Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

19 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Frankly if I was Danny Drinkwater I would be asking the manager not to play me to to save me further embarrassment. Just shows how dim Smith is.."..

You should let him know where he’s going wrong. Frankly it’s quite selfish for you to confine your superior intellect to this website.

I just can't see what DD has done to justify his selection. Still looks just as out of shape as when he arrived. Hourihane simply offers more, due to his set piece threat. Nakamba is way more energetic, and just as good at keeping possession. 

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Hourihane simply offers more, due to his set piece threat

Absolute junk in the middle. 9 tackles all season. You can't have a player on just for set pieces(have we scored more than 1 in PL from his?). We had our chances with Drinkwater. Hourihane is Championship level player that people say is the answer as soon as he's out of the team having been dropped for bad performances after getting chances

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Absolute junk in the middle. 9 tackles all season. You can't have a player on just for set pieces(have we scored more than 1 in PL from his?). We had our chances with Drinkwater. Hourihane is Championship level player that people say is the answer as soon as he's out of the team having been dropped for bad performances after getting chances

I agree, he is merely a championship player, but so is Drinkwater too, based on what we've seen so far. Hourihane's been with us longer, knows how Smith wants to play, and has shown he can link up well with Grealish. Add to that his goal threat, and it's not even close which of them should be starting. 

I don't think Drinkwater is a bad player, but this system just doesn't work for him. He's too exposed, has no pace, no strength. The space around him mean players can quite easily bypass him as if he's not there.Really needs to be DL/Nakambad in there, then 1 of those + McGinn when he's fit.

• Like 1

I think he and Luiz won the ball several times in midfield. He is strong and combative which is something Conor obviously lacks. On the ball in the main he did OK, he definitely is overthinking things and is constantly horrified of making a mistake. Without a doubt he is struggling with the pace of the league, given he’s played several games for us and struggled to go far beyond half time it’s difficult to see him getting up to speed in the time frame we need. 

I’d go with Marvelous because we are in no situation to be carrying passengers. 

22 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I agree, he is merely a championship player, but so is Drinkwater too, based on what we've seen so far. Hourihane's been with us longer, knows how Smith wants to play, and has shown he can link up well with Grealish. Add to that his goal threat, and it's not even close which of them should be starting. 

Hourihane should not be starting, such short memories some of you have lol

I would much rather have Drinkwater. Personally think he looked promising yesterday despite lacking fitness and a yard of pace. If he works hard there will be more improvement.

Connors left peg is premier league quality but thats it I'm afraid. Can't have someone in the team who shys away from tackles and generally does not work hard enough. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I don't think Drinkwater is a bad player, but this system just doesn't work for him. He's too exposed, has no pace, no strength. The space around him mean players can quite easily bypass him as if he's not there.Really needs to be DL/Nakambad in there, then 1 of those + McGinn when he's fit.

💯 agree.  Roy Keane or Patrick Viera would struggle in the position for Villa. He is virtually playing midfield on his own.

Against the top six Drinkwater should not be paired with Luiz in midfield. Together they are too lightweight and lack the pace to catch opposing midfielders running beyond them.

Going forward though I thought Drinkwater had his best game for Villa with some accurate passing but he simply hasn’t the legs yet to track back so Villa are constantly cut to pieces through the middle on the break and with Engels at CB Villa will always be susceptible to pace against the better teams.

29 minutes ago, birdman said:

Hourihane should not be starting, such short memories some of you have lol

I would much rather have Drinkwater. Personally think he looked promising yesterday despite lacking fitness and a yard of pace. If he works hard there will be more improvement.

Connors left peg is premier league quality but thats it I'm afraid. Can't have someone in the team who shys away from tackles and generally does not work hard enough. 

If Connors left peg is premier league quality and thats it then I'm struggling to see what Drinkwater provides if anything that is premier league quality.

Potentially if he gets up to speed? Yeah, we might have a premier league quality player. But right now? I have no idea how people see him as superior to Conor.

He isn't even good at tackling himself. Whoscored lists that as a weakness of his ffs and he doesn't average much more than a single succesful tackle per 90.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I'm genuinely concerned that as part of the negotiations to sign him Smith has provided some concrete reassurances about his playing time. I can't think of any other reason why he is consistently making the starting 11 when there are other options available.

When he initially signed Sean Dyche said this which I found strange at the time - 

"I presume Villa have told him he is going to play every game, or a version of it, I don't know and there is no angle."

"I am just expressing my opinion that they must have said he is going to play a lot for him to make the decision to go there."

Then he gets thrown in to the starting 11 for the game against City which I found bizarre, and he has started every game that he has been available since (he was not on the bench for Bournemouth so assuming he wasn't available for selection). 

I'm speculating here, but if this is the case then it is an absolutely absurb situation that our PL status is being jeapordised by assurances we've provided to secure an unfit player on loan. If he is selected to start the next game I will be seriously questioning Smith's judgement. I've seen milk turn quicker than Drinkwater yesterday. 

At least he's getting better...

(Premier League 03-12-2019 Burnley 1 : 4 Manchester City 59' 5.92)

Premier League 12-01-2020 Aston Villa 1 : 6 Manchester City 79' 4.95

Premier League 18-01-2020 Brighton 1 : 1 Aston Villa 68' 6.01

Premier League 21-01-2020 Aston Villa 2 : 1 Watford 56' 5.79

Premier League 16-02-2020 Aston Villa 2 : 3 Tottenham 60' 6.21

Rocking a solid 5.74/10 rating for his games with us. And that's all game where he's started, not sub appearances. 

Still a very small sample size he continues to be comfortably our worst player on the pitch.

9 minutes ago, handsworthvilla said:

I'm genuinely concerned that as part of the negotiations to sign him Smith has provided some concrete reassurances about his playing time. I can't think of any other reason why he is consistently making the starting 11 when there are other options available.

When he initially signed Sean Dyche said this which I found strange at the time - 

"I presume Villa have told him he is going to play every game, or a version of it, I don't know and there is no angle."

"I am just expressing my opinion that they must have said he is going to play a lot for him to make the decision to go there."

Then he gets thrown in to the starting 11 for the game against City which I found bizarre, and he has started every game that he has been available since (he was not on the bench for Bournemouth so assuming he wasn't available for selection). 

I'm speculating here, but if this is the case then it is an absolutely absurb situation that our PL status is being jeapordised by assurances we've provided to secure an unfit player on loan. If he is selected to start the next game I will be seriously questioning Smith's judgement. I've seen milk turn quicker than Drinkwater yesterday. 

Forgot about that. 

Interesting. We'd be very foolish if we agreed to anything like that. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

At least he's getting better...

(Premier League 03-12-2019 Burnley 1 : 4 Manchester City 59' 5.92)

Premier League 12-01-2020 Aston Villa 1 : 6 Manchester City 79' 4.95

Premier League 18-01-2020 Brighton 1 : 1 Aston Villa 68' 6.01

Premier League 21-01-2020 Aston Villa 2 : 1 Watford 56' 5.79

Premier League 16-02-2020 Aston Villa 2 : 3 Tottenham 60' 6.21

Rocking a solid 5.74/10 rating for his games with us. And that's all game where he's started, not sub appearances. 

Still a very small sample size he continues to be comfortably our worst player on the pitch.

Tbf on that last one, pretty sure Engels  and Konsa had a worse rating in that match.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

You should let him know where he’s going wrong. Frankly it’s quite selfish for you to confine your superior intellect to this website.

I don't mind your sarcasm ( the lowest form of wit ) but if you have an opinion on Drinkwater inclusion in the team I would be interested to hear it.

ATB,

VLD.

Smith can't keep cutting off his nose to spite his face selecting this guy because he brought him in. He's well off the pace and could have cost us 3 or 4 goals yesterday, Spurs fans have said as much themselves and were disappointed when he went off. 

He tries hard I give him that, but he is slow on the ball, clumsy and ponderous and clearly a long way off being fit. He should only be coming on as a sub to close out a game if he really must play a part, and I even have my doubts that he's capable of doing that convincingly

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf on that last one, pretty sure Engels  and Konsa had a worse rating in that match.

On Whoscored yes, on Sofascore no.

Overall no one is even close to his low rating but as mentioned small sample size and stats are just stats.

What bugged me most yesterday was that many of his passes that did in fact have the right address were underhit or fluffed so the guy receiving them was in a bad spot and closed down when he got the ball. Stats don't show stuff like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't get it, if Danny Drinkwater is going to be playing why not just retain Glenn Whelan in the summer? He's twice the player of DD and much more mobile even at 47 or however old he is now, and on half the wages to boot

Â