Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

28 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

Couldn’t agree with this any more. We qualify for the champions league and the first reaction of our fans is to clamour to sell Douglas Luiz as fast as humanly possible. And replace him with some unknown, imaginary midfielder who is just as good at half the price. Good luck with that! It’s utterly bizarre to me. I think people just copy what they hear other people saying. If we need to raise money that badly, sell the deadwood first. If that’s not enough, sell one or more of Cash, Digne, Moreno, Carlos, Diaby or Duran. Under no circumstances should we be selling our best players going into a champions league season, and Luiz is undoubtedly one of our best players in spite of some bad form. Martinez, Konsa, Kamara, Luiz and Watkins is our spine. I wouldn’t dream of selling any of them. And I highly doubt Emery and Monchi would entertain the idea of selling Luiz. We need to keep our quality players. I really can’t understand all of this. 

I agree with all of that. Except if he is sold (and I think he will be to Arsenal) it will.be because of PSR and not some insane rational that he's not actually good and can be replaced easily.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nick76 said:

WTF with this thread, it’s gone from that we only have to sell Luiz because we could get big money for him that we need to reuse to strengthen the squad but we don’t want to see to now the comments about him being replaceable, people don’t believe his stats and then to him not being that great.

Dougie is one of the first names on the sheet, the one that Emery looks to all the time throughout the match and constantly talks to him, the guy who hasn’t had a settled midfield with injuries around him constantly and him being moved out of position.  

The season has drained everybody but he’s put his effort in more than most with his 53 appearances so it’s no wonder he started fading well into the second half of the season.  He was phenomenal first half of the season, he’s not somebody we should be looking to sell unless a massive bid came in and that’s has to be close to Grealish’s figure to even entertain it but hopefully it’s not going to happen.  

As for easily replaceable, that’s just nonsense because if he was, then top clubs would be after those players and not scouting around Dougie given how much he would cost.  Nonsense!

You have to remember most fans (of all teams) base everything on the last month, six weeks tops. Watkins could be a one-season wonder by mid-September…

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Love Douglas, but are Kamara and Tielemans our best two midfielders?

Dougie is in the same bracket as them. Remember he was arguably our POTS up until Kamara's injury where his role changed and he had more defensive responsibility.

• Like 3

Just now, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

If I was any team looking to buy Luiz, I’d be looking to buy Kamara at the same time. The two are a unit: the one is weakened when the other isn’t there 

You joking or?

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Love Douglas, but are Kamara and Tielemans our best two midfielders?

Dougie is our best midfielder imo

• Like 1

Just now, Wainy316 said:

For Dougie to be prime Dougie he needs Kamara (or someone in that mould) next to him.

But that’s the same for most players who need support players to make them able to flourish.  Watkins can only be great if he gets supply or example.

26 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

If I was any team looking to buy Luiz, I’d be looking to buy Kamara at the same time. The two are a unit: the one is weakened when the other isn’t there 

Kamara isn't weakened by anything other than his own knees.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not for me, Kamara is a level above him IMO, and that's not a slight on Douglas, Kamara could be a key player for any team in the world IMO.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

But he can't do it when he doesn't have a good defensive player next to him?

Or that's what I've seen his bad form put down to.

If we have to sell someone for real money, he's #2 on the list behind Duran for me.

On 26/05/2024 at 01:18, juanpablosaliceband said:

Couldn’t agree with this any more. We qualify for the champions league and the first reaction of our fans is to clamour to sell Douglas Luiz as fast as humanly possible. And replace him with some unknown, imaginary midfielder who is just as good at half the price. Good luck with that! It’s utterly bizarre to me. I think people just copy what they hear other people saying. If we need to raise money that badly, sell the deadwood first. If that’s not enough, sell one or more of Cash, Digne, Moreno, Carlos, Diaby or Duran. Under no circumstances should we be selling our best players going into a champions league season, and Luiz is undoubtedly one of our best players in spite of some bad form. Martinez, Konsa, Kamara, Luiz and Watkins is our spine. I wouldn’t dream of selling any of them. And I highly doubt Emery and Monchi would entertain the idea of selling Luiz. We need to keep our quality players. I really can’t understand all of this. 

His 'bad form' is a result of the Kamara injury and having to play more as a DM as well. Ludicrous to suggest selling him, he is absolutely key. Like Emi, Watkins etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Not for me, Kamara is a level above him IMO, and that's not a slight on Douglas, Kamara could be a key player for any team in the world IMO.

57 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But he can't do it when he doesn't have a good defensive player next to him?

Or that's what I've seen his bad form put down to.

If we have to sell someone for real money, he's #2 on the list behind Duran for me.

Dougie is the best midfielder imo and yes he needs a quality DM next to him to allow him to flourish.  His bad form was also because he was moved positions, the players around him kept changing and he was running on fumes at the end.  Many great players need support players to allow them to do what they do.  I’d sell Duran, Carlos, fringe players, Digne or Moreno and a number others before I’d sell Luiz.  Luiz is Emery’s go to man, he defines how we play.  Kamara is the DM we need and unbelievable quality as well.  

Will people stop trying to sell him.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, striker said:

You don’t want to hold onto a player whose form is dictated by who plays with him.

It's called a team, you build a team that works, this is how football works. 

Secondly I’ve watched Luiz have some really rank games even when Kamara has played.

Every player has bad games. 

Thirdly you get one decent game in 5-6 from him.

This is flagrant bulls**t. Nothing more to say. 

He doesn’t dominate games,

City at Villa Park, made their midfield look like Rotherham. A litany of other dominating performances this past season. 

he isn’t consistently physical

Physical enough to be consistently played out of position as a 6 for a premier league side for 4 years. 

or creative enough

He's just returned a season of 10 goals and 10 assists with half of that coming from defensive midfield. 

and is basically a sideways player without any discernible pace.

When he's played further up the pitch he's anything but a sideways player. He's also our best passer. Pace is irrelevant but I'd not describe him as slow. 

Lastly if Arsenal bid anything north of 30m I’d sell and replace him with Gallagher! Much more consistent and affective player!

I don't need to say anything other than the fact the bold is absolutely, totally mental. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, striker said:

You don’t want to hold onto a player whose form is dictated by who plays with him.

Secondly I’ve watched Luiz have some really rank games even when Kamara has played.

Thirdly you get one decent game in 5-6 from him. He doesn’t dominate games, he isn’t consistently physical or creative enough and is basically a sideways player without any discernible pace.

Lastly if Arsenal bid anything north of 30m I’d sell and replace him with Gallagher! Much more consistent and affective player!

Come on £30 million for Luiz, you ate having a laugh. He's got to be worth upwards of £70 million.

• Like 2

Â