Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The best things he did today, were further up the pitch I thought, funnily enough.

So still not sure about " this role ".

Seems he was told to get forward more today.

He had the most tackles and interceptions for a Villa player in the game, as well as only the centre halves and Targett with more clearances. Made plenty of defensive contributions for me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He had the most tackles and interceptions for a Villa player in the game, as well as only the centre halves and Targett with more clearances. Made plenty of defensive contributions for me.

Fair play, maybe I just notice him more when he is higher up the pitch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Well I was only disagreeing with the word "frequently", which the % figure factually suggests otherwise and isn't a matter of opinion as he literally sacrificed possession fewer times than any other player that played a decent amount of minutes. As I said there were of course some (perhaps notable) exceptions and those are what you are alluding to.

Not saying you are wrong but be good to see these stats you keep referring to alongside everyone else 'who played a decent amount of minutes.'

I counted at least 5 times he passed the ball straight to the opposition in dangerous areas, i have feeling it was more than that though.

Again not trying to take anything away from the good things he did.

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

Not saying you are wrong but be good to see these stats you keep referring to alongside everyone else 'who played a decent amount of minutes.'

I counted at least 5 times he passed the ball straight to the opposition in dangerous areas, i have feeling it was more than that though.

Again not trying to take anything away from the good things he did.

See: PA% below (WhoScored), as I say me saying that is only because if one wanted to be pedantic they could point to Jack as having been less wasteful when it's not really a fair representation of the game. 

Screenshot_20210513-214509_Chrome.jpg

53 minutes ago, Indigo said:

See: PA% below (WhoScored), as I say me saying that is only because if one wanted to be pedantic they could point to Jack as having been less wasteful when it's not really a fair representation of the game. 

Screenshot_20210513-214509_Chrome.jpg

It's a nice table, doesn't change the fact he passed to the opposition in dangerous areas a number of times. Even if the majority of his passes were good.

A defender is harshly judged on the things they don't do well, Ming's often has an incredible game ruined by one costly mistake.

Midfielders are unlikely to make as many costly errors as defenders do (Pogba fouling fetish aside), but giving the ball away directly to the competition in fairly key areas will get punished by better teams than Everton.

Barkley gets dog abuse for giving the ball away, some of it he deserves. I love Doug but i refuse to turn a blind eye to his mistakes, on the flip side the thing I do love about him is recently he seems to be getting more involved all over the pitch and eventually I think his determination vs his ability will level out and he will stop making the errors, i think he is trying too hard at times.

Edited by VillanousOne

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

It's a nice table, doesn't change the fact he passed to the opposition in dangerous areas a number of times. Even if the majority of his passes were good.

A defender is harshly judged on the things they don't do well, Ming's often has an incredible game ruined by one costly mistake.

Midfielders are unlikely to make as many costly errors as defenders do (Pogba fouling fetish aside), but giving the ball away directly to the competition in fairly key areas will get punished by better teams than Everton.

Barkley gets dog abuse for giving the ball away, some of it he deserves. I love Doug but i refuse to turn a blind eye to his mistakes, on the flip side the thing I do love about him is recently he seems to be getting more involved all over the pitch and eventually I think his determination vs his ability will level out and he will stop making the errors, i think he is trying too hard at times.

As I said I don't disagree that he made errors tonight, as did the likes of McGinn and Mings whom along with Luiz seem to generally be regarded as our better outfield performers this evening. These things happen. Just making the point that on the whole he played very well - defensive contributions and all - and disagree specifically with the idea that these mistakes in possession were "frequent". That's all.

• Like 1

Yes, he sometimes gives the ball away, but I love the fact that it doesn't stop him from being brave.

He's always looking to move us up the field, through a turn or an unexpected pass.  He'll get better at knowing when to take risks, but the important thing is that he's willing to take them.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Yes, he sometimes gives the ball away, but I love the fact that it doesn't stop him from being brave.

He's always looking to move us up the field, through a turn or an unexpected pass.  He'll get better at knowing when to take risks, but the important thing is that he's willing to take them.

Strange you should say that, I think the complete opposite. I think he is far too timid in his passing, and the pass he plays is rarely the unexpected one. He seems happy to pass the ball back to Mings to boot up the pitch rather than play it forward himself.

Seems to be in the matrix doing bullet time that's what I feel he's doing when he's passing to team mates. Have seen slugs move faster than the ball does when it leaves his feet at times.

Everton fans were saying he's a ball magnet lol, he does see alot of the ball and it's what he does with it that counts. His passing and movement needs to be faster and sharper along with being more precise.

For me it's simple.

He played very well versus Everton generally, one of his better games in recent memory.

However, he literally passed to opposition at least 4 times in really dangerous positions, we were lucky not to get punished.

Also, he needs to stop these flicky high passes, 2 or 3 times he passed to Villa players in such a way as to make it uncontrollable.

So yeah, much better, but some really sloppy play also.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Very good against Everton.

Anyone see his skill when he looped the ball over a player closing him down?

Did something similar to get out of a tight spot vs Liverpool last season iirc.

Displayed great ability,  mixed with a few careless errors that always seemed to present Everton with a chance. I guess it's the nature of where he plays.

His decision making will improve,  but showing all the signs that made me excited when we bought him and looking forward to us keeping him and him showing further development. 

Good game last night. I do think he has what it takes to be a very good player, and will improve, as he is still very young.

Not sure he is good enough for City to come in for him to sell on at the moment.

I think their claim on him expires this summer, so hopefully he will remain with us.

16 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Very good against Everton.

Anyone see his skill when he looped the ball over a player closing him down?

He was doing that pretty regularly in that spell where he was excellent between the two covid breaks.  Hopefully a sign his confidence is coming back.  

4 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Good game last night. I do think he has what it takes to be a very good player, and will improve, as he is still very young.

Not sure he is good enough for City to come in for him to sell on at the moment.

I think their claim on him expires this summer, so hopefully he will remain with us.

Think this summer is the end of the clause.

People seem to forget he has just turned 23 - and younger than Callum O'Hare. He played a year in Spain in a team which got relegated, and then last year for us, when he stepped up project restart. He's still learning, and as we improve, I think he will.
In modern terms, he didn't cost us a lot (£15m?) and is probably worth double that now, or more.

I don't think he is a DCM, in the sense of what we need right now. And in the team which is too often on the back foot, we need someone better in the DCM role (i.e. a better Nakamba) and then Luiz can be a normal CM and I think he'll flourish.
I think in a top side he could be a DCM, as they are under the sort of pressure we are most games.

Â