Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

I don't for one second believe that Hourihane isn't Premier League quality, I think it's about utilisation, set up and tactics. He offers something.

However, even if I pretend for a second that he is only Championship quality, I still think that puts him light years ahead of Drinkwater. I'm genuinely not convinced Drinkwater would be a consistent starter for a League One club as it stands. His fitness and pace is arguably the worst I've ever seen at Villa Park and, possibly due to that, he displays absolutely no quality on or off the ball. 

If, for arguments sake, we suggest both CH and DD are passengers at this level, then clearly you choose the player who has three goals and two assists in 16 matches.

In a packed field over the last few years, Danny Drinkwater is beginning to cement himself as the worst player* to have played for us in the Premier League. Either he has a sudden upturn in form/ability or he gets dropped very soon so he's statistically irrelevant. Even Sanchez offered more than he does, I've not seen a single redeeming quality yet!

*not including players who simply didn't really feature like Djemba-Djemba.

• Like 2

In my opinion, Drinkwater has proved to be an ill thought out loan in. He is clearly not up to the pace of the PL, and I doubt he ever will be again.

We needed someone to come in and be good to go, not someone needing to be given time to possibly make a difference.

No matter whether he gives away goals or not, his presence actually has a negative effect on the team performance.

I don’t think Drinkwater should be in our first team with his current sharpness/fitness. Although apparently his passing completion was the highest of either side at 86% and had 4th (I think) most passes of either side despite playing only 60 minutes. He was better on Sunday although still a bit Socceraid.

Watching Drinkwater you can see is a footballer in there. His major issue with watching him is you can see he cant actually move or run. Would love to see his heat map from yesterday, be shocked if he wasnt all in the same square

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Watching Drinkwater you can see is a footballer in there. His major issue with watching him is you can see he cant actually move or run. Would love to see his heat map from yesterday, be shocked if he wasnt all in the same square

You can find it on sofascore.com.

Choose PL and then the game and then the player.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

You can find it on sofascore.com.

Choose PL and then the game and then the player.

Pretty much where I expected him to be is all red. 

Interestingly they voted him the 2nd worst player on the pitch, Dele Alli showed Drinkwater how to be shit ;)

20 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yet there were posts in here early on about how Drinkwater is a significantly superior option to Hourihane.

There might be lots of posts but I don’t think it’s correct, and there’s also stats proving otherwise as well. 

Danny Drinkwater has made five tackles in four Premier League appearances. He's been dribbled past 16 times... For context, Conor Hourihane has been dribbled past 8 times in 16 appearances.

That alone is pretty clear he isn’t protecting the defence whatsoever. 

he makes Nakamba look like a pomp form Makelele. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graham t said:

I don't mind your sarcasm ( the lowest form of wit ) but if you have an opinion on Drinkwater inclusion in the team I would be interested to hear it.

ATB,

VLD.

Bit of a cliche. I’d trumpet fart jokes personally, but each to their own.

I think Drinkwater is more disciplined than any of our other midfielders and closes off space well. I think Luiz has played better with Drinkwater in midfield next to him (so far). Unfortunately that doesn’t help when he’s so far off the pace and I do worry he won’t have time to get up to speed and make a positive impact. Can’t wait for McGinn to come back.

The sarcasm was because I’d literally just read another post where you made the insinuation we lost because ‘Smith is a dipshit’ and I don’t agree. Baston was weird, but we didn’t have options. I thought we were very naive individually which cost us and I’m not sure what else I’d have done in the day.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After an ok start yesterday he eventually got over ran and Struggled. I would have preferred Nakamba to start to be honest. 

He’s a shadow of the player he was at Leicester. 

I agree.  He never was overly quick atLeicester but his positioning & passing made up for it. The big plus for him was that he had Kante covering for him.

I don't understand why at this stage of the season he is not in shape and why Villa signed him knowing that. I'm very disappointed with him & don't see much of a future for him other than running his contract out at Chelsea. 

15 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I agree.  He never was overly quick atLeicester but his positioning & passing made up for it. The big plus for him was that he had Kante covering for him.

I don't understand why at this stage of the season he is not in shape and why Villa signed him knowing that. I'm very disappointed with him & don't see much of a future for him other than running his contract out at Chelsea. 

Exactly this. Compare Drinkwater to Samatta, both were well off pace on arrival, one is now looking VERY lively and the other hasn't changed. Drinkwater has the right attitude, he spent his recent break in a training camp but I see no improvement in his mobility and that can only mean he has Hoganitis ie: he is irreperably broken and needs to be handed back asap. We must not carry  players with his vulnerability in his position or he'll cost us a goal a game or more !

• Like 1

Drinkwater has been taking the piss since he got his big money move but realized he was never going to be good enough to play for Chelsea.

2.5 years with hardly any football you can't really expect to just kick start your body even if you suddenly feel like playing again. Especially if you are pushing 30 and has been partaking in more alcohol than a professional athlete should.

He's one of our two best fit CMs. I'm actually surprised at the hate on here—I thought he was OK on Sunday. He got badly outpaced one time for sure, but who was that against?

His calmness is on another level to Nakamba's.

Â