Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

On 24/01/2020 at 10:59, Dr_Pangloss said:

I like how some were saying that Drinkwater shouldn't have started the other day yet Drinkwater played pretty well and then Luiz came off the bench to score, strikes me as good game management from Smith.

I don’t actually think he did play well. We were 1-0 down and didn’t register a shot on target.  Yes we looked compact but we had zero attacking threat with him and Nakamba both holding against a team with 9 men behind the ball. 

Smith does deserve credit for changing it though. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t actually think he did play well. We were 1-0 down and didn’t register a shot on target.  Yes we looked compact but we had zero attacking threat with him and Nakamba both holding against a team with 9 men behind the ball. 

Smith does deserve credit for changing it though. 

I still disagree. Like, tbh I didn't think Drinkwater should've started to begin with and he should've been hauled off at half-time. So the idea that him pulling off Drinkwater and putting on Luiz, something that he imo should've done from the very beginning is somehow good game management is absurd to me.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

19 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I still disagree. Like, tbh I didn't think Drinkwater should've started to begin with and he should've been hauled off at half-time. So the idea that him pulling off Drinkwater and putting on Luiz, something that he imo should've done from the very beginning is somehow good game management is absurd to me.

I think its good game management because he saw something wasn't working and corrected it and li lead to a victory from being behind.  

Lets just say hypothetically speaking Luiz did start but Watford still had everyone behind the ball and we didn't break them down for 60 minutes.  We're still 1-0 down.  Luiz by then was legging so no longer could get forward as much.  So what does he do? Pointless bringing on Drinkwater because he is too defensive.  He could go Hourihane but he's very hit and miss.    Luiz is a very good option to change a game.

It does feel at times fans find it really hard to give credit to Smith when we win but are really quick to get the knives out when we don't.  (Not aiming that at you).

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think its good game management because he saw something wasn't working and corrected it and li lead to a victory from being behind.  

Lets just say hypothetically speaking Luiz did start but Watford still had everyone behind the ball and we didn't break them down for 60 minutes.  We're still 1-0 down.  Luiz by then was legging so no longer could get forward as much.  So what does he do? Pointless bringing on Drinkwater because he is too defensive.  He could go Hourihane but he's very hit and miss.    Luiz is a very good option to change a game.

It does feel at times fans find it really hard to give credit to Smith when we win but are really quick to get the knives out when we don't.  (Not aiming that at you).

I mean, you could also argue it the other way, Luiz starts and we actually do better in that first half, perhaps with the stronger midfield not even go behind in the first place or even score a goal when we had that period of control. I don't see why this possibility is significantly less possible than the one you outlined above. 

Eh, I wouldn't mind if if you aimed that at me because I probably have given Smith more shit than he deserves. Although I still maintain the above regarding Drinkwater substitution. Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, you could also argue it the other way, Luiz starts and we actually do better in that first half, perhaps with the stronger midfield not even go behind in the first place or even score a goal when we had that period of control. I don't see why this possibility is significantly less possible than the one you outlined above. 

Eh, I wouldn't mind if if you aimed that at me because I probably have given Smith more shit than he deserves. Although I still maintain the above regarding Drinkwater substitution. Looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

yes you could argue that could have happened and if we hadn't won the game we probably all would have been.  But we'll never know so its all hypothetically.  When dealing with facts its turns out Smiths decisions got us 3 points.  Ultimately thats all that counts. 

Any word on where he is? From starting two in a row to out the squad?

He'd have likely been bumrushed just like Doug, but at least we could have had Doug off the bench where he's been good.

I see another player went down with the mysterious "tight calf"  It's smells like bullshit Drinkwater was obviously given the day off. Which is an absolute joke considering there's no games for 2 weeks.  Even if 2 games in 4 games was too much for him he could of started the first half just to give us a foothold in the game.

away from home it's crucial drinkwater plays. It gives Nkamba a bit more support. Nkamba was ragged yesturday (amongst many others)

18 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I see another player went down with the mysterious "tight calf"  It's smells like bullshit Drinkwater was obviously given the day off. Which is an absolute joke considering there's no games for 2 weeks.  Even if 2 games in 4 games was too much for him he could of started the first half just to give us a foothold in the game.

away from home it's crucial drinkwater plays. It gives Nkamba a bit more support. Nkamba was ragged yesturday (amongst many others)

Why would he be rested. He hadn't started since the week before.

• Like 1

Almost sad to say but we need him.

We badly miss McGinn & his dynamism.

A physical CM/DM would’ve helped us but the window is over now and we seemed restricted in what we could do (bloody FFP!).

We’re too lightweight in the middle, I do admire Nakamba’s battling qualities but he can’t do it alone. Sooner we can get Drinkwater fit and in form, the better.

Luiz & Nakamba need a stable, calming influence around them. Who else do we have?

• 2 weeks later...
Â