Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

I don’t see what has changed with him. Will not be one of the highest earners and the fee will not be one of their highest, unless that single cap was enough to get the permit.

that cap was given at a time where he didn’t deserve it. If he gets a permit because of it it stinks of city asking for him to be capped. 

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Course he can.  We have to accept the offer but he doesn’t have to accept the contract.

i used to think this too then i looked into it...99.9% of the time with buy back clauses it's also written into the deal that he's forced to accept the move back

anyone complaining about this needs to give their head a wobble anyway. we wouldn't have got him in the first place had it not been for that clause and we'd probably have gone down, based on how he carried the team post lockdown.

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

i used to think this too then i looked into it...99.9% of the time with buy back clauses it's also written into the deal that he's forced to accept the move back

You can’t force somebody to work for an employer

This report came from Brazilian site Globo Esporte, which on inspection just looks like a Brazilian version of our very own clickbait sources. 

The translation is below, it doesn’t say much but does mention the 2.25% sell on that Vasco would get. Which I guess explains why they’ve written it, to hook some Vasco fans.

Link

After elimination in the Champions, Manchester City has a buyback of Douglas Luiz on the agenda
Volante excelled at Aston Villa last season. There is a clause that provides for return to Citizens by paying £ 25 million

Eliminated from the Champions League after the defeat by Lyon, Manchester City will start planning the next season this week. One of the guidelines is the buyback of midfielder Douglas Luiz, from Aston Villa.

The English club is moving to exercise the clause that allows it to hire the player again for a value of about 25 million pounds (approximately R $ 177 million at the current price).
Douglas leaves for Birmingham on Monday. At first, he is scheduled to perform at Aston Villa on Wednesday.
Douglas was bought by City in 2017 for 11 million pounds, after standing out at Vasco, where it was revealed. Without obtaining a work visa to work in the United Kingdom, he was loaned for two seasons to Girona, from Spain. Coach Pep Guardiola is one of the player's enthusiasts.

In the 2019/2020 season, City sold Douglas to Aston Villa for £ 15 million. The midfielder, after a shy start, became one of the highlights of the team in the resumption of football after the stoppage by the coronavirus pandemic and helped the Villains to remain in the first division of the English Championship. In all, there were 42 games and three goals scored.

In the last few months, Douglas Luiz finally got a two-year work visa for England - to work for Villa, he had obtained a provisional license. The player passed an English exam in late June.
The formation club of Douglas Luiz, Vasco is entitled to 2.25% of the transfer amount - about 562.5 thousand pounds, or R $ 3.9 million at the current price. This is because FIFA has created a new rule of the solidarity mechanism that allows forming clubs to be rewarded in case of transfers between teams from the same country, provided the player is of another nationality

Edited by It's Your Round

14 minutes ago, Wes said:

Last week it was reported it was not in their plans to activate their clause this year. Now suddenly they are?

I think there may be some lost in translation going on here. I think it is merely stating there is a clause and that Manchester City could activate it. The main point of the article seems to be about of the benefit of a sell on clause to Douglas Luiz's previous clubs.

We will just have to wait and see.... And hope.

They've had another CL Guardiola over-analyzing everything f*** up since this time last week so they might have altered their planning. If Doug is the answer to their problems is another quesetion but they might be exploring all options after the result at the weekend.

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Course he can.  We have to accept the offer but he doesn’t have to accept the contract.

Unfortunately that's not how a buy back works. He has no choice if its activated. 

What's to stop us offering him a shed load of money to ignore them, that would render the clause pointless.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

You can’t force somebody to work for an employer

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/contract-law/item/football-transfers-buy-back-clauses-explained?category_id=117

Should a buy-back provision be triggered, there is usually a contractual obligation to enforce the contract and transfer the player accordingly.

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is there a way to buy this clause out of the contract?

If it costs £10m, i'd say it's worth it

Any other club could be tempted with a certain level of cash, unfortunately not them.

Not sure it'll be happening too soon reading that Brazilian report. It's more just saying the clause is there.

I'd be more than happy to buy them out of that for £10-20m if they'd accept.

If Doug truly has shook off all the rough bits of his game already he's well worth £35m IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I didn't realise that. 

How can they get away with that though? That's an agreement between the clubs not the player.

don't think it's about 'getting away' with anything. it was a deal that benefited all parties. if luiz wanted to leave city permanently, he wouldn't have signed for us with this clause in place and i imagine his contract includes mention of said buy back, probably including figures etc of wages when he returns to city

Edited by tomav84
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Nigel said:

He cant

He can, unless he has signed a contract with City before coming here for this eventuality.

He has a £25m buy out clause exclusive to City. But we can only guarantee that their offer will be accepted. Not that he wants to join them.

He has had about a dozen good games for us, admittedly he looked a very good player by the time the season ended. Good enough for Man city? I would be suprised.

Another season developing with us is probably what will happen.

• Like 1

Â