Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Shouldn't be starting anymore. He'll need 20 consecutive games to get up to speed. We don't have that luxury. Sorry Danny. Cautionary tale of going to a "big" club just to warm the bench for a couple of years. He might never get back in the groove at this point. Career at the top level effectively over at 30.

• Like 1

He definitely knows what he's trying to do. His body just isn't letting him.

Nerves really kicked in today which I didn't even see in the City game, he was panicking on the ball constantly.

Frustrating he's still in no shape tbh, yes it isn't easy but I'd have thought we could have got more done with him in 4 weeks, especially when he's been getting first team minutes.

He needs a tough, very unpleasant pre-season to get himself sorted.

As has been said above, we don't have that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, siminjo said:

without being hyperbole, i think he must surely be PL`s slowest player by some distance. There was one moment he had atleast 10 m headstart to the ball, and the ball was only 10 meters away, still he lost the running duel. But somehow i still think he is better than the duo of nakamba and luiz because then our midfield is non existent for much of the game. We had much more possesion then we usually have with him in it. Don`t ask me how, becuase i can`t understand it myself.

It's because he keeps the ball moving without rushing to play high risk passes. His passing range is his best asset, and he positions himself well. Has always been slow so needs legs alongside him.

I'd be keen to see an edit of Drinkwater's performance today, because I feel like there were plenty of good moments interspersed with some running through treacle.

Was a very odd performance - not a total shocker, but it was really concerning to see a player whose main attribute used to be his engine and athleticism now look shot to pieces. You expect it from someone like Lansbury, but you don't from a player like Drinkwater.

The sad thing is you compare James Milner and Danny Drinkwater at age 25 and there isn't a huge gulf between them. Both unfussy, non-technical midfielders with great engines and good decision making. Both with one league title under their belts. Milner also had to contend with being a squad player at a big club.

But Milner handled the situation much better, and now has 2 league titles with a third on the way, a Champions League, etc. All because he looked after himself.

I really hope we get something better out of DD, I really do. Got nothing against the man. I'm sure he's doing all the right things here, but you can't turn a career around in a month.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'd be keen to see an edit of Drinkwater's performance today, because I feel like there were plenty of good moments interspersed with some running through treacle.

Was a very odd performance - not a total shocker, but it was really concerning to see a player whose main attribute used to be his engine and athleticism now look shot to pieces. You expect it from someone like Lansbury, but you don't from a player like Drinkwater.

The sad thing is you compare James Milner and Danny Drinkwater at age 25 and there isn't a huge gulf between them. Both unfussy, non-technical midfielders with great engines and good decision making. Both with one league title under their belts. Milner also had to contend with being a squad player at a big club.

But Milner handled the situation much better, and now has 2 league titles with a third on the way, a Champions League, etc. All because he looked after himself.

I really hope we get something better out of DD, I really do. Got nothing against the man. I'm sure he's doing all the right things here, but you can't turn a career around in a month.

Not sure you ever watched him for Leicester. It was his positioning and passing. Diagonal balls right into the path of Vardy were his bread and butter. Kante was the athlete and engine. Always been slow as molasses.

Foe Leicester was usually in the right position to be able to put his foot in or foul without getting booked. Is a clever player. Just not sharp yet, but improving and getting there.

Edited by Philosopher

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Not sure you ever watched him for Leicester. It was his positioning and passing. Diagonal balls right into the path of Vardy were his bread and butter. Kante was the athlete and engine. Always been slow as molasses.

Okay. I watched most of their televised games that season.

He had a great engine. Not as amazing as Kante's, but whose is? He is much slower now than he was 5 years ago.

Not sure I understand which bit of my post you're disputing.

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Okay. I watched most of their televised games that season.

He had a great engine. Not as amazing as Kante's, but whose is? He is much slower now than he was 5 years ago.

Not sure I understand which bit of my post you're disputing.

He was slow then same as now. He doesn't have a great engine. It's ok that is all  always held position in front of the back 4, read the game well and positions himself accordingly. Never really put himself about, was just efficient and disciplined. McGinn, Kante, Milner, Wijnaldum those are great engines.

Edited by Philosopher

We dominated midfield yesterday with DD a major reason for that. We lost because we couldn't handle the running of Son and Moura in behind. Simple balls over the top and straight through us catching primarily Konsa and Engels ball watching. Although Hause and our fullbacks were also guilty of this to a lesser extent. 

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We dominated midfield yesterday with DD a major reason for that. We lost because we couldn't handle the running of Son and Moura in behind. Simple balls over the top and straight through us catching primarily Konsa and Engels ball watching. Although Hause and our fullbacks were also guilty of this to a lesser extent. 

We did have short periods of control against a very poor Spurs side. Mainly that was due to Jack doing the work of two men. Drinkwater is just downright poor and shouldn't be selected. You are right about our defence though, truly shockingly bad, as proved by our goals against tally.

ATB,

VLD.

When he signed i jokingly said McGinn will be match fit before Drinkwater. That is no longer a joke! 

I'm beginning to think he has a Cleverley type must start if fit clause in his loan contract.  

Edited by Kingman

Â