Matt Targett

villan-scott

31 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

its sell to buy

Don't know if you were joking but I hope so. I don't understand why people are so enamoured with him. 

Not dreadful but if we can get £25m as some are suggesting I would snap their hand off and go spend £35m on a better player who then only costs us £10m, or get 2 x players as good and still have £5m in our back pocket. 

Depends on how you rate him I guess but our defence was bloody awful last year and he was part of it. 

If Leicester want him, I would be surprised if they were prepared to offer much more than £15m for him. If we would be looking to replace him with say Rico Henry we'd need to find a few million, as Brentford would want £20m minimum, for him from us! 😉 Its in "The Star" too...

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just wtf ...

Nobody believed in 2010 when close to the season's start we hadn't signed a single player ......the similarities between then and now are there.....

Really hope I'm wrong.......but the signs are worrying me.

Reckon this is lazy journalism, but would be disappointed if we sell anyone who joined in the last 12 months.

I think Targett is ok and settled and that’s important - let our scouted investment mature. We look better with him in the side than without. He was part of a “team” that conceded a lot. That was reversed post lockdown as the team settled, defended as a team and prevented chances - they can do it. Our poor defensive approach made them all look poor defensively last year.

Targett has quick, clever feet, puts in a good cross, gets into good Offensive positions and scores goals. I reckon he could play for England in time. My main criticism is that he doesn’t run through walls for the team and was quick to be injured off. Definitely no Roy Keane.

55 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

If its real, bids for our players are a good thing, shows we are doing something right. We dont have to accept. 

Of course - thats a positive upside and we decide to sell at a healthy profit - provided the money is wisely re invested - not a problem. The problem starts if we have to sell players to fund bringing players in.

I been following Villa for close on 50 years - in that time, without exception that I can recall,a mystifying lack of transfer activity  has always later transpired to be the cash wasn't available. Of course there is a long way to go until the window closes - but the alarm bells are starting to ring for me.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Of course - thats a positive upside and we decide to sell at a healthy profit - provided the money is wisely re invested - not a problem. The problem starts if we have to sell players to fund bringing players in.

I been following Villa for close on 50 years - in that time, without exception that I can recall,a mystifying lack of transfer activity  has always later transpired to be the cash wasn't available. Of course there is a long way to go until the window closes - but the alarm bells are starting to ring for me.

Transfer dealings are slow across the board. Just relax. Plenty of time. Money is there.

I don't understand why some of our fans are happy for us to let Targett go for 25m, and at the same time happy for us to sign championship players for the same price?

Surely a good solid season in the premier league makes him a more valuable asset than someone who's had a decent season in the championship?

Targett was one of our best players last season, will only be better this season and still relatively young. I've also heard a few pundits saying he should have been in the England squad.

Why do we never rate our own players or always look for flaws in them?

• Like 1

The way some people are talking about this "unusual" lack of transfers, it's as if they're not aware that the world has taken a violent left turn earlier in the year and we're in the midst of a worldwide pandemic that has affected how everything works. That might explain the lack of movement in this case. 

I'd be happy with Targett staying and I do have a soft spot for him but he's missing a few key attributes that can't be coached for a fullback. I'd prefer as much of the squad staying put and not having to replace another first team position, but if this rumour did have legs and we could make a profit I'd be very tempted to make that happen. 

30 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I don't understand why some of our fans are happy for us to let Targett go for 25m, and at the same time happy for us to sign championship players for the same price?

Surely a good solid season in the premier league makes him a more valuable asset than someone who's had a decent season in the championship?

Targett was one of our best players last season, will only be better this season and still relatively young. I've also heard a few pundits saying he should have been in the England squad.

Why do we never rate our own players or always look for flaws in them?

If we could make a significant profit on him then I don’t see why we wouldn’t let him go he’s not a stand out player and say 25m would buy a replacement at least as good.

Â