is something that Dean has been lacking all season. 

• Like 1

Clear signs on Tuesday that he is improving - if we can get him anywhere near what he was for Leicester it will be exceptional business .

Douglas will start v Leicester and Have his chance to stake a claim for Bournemouth - both are decent players and competition is good 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you aware of the term ‘sample size’?

He’s clearly not up to fitness yet but if you genuinely think he offered nothing the other day I’m not sure you understand what the role of those two midfielders is meant to be.

As others have alluded to I think Luiz could learn a hell of a lot from Drinkwater in terms of positional and tactical discipline. Once he gets better here I do think he’ll eclipse Drinkwater as a player. Considering how many stupid goals we’ve given away this year (with Luiz responsible for a few) I think that discipline is more important at the moment.

Drinkwater did badly for a few of the Man City goals but he was clearly well off the pace playing against the best midfield in possession in the league. He was clearly not anywhere near match fit so I think you’ll have to (and no doubt you’ll eagerly take me up on it) criticise Smith for playing him way more.

Very good post.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Clear signs on Tuesday that he is improving - if we can get him anywhere near what he was for Leicester it will be exceptional business .

Douglas will start v Leicester and Have his chance to stake a claim for Bournemouth - both are decent players and competition is good 

I hope Luiz won't start. He's not very good when he starts, he gets tired physically and mentally. Coming off the bench he's been great. Don't change that.

• Like 1

I love how Drinkwater is progressing with each game and it confirms my belief that Smith is taking a short term gamble for long term gain. More to that he's got Luiz coming off the bench making an impact in 2 games running and addressing a problem we've had all season with not finishing stronger in the 2nd half. 

• Like 1

Â