Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I like how some were saying that Drinkwater shouldn't have started the other day yet Drinkwater played pretty well and then Luiz came off the bench to score, strikes me as good game management from Smith.

I suspect the thinking might be that because Drinkwater played 55mins and didn’t score but Luiz played 35mins and did score if we had played Luiz for the whole match he would have scored a number of times.  

Unfortunately football is not that simple however. 

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I like how some were saying that Drinkwater shouldn't have started the other day yet Drinkwater played pretty well and then Luiz came off the bench to score, strikes me as good game management from Smith.

Agree Luiz seems more effective coming off the bench but I didn’t see the highlighted part. I thought he look way off the pace and playing him alongside Nakamba made us too defensive against a team that had parked the bus. We created nothing.

Having said that I saw improvements in his last game and can see that if he got up to speed he would be valuable to us. My only worry is he looks so off the pace he may need half a season to get back to his best.

On 25/01/2020 at 05:29, Kiwivillan said:

He's cup tied. Played for Burnley

Shame as he improving with each game, we need him fully match fit when he is I think he'll play a major part for us for the rest of the season, him and Marvelous play well together Marvelous as the enforcer the DD as the playmaker, you could see him getting frustrated with the lack of movement up front against Watford he was urging people to get in a position to recieve a forward pass. Going to be interesting to see if he gets back to his best whilst with us.

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 1

Thought he played well first half against Watford, second half drifted away, if he makes an improvement on that and can bring the game for longer tonight and hold is own, then I'll be happy.

His fitness should of improved a bit more now, has a temper though water does.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 21:37, sne said:

I think he's been comfortably the worst player on the pitch each time he's played so far.

He is improving thou, but again it's impossible not to.

I actually tried to watch him carefully and one thing that was absolutely obvious was that his defensive positioning and awareness was better than we're used too. Distinctly remember them having the ball wide, him tracking back, all though breathing out his arse he instantly checked the wingers space and run so he would catch up ground. He doesn't look match fit, but he definitely has something about him. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i doubt we'll find out but it would be interesting to know if he had a couple of days off last week due to us having no fixture and the same for in a couple of weeks time, short holiday or putting the hours in with our fitness team

I believe they're all having around 4/5 days off after Bournemouth, with the Drink having slightly less, running at the training ground for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

to be fair jack was a teenager when he had his issues, this guy was what......28?

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its more than once though. He was also drunk when he tried hitting on that girl that caused him to get beat up.

1 hour ago, sne said:

First is was the drink driving, and then it was the acting like an arse and getting beat up at a club.

"Incidents" were months apart. It's not a one time thing, and it's not like he's a kid like Grealish was. Dude is almost 30.

That type of experienced head we can do without.

yes. yes we all know how Merson and McGrath turned out for us. Different times.

For me that still doesn’t indicate an alcohol problem or issue. Many footballers have done a lot worse. 
Alleged the way McCormack was, was alcoholic issue not Drinkwater 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For me that still doesn’t indicate an alcohol problem or issue. Many footballers have done a lot worse. 
Alleged the way McCormack was, was alcoholic issue not Drinkwater 

Bildresultat för okilly dokilly gif"

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think you should brand someone as having a drink problem / being an alcoholic unless you (a) understand alcoholism, and (b) know the specifics of that individual’s drinking habits.

Two (fairly serious) drink-related incidents indicates a person who might want to reflect on their relationship with alcohol. It by no means proves they are an alcoholic, or have done permanent damage to their body through excessive drinking.

We fans simply don’t know. Being a bit of a loose cannon on a night out is a common trait of young men in their 20s, especially alpha personalities with more testosterone than sense. It doesn’t make him a bad footballer or a bad person to have in the dressing room.

I think it’s noticeable that our greater bite and nastiness on the pitch has coincided with his arrival. At the very least, players like Nakamba and Luiz will benefit from training with and against him.

Good post, I’d also add as a caveat that we don’t know that it was even excessive drinking from Drinkwater. You could go out in any city/town in the UK and see people have a drunken scuffle over a kiss. As with drink driving, I’m not agreeing to it, but it unfortunately happens, it doesn’t mean that person has a drinking problem, just that they acted idiotically  

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I don’t think you should brand someone as having a drink problem / being an alcoholic unless you (a) understand alcoholism, and (b) know the specifics of that individual’s drinking habits.

Two (fairly serious) drink-related incidents indicates a person who might want to reflect on their relationship with alcohol. It by no means proves they are an alcoholic, or have done permanent damage to their body through excessive drinking.

We fans simply don’t know. Being a bit of a loose cannon on a night out is a common trait of young men in their 20s, especially alpha personalities with more testosterone than sense. It doesn’t make him a bad footballer or a bad person to have in the dressing room.

I think it’s noticeable that our greater bite and nastiness on the pitch has coincided with his arrival. At the very least, players like Nakamba and Luiz will benefit from training with and against him.

Yeah I don't doubt it's not alcoholism.

wasnt one of the episodes him drinking and trying to bed another lower league footballers wife?

So yeah he wasnt an alcoholic, he was just a tool.

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Needs to do alot more. I'll just put this down to fitness, but lets hope it's not a waste of a loan.

I’m pretty sure we didn’t use up all our loan places, so not a waste of a loan in that sense anyway. 

Â