Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Has he ever been able to recreate that brief form after project restart? And also, was his form THAT good in that period or was it a case of teams being sluggish after a long break? 

He’ll be gone in the Summer I’m afraid and quite frankly, if we can get anywhere near £30m for him with his contract situation, I think we’ve done well. He’s not a bad player but he just isn’t kicking on at all and I don’t think he has the pace and athleticism to play as an 8. 

• Like 1

I think its funny a lot of Villa fans are happy to sell him but will bizarrely end up starting for a team higher up than us

Its like these scouts at Tottenham, Arsenal or Roma dont visit football forums 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think its funny a lot of Villa fans are happy to sell him but will bizarrely end up starting for a team higher up than us

Its like these scouts at Tottenham, Arsenal or Roma dont visit football forums 

If he's not going to sign a contract we'd be stupid not to sell him.

I'd like to keep him but he's not a defensive midfielder. It's not his fault he's being picked to play there I guess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If he's not going to sign a contract we'd be stupid not to sell him.

I'd like to keep him but he's not a defensive midfielder. It's not his fault he's being picked to play there I guess. 

I do agree with that and I think he will leave. People saying we can do better when he will be actually moving up the league just makes me laugh 

• Like 1

I just checked back on games this season where Doug or Marv played as nr 6. Was expecting Marv to have the better defensive numbers as most seem to prefer him in the holding position and Doug further up the pitch.

Doug has played 13 games at DM and Marv 9.

With Doug we’ve conceded 19 goals, 1.46 per game on average, five clean sheets.

With Marv we conceded 16 goals, 1.78 per game, one clean sheet.

(With Bissouma, we obviously wouldn’t have conceded at all)

• Haha 1

He is a 6 in a Pep Guardiola team but until we control the ball to that degree he is an 8, so for me he is s the guy if he goes to a dominant team, he is s gonna look the business at 6, if he goes to arsenal, he will end up an 8, we have at least 2 better 8s in our club and then your in the conversation is he a better 8 than Sanson, I'm not sure he is, chuck is ahead of him already as an 8

On 11/02/2022 at 19:08, Delphinho123 said:

Has he ever been able to recreate that brief form after project restart? And also, was his form THAT good in that period or was it a case of teams being sluggish after a long break? 

He’ll be gone in the Summer I’m afraid and quite frankly, if we can get anywhere near £30m for him with his contract situation, I think we’ve done well. He’s not a bad player but he just isn’t kicking on at all and I don’t think he has the pace and athleticism to play as an 8. 

More of a case of Deano going a lot more defensive during that period imo. There was lot more focus on us getting players behind the ball and less bombing forward. We had Konsa at right back for some of the games even. Was a lot harder for teams to get in behind and he came into his own having more of the opposition's play in front of him.

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

He is like half the rest of the team, just not good enough. 

I disagree - I think we've got a good side who didn't play well today.

But I don't know what Luiz brings to the table.  It isn't great tackling or great usage of the ball or taking the ball from defence and getting us up the pitch or even good set pieces.  What does he bring?

He's simply  not a defensive midfielder and in the format our manager is trying to play, we need one.

He was shocking today in every facet. Dead ball, passing, tackling - you name it. I've never seen a better advertisement for Bissouma.

Â