Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, nnock1984 said:

Judging by the amount of people saying we need a new first choice left back, Targett isn’t rated on here.

Personally I’m happy with him as a starter, good attacking left back! Bigger problems elsewhere! 

I think we could ideally do with a young full back to challenge him and replace Taylor. My fear in that position isn't Targett - but with so many games compressed this season we have to expect injuries so we need two good players for each role. 

Ideal would be someone to cover both LB and RB. I love Elmo but not sure I'd want him playing 10 games on the bounce either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I think we could ideally do with a young full back to challenge him and replace Taylor. My fear in that position isn't Targett - but with so many games compressed this season we have to expect injuries so we need two good players for each role. 

Ideal would be someone to cover both LB and RB. I love Elmo but not sure I'd want him playing 10 games on the bounce either.

Could be wrong here, but I think Max Aarons can cover both sides? 

Otherwise, you are looking at Rico Henry or Antonee Robinson to challenge Targett. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

The club need to work with Targett to improve his physical conditioning, I think there’s plenty of room for improvement with his physique. 

Needs to get in the gym like Grealish did. Targett is a fine footballer, he’s such a threat going forward and fine defensively. He will only get better in my opinion. 

44 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Could be wrong here, but I think Max Aarons can cover both sides? 

Otherwise, you are looking at Rico Henry or Antonee Robinson to challenge Targett. 

Some good suggestions here, or that Scottish guy we’re linked with. Max Aaron’s for me would be ideal as starting RB with the ability to play LB of required. 

2 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Judging by the amount of people saying we need a new first choice left back, Targett isn’t rated on here.

Personally I’m happy with him as a starter, good attacking left back! Bigger problems elsewhere! 

Did you see how many goals we conceded last year? 

Something is badly wrong with our defence.  I know the "it starts in midfield" argument but nevertheless there is something wrong at the back.  Personally I don't think our fullbacks are good enough and will need replacing if we are to move upwards.  

3 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Nah! Not really! I rate his technique and touch, and decent left foot. But that's all.

Lacks pace and agility. For someone with his technique doesn't really cross much or get assists. Every tricky winger he faces at the very least makes him look vulnerable.  Weak in one on one situations defensively and offensively.

Personally I want pace across the back four. All strong in one on ones defensively. Currently can only say that about Mings, Hause and maybe Konsa.

Edited by Philosopher

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Something is badly wrong with our defence.  I know the "it starts in midfield" argument but nevertheless there is something wrong at the back.  Personally I don't think our fullbacks are good enough and will need replacing if we are to move upwards.  

I think both targett and Fred are decent enough for mid table next season.

One of the biggest factors in how a full back plays is down to midfield. You are bottom corner of your team so passing becomes far more limited. If the supporting midfielder doesn't create a passing option and there is a high press on it limits your options to either trying to beat their midfielder with skill or pace and risk losing the ball and opening up that side of the pitch, passing it to the keeper when under a press or hitting it long hoping the forward can sprint on to it.

We lacked team movement and even when we had that, the midfielder often lacked the application to keep the ball or move it forwards.

So while both full backs made mistakes and often looked over run, there are more reasons than they are not good enough.

Are they good enough for top 8 ? I'm not sure they are, this season will be the one to decide if they can improve with better more mobile team mates.

Targett still needs cover though due to the amount of knocks he picks up and a condensed season.

41 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Nah! Not really! I rate his technique and touch, and decent left foot. But that's all.

Lacks pace and agility. For someone with his technique doesn't really cross much or get assists. Every tricky winger he faces at the very least makes him look vulnerable.  Weak in one on one situations defensively and offensively.

Personally I want pace across the back four. All strong in one on ones defensively. Currently can only say that about Mings, Hause and maybe Konsa.

To say he doesn't really cross isn't true at all, and if we had better finishers he would have plenty more assists. Despite his injuries and such this season, he was ranked something like 4th in the league for defenders creating goal scoring opportunities - only behind the likes of TAA, Robertson and Azpi. If there is one thing he is good at, it's creating chances, we just can't finish them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

To say he doesn't really cross isn't true at all, and if we had better finishers he would have plenty more assists. Despite his injuries and such this season, he was ranked something like 4th in the league for defenders creating goal scoring opportunities - only behind the likes of TAA, Robertson and Azpi. If there is one thing he is good at, it's creating chances, we just can't finish them. 

I'd like to see those stats. I looked but couldn't find them. Also this in my opinion needs to be the case otherwise there is no case for him being I  the starting line up.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'd like to see those stats. I looked but couldn't find them. Also this in my opinion needs to be the case otherwise there is no case for him being I  the starting line up.

Created 8 big chances. Azpi had 8 Robertson had 14, TAA had 18. Grealish and Hourihane also created 8 big chances each.

I think he is overrated though. Having grealish and hourihane play g next to him really helped him this season compared to guilbert. It made it a lot easier to get crosses in because everyone was focused on grealish and hourihane ha sgood movement in and around the box. 

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not even close to being a priority position to be replaced. Maybe even dead last in the entire 11

I'd want competition and a different dimension to him though.

Which is why I like the links for Hickey.

I'm also slightly worried about his injury record?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think the issue last season was we didn't have a stable defence or even a starting 11 until near the end. 

Mings was our only defensive player to start more than 30 league games and only him and Jack started 30 games. Sheffield United had 7 players including all back 5 and goalkeeper

In order to significantly improve on our full backs we would have to either find a cheapish young prospect from a lower league/abroad and hope he adapts quickly and becomes a revelation, or we would need to throw a lot of money at one. 

I'm absolutely fine with a cheap gamble on a promising underdog. I'm absolutely against us spending 15-20 million on a fullback which would only marginally improve us. 

I wouldn't mind a cheapish been there-done that fullback to add competition and experience as an upgrade on Neil Taylor, that would be welcome 

Â