Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think McGinn has been really good in the last 4/5 matches. 

Not for me. In fact the complete opposite.

I'd be inclined to get a bigger and better DM and push Luiz up to McGinns position and just bench SJM.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not for me. In fact the complete opposite.

I'd be inclined to get a bigger and better DM and push Luiz up to McGinns position and just bench SJM.

Definitely agree with you on the DM. 

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think McGinn has been really good in the last 4/5 matches. 

He really hasnt, he is headless and is passing is getting worse. His Hollywood passes are losing possession every game, he did the same pass about 5 times today and all went out of play

McGinn runs around for 10 minutes looking involved but then he gasses and after that he is doing nothing

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I know people doesn't like to hear it but we badly need height in midfield 

Crystal Palace had at most an average height midfield today

Edited by Zatman

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Crystal Palace had at most an average height midfield today

Palace weren't better than us in any area, other than the fact they wanted in more in the second half and we completely took our foot off the gas.

McGinn has showed glimpses of good form, just doesn't last for more than an hour. I didn't think Doug did much wrong today.

We do lack a physical midfielder who can win balls in the air and put in successful tackles.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Palace weren't better than us in any area, other than the fact they wanted in more in the second half and we completely took our foot off the gas.

McGinn has showed glimpses of good form, just doesn't last for more than an hour. I didn't think Doug did much wrong today.

We do lack a physical midfielder who can win balls in the air and put in successful tackles.

Yeah its just strange that somebody saying we need a physical presence in midfield after that game. Was hardly Stoke in the pomp in the middle today

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yeah its just strange that somebody saying we need a physical presence in midfield after that game. Was hardly Stoke in the pomp in the middle today

ha ha, Palace are as a soft as you like, they do have some dirty players but they weren't playing.

well Zaha is a whiney little slag who spends half the game trying to get players booked

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

They fouled us 23 times, which is quite a lot in one game. Perhaps most of them were on Watkins though. 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was that the team with the giant that is Glenn Whelan as their holding midfielder?

Looked much better further forward, didn't look rushed on the ball when around the box and picked the right pass more often than not. Hopefully a new contract in the summer for him and will push on playing further forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJay said:

Looked much better further forward, didn't look rushed on the ball when around the box and picked the right pass more often than not. Hopefully a new contract in the summer for him and will push on playing further forward.

I mean. He is Brazilian.

I have no idea why we ask him to defend

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Looked awesome futher up the pitch

Genuinely think this guy could turn into a 10

I've hammered you for saying this, but you may have a point on today's showing.

IMO he's still in that mould of Pirlo, Scholes, etc. who have the ability to look dangerous as 10s or attacking mids, but will gravitate to that deep-lying playmaker position with experience. That's where you get the most value from their passing range.

I think as he bulks out a bit and learns the dark arts, he will be a very good DM. But I can see a case for giving him more game time in a more advanced role. He was class today.

I'd have to see him start the game in the more forward position to be able to judge. The game was very stretched when he came on and there was loads of space to play in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJay said:

A few of us have been saying this for ages.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I'd have to see him start the game in the more forward position to be able to judge. The game was very stretched when he came on and there was loads of space to play in. 

Yeah I agree with this. He had acres of space to play in against a very loose and demoralised Spurs side on a big pitch. But he definitely knew what he was doing.

If you look at the career development of players like Pirlo, Scholes, Gundogan, Xavi, etc. you'll see the same arguments every time about whether they belong high up the pitch or in a deeper role. He's similar to them in being very complete, good feet, excellent long passing, decent shot, positionally sound, etc. With those kinds of players they'll always link up well wherever you play them.

Gundogan is probably the best example in today's game - Klopp used him as a DM at Dortmund, Pep used him there too, but now uses him as false 9, box to box, whatever.

Reality is he can probably play several positions well, and it will depend a lot on the individual match situation. I don't think saying "he's not a DM" is right.

• Like 1

Â