Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

We are in the market for a DM and another potential CM. We don't have European football, people keep banging on about squad depth but these guys aren't going to sit on the bench for most of the season. Luiz, Sanson, Targett, Ings/Watkins, they will want to play.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wow, If Spurs are preparing a bid of £32m, imagine how much he must be worth!

Haha seriously though, it’s funny how some fans have seen him as a player to shift yet he’s the one allegedly subject to offensive bids from Arsenal, Tottenham, Roma etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Wasn't there an issue with FFP and the wages we could offer for the first 3 years in the PL? Has that now eased? 

As someone else said, Jack being sold for £100m helps.

But I think the piece you are referring to is that FFP is calculated for your income over three seasons. In your first year back in the PL, that’s three Championship seasons. In your second, it’s still two. In your third, it’s still one. Etc. So if you want to spend as much as, say, Brighton or Everton who have had PL income for that time you need to ease gently up to it over three years. Looks from our business so far that we are getting to that point which will likely mean some jumps in transfer fees and wages here.

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

If we sell, anyone but spuds. The way they insulted us with thier bids for grealish, we should never entertain doing business with levy

Agree 100%.

I think this smacks of clubs/the press knowing that Douglas has a year and a half of his contract. Clubs will be sniffing around with a view to signing a Brazilian international, who is proven in the PL on the cheap and the press will link any clubs that they suspect may be interested (not Newcastle yet, for some uncanny reason). 

I can see Arsenal's interest as being tit for tat, given our bids for ESR in a similar situation during the last window. I would not expect Levy to bid £32m unless he was really desperate to get a signing over the line during this window, having failed to do so to date. What would Newcastle have to offer other than a relegation battle, higher wages and an earner for his agent? Hopefully club and player can agree a new contract sooner rather than later like ESR did.   

• Like 1

I like Luiz but £30m+ for a player who is possibly running down his contract does start to seem like a sensible option for us to cash in on. Obviously lots of discussion recently on how he fits into the team and what “number” he should play but if we could reinvest into someone who is better suited to a defined role for us it might even improve this side 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’ve so far seen Newcastle, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton all linked with moves for him. I suspect we’re trying to start a bidding war.

He got a new agent 2 weeks ago.

I think his new agent has been ringing around to drum up interest and strengthen his negotiating position. 

• Like 1

It's odd he doesn't want to stick around. 

In a place which is clearly ambitious and on the up.   Learning from one of the greatest midfielders The PL has ever seen.  Playing alongside Coutinho who you would think is a bit of an idol. Seems settled. Just odd he wants to move, especially if it's not to a Champions League club. 

I've always got the impression from him that he is happy in a away to be here but it was kind of forced on him with the city situation.

Adding the to the fact...he has been here a few seasons now and still don't know what position he plays....he isn't a CDM but will he get a chance to play more advanced

Yes he has a good touch...can find a pass...and brings a bit of bite in the middle...but I have never been that impressed with him that ive thought....wow...he played well today...almost a solid 7....does what he has to do.

If we can get 35 plus for him...id take that...more so if there if its likely he doesn't want to sign a new deal 

Â