Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I read something that we may be looking into replacing the buy back clause with an official contract that ties him up properly. 

I'm no expert but fairly certain it doesn't work that way. The deal in place is with Man City not Luiz. If he signs a new contract the buy back clause would still exist. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If we want him to stay then we need to show him the love, and the money. I get the feeling he wouldn't cut and run mid season but given the chance to go play at Citeh I think he would definitely take it. 

He may want to wait and see if we finish above them and if Pep leaves.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

Looks like I’m about to enter unpopular opinion territory... I love Dougie, he’s a class player and had a good game. 

BUT

I thought he caused some problems when we were down to 10 men, and often does the same thing in games. He’ll press too keenly, doesn’t win the ball, and the opposition are running at us. It’s a slight thing, ultimately, but I noticed it today.

Still, he’s class so whatever. 

Fair critique. He can get caught ball watching at times and will lose sight of what is happening elsewhere. 

Also, he will commit to a ball he has no chance of winning leaving the defense caught out. Happened during one of the Liverpool goals can't remember which. 

Those are traits that improve with time spent on the pitch. By 24 he will be one of the best DMs on the planet that I am sure of. 

Also, we are still due our Luiz banger from 20+ yards out. I wonder who gets it this time? What if it's City? 😅😅

Anyone still think we need a more 'physical' DM, whatever that means? 

He's an absolute joy to watch, on the ball and off it. You play him every week in that position so he can continue his development, it would be nigh on impossible for us to improve upon him because there can't be many players in world football better than he at what he brings to the pivot right now, never mind another year down the line. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

City would actually be stupid to not buy him back for 30m or whatever it is. That is ridiculous value.

We may just need to pay them to avoid that. If we pay them another 15m then they would have received 30m profit for him themselves. They do need him though as fernandinho is too old now and Rodri is nothing special. 

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's an absolute joy to watch, on the ball and off it. You play him every week in that position so he can continue his development, it would be nigh on impossible for us to improve upon him because there can't be many players in world football better than he at what he brings to the pivot right now, never mind another year down the line. 

On the bolded, absolutely no. We have two players in the pivot now who demonstrate once and for all that you don't need some kind of violent basketball player/giraffe in this league.

• Like 2

I understand the pull of City, but does he play week in week out there yet? 

The kid has just broke into the Brazilian team so I'm sure he understands the value of playing every single week. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I did think that, but recent games he's proven to be so good that we don't need a more defensive DM. Attack won't always be the best form of defence but it seems to be working at the moment.

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Turning into a top top player. 
Loves the way he stuck up for Mings after his first yellow, he’s not afraid of doing the dirty things as well as using the ball so well. 

Was coming on to post this he absolutely gave it to Zaha.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I never did understand this. We have one of the best defensive midfielders in the league yet some people wanted him replaced. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Â