Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

19 minutes ago, hippo said:

And the probability of him saying to city "nah" ......

Best hope and still probable that city won't want him back just yet.

That probablity depends on what he think it the best move for him. A squad player in a top club or a certain starter in what we hope is a mid table club next season.

But I agree, the best chance lies in City not being a real option for him. 

So this can be anything. It can be just clickbait bullshit, it can be City leaking a rumour of taking him back so we pay them some extra to get rid of a clause they won't use anyway. Or they could actually want him back.

I can see this being them trying to get something for nothing. Or they could use it to secure a move for Jack. Who knows.

Losing Luiz and Grealish wouldn't be the best start of this transfer window though... 

Edited by Silent_Bob

Will be disappointed but always expected his option to be activated. Always thought they would do it to sell him to someone else though, similar to the Alderweireld thing between Southampton, Spurs and Athletico.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent_Bob said:

That probablity depends on what he think it the best move for him. A squad player in a top club or a certain starter in what we hope is a mid table club next season.

But I agree, the best chance lies in City not being a real option for him. 

So this can be anything. It can be just clickbait bullshit, it can be City leaking a rumour of taking him back so we pay them some extra to get rid of a clause they won't use anyway. Or they could actually want him back.

I can see this being them trying to get something for nothing. Or they could use it to secure a move for Jack. Who knows.

Losing Luiz and Grealish wouldn't be the best start of this transfer window though... 

I'm sure our new transfer committee has a plan.... probably ..involving a couple of Brentford players !

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Thanks. 

But what if the player changes his mind? This buyback clause lasts for a few years, a lot can change. I guess its a contract and he agreed to it, I'm just quite surprised. 

Always thought the player had some say in these when they were activated. 

i did too but based on my limited understanding is that he has a contractual obligation to return if they evoke the clause. all he could then do is submit a transfer request upon his return to city. i expect that's highly unlikely though. if he so desperately wanted to stay with us i'd imagine some discussions would start around re negotiating the contract with us paying city an additional fee.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:
27 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I could see Arsenal approaching City for him, so City buy him from them after City buy him from us. 

If this was the case I’d hope we’d offer city whatever profit they’d make to get rid of the clause. 

Once again more depressing news, if true. One of the few really good players we have and he will improve more next season, we already need to strengthen other areas of the team massively and are doing a poor job of getting that done, it will suck even more if we lose Luiz. Why do we have to constantly mess up and put these clauses into contracts, if it's possible can't we just pay the oil barons for the clause to be scrapped and be done with it. We need Luiz next season. 

City don’t really need him and he’ll sit on their bench most weeks, which makes me even more angry if this goes through.

• Like 1

This is just lazy 'journalism': citeh piss poor in CL, Pep under pressure, ergo they turn to Dougie because they know there's this release clause.

The logic is terrible. Arguably, if citeh would have excelled this season, they might have been more inclined to take Dougie in a developmental move. But now? Lol! Pep will be pushing his board to spend big and to satisfy fans' demands for improvement with big signings: Sancho, Panjic, de Jong. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I could see Arsenal approaching City for him, so City buy him from them after City buy him from us. 

That's our best hope....that city want him to sell him;  If its purely financial we can negotiate. 

However I feel they will want him in their own squad for next season.

19 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Once again more depressing news, if true. One of the few really good players we have and he will improve more next season, we already need to strengthen other areas of the team massively and are doing a poor job of getting that done, it will suck even more if we lose Luiz. Why do we have to constantly mess up and put these clauses into contracts, if it's possible can't we just pay the oil barons for the clause to be scrapped and be done with it. We need Luiz next season. 

City don’t really need him and he’ll sit on their bench most weeks, which makes me even more angry if this goes through.

Without the buyback I doubt he would be here at all. I don't know the inner workings of Man C - but I would think they would go for a more 'ready made' option than someone who had half a dozen good games after lockdown.

...If they do want him back it obviously a sign they view villa as a major threat next season🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

That's our best hope....that city want him to sell him;  If its purely financial we can negotiate. 

However I feel they will want him in their own squad for next season.

If city want to sell him then surely the player has some power back. 

20 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Why do we have to constantly mess up and put these clauses into contracts

Why would we have been the ones to put the clause in?  Presumably it was part of City's demands to get the deal done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If city want to sell him then surely the player has some power back. 

Indeed, as strange as it sounds what’s to stop Man C exercising the clause but then we compete with whatever other teams are interested in him to buy him?

If Luiz doesn’t want to leave then we stand a good chance of retaining him.

5 minutes ago, Ponky said:

It's not clear to me how he would get a work permit at City

Been seeing this on twitter too. I’m not even a UK resident, let alone an expert on work permits. What are the requirements to obtain one for a footballer?

Thought that the reason he was able to get one at Villa was because of the amount of first team starts he received. Would City be forced to guarantee him a certain number of starts in order to get a work permit for him?

Â