Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

17 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I get the point about being taller making it easier to deal with high balls, but I can't remember any occasions where Luiz has had to and failed.

Very few teams play that way any more and our high line means long balls are likely to go straight to our CBs. Whether or not we should be playing with such a high line is another debate altogether. 

It's not only about high balls. For example, if he was a much bigger player, stronger, more physically imposing. He wouldn't have been struggling against Pogba and giving away that penalty. The reason he gave away that penalty was because he lost controll and tried to regain it, but messed it up. A stronger bigger DM doesn't fall into that trap. As someone that has played DM and gone from 60 - 89 kg I have some experience in the difference body mass makes when dispossessing players. It's a big thing. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

It's not only about high balls. For example, if he was a much bigger player, stronger, more physically imposing. He wouldn't have been struggling against Pogba and giving away that penalty. The reason he gave away that penalty was because he lost controll and tried to regain it, but messed it up. A stronger bigger DM doesn't fall into that trap. As someone that has played DM and gone from 60 - 89 kg I have some experience in the difference body mass makes when dispossessing players. It's a big thing. 

so basically, he needs to:

Hungry Mr Bean GIF

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Best outfield player today for me. Showed he has it in him to excel in this role.

It was very odd though, he would frequently win the ball well, then make a blind pass back to the opposition then win it back seconds later.

Him and Ross were having a competition on who could give the ball away the most cheaply.

Other than that he was actually pretty good, was everywhere.

If he could cut out the blind passes...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

It was very odd though, he would frequently win the ball well, then make a blind pass back to the opposition then win it back seconds later.

Him and Ross were having a competition on who could give the ball away the most cheaply.

Other than that he was actually pretty good, was everywhere.

If he could cut out the blind passes...

Thought the opposite myself personally, outside of the odd exception. He had the highest passing accuracy out of the entire team tonight (outside of Jack who only made a brief cameo) at over 92%, considering he played next to Barkley and McGinn playing how they did he was made to look even better in possession if anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Thought the opposite myself personally, outside of the odd exception. He had the highest passing accuracy out of the entire team tonight (outside of Jack who only made a brief cameo) at over 92%, considering he played next to Barkley and McGinn playing how they did he was made to look even better in possession if anything.

Only watched the last twenty .... Luiz would have got the MOTM based on that for me. Excellent passing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Apart 2 or 3 sloppy moments his passing and overall play was brilliant. In the last ten he made about 4 interceptions, anticipated ricochets and even made a clearing header.

• Like 2

Despite him giving away the ball dangerously on occasion I thought his generla play was very good. Also defended very well in the box. He's 23 and he's going to be very very good I think. 

He had a few stupid passes, but to be fair he at least got back to make amends. He picked up a lot of loose balls infront of our goal as well.

His calmness on the ball even close to our goal is an assest, although his inexperience at times means he can be a bit too casual...

44 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Thought Luiz was good, very good at times tonight. Also think McGinn had his best game in a while. Hard to overstate how much more difficult their jobs are with a big scouse mincer bimbling about  in front of them like an extra from Last of the Summer Wine. 

Reckon he’s going to do a Matt Targett on us next season and barely put a foot wrong. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Indigo said:

there is opinion and there is facts, are you genuinely trying to tell me he didn't repeatedly give the ball away? As i said on most occasions he gave the ball away then won it back and overall he played well.

the issue is against a better team some of those blind passes could have been punished, but everyone was sloppy today. I think McGinn had a really good game though.

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Best outfield player today for me. Showed he has it in him to excel in this role.

The best things he did today, were further up the pitch I thought, funnily enough.

So still not sure about " this role ".

Seems he was told to get forward more today.

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

there is opinion and there is facts, are you genuinely trying to tell me he didn't repeatedly give the ball away? As i said on most occasions he gave the ball away then won it back and overall he played well.

the issue is against a better team some of those blind passes could have been punished, but everyone was sloppy today. I think McGinn had a really good game though.

Well I was only disagreeing with the word "frequently", which the % figure factually suggests otherwise and isn't a matter of opinion as he literally sacrificed possession fewer times than any other player that played a decent amount of minutes. As I said there were of course some (perhaps notable) exceptions and those are what you are alluding to.

Â