Matt Targett

villan-scott

Just now, TRO said:

I don't think it should have been but is was clumsy and untidy....that can attract yellows, from over zealous refs

I think the assistant referee gave it, she's usually spot on too Sian Massey. Got that wrong though. 

Agree though, it wasn't the prettiest tackle ever. Just very frustrating because he clearly won the ball and made us another set piece to defend.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Examples include Liverpool (3 times), Chelsea both games, United (2-2 draw). And plenty more but I can't think of from the top of my head. 

I'm not picking on the player.....just picking out our vulnerabilties.

I mentioned it during the match thread, but he did get a bit better, towards the end.

I know full backs can't cut out every cross, but if everyone goes in,the winger gets cocky and the threat gets worse, stand off and they run at you, the odd clatter and they think twice........we have to stop players, in instances like that.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I mentioned it during the match thread, but he did get a bit better, towards the end.

I know full backs can't cut out every cross, but if everyone goes in,the winger gets cocky and the threat gets worse, stand off and they run at you, the odd clatter and they think twice........we have to stop players, in instances like that.

I like targett but think TRO has a point here. I remember a few times, particularly second half, where guilbert done really well to stop a cross, close the attacker down so he had to play backwards or stop the attacker getting to the byline.

They didn't look a threat from the left but did from the right. Something so simple but could cost us hugely. I played fullback myself for a while, at a very low level, but number 1 rule was stop the cross. Its basic at the lowest levels so should be engrained into a prem league player. Not 100% possible all the time but certainly more than he achieves it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I like targett but think TRO has a point here. I remember a few times, particularly second half, where guilbert done really well to stop a cross, close the attacker down so he had to play backwards or stop the attacker getting to the byline.

They didn't look a threat from the left but did from the right. Something so simple but could cost us hugely. I played fullback myself for a while, at a very low level, but number 1 rule was stop the cross. Its basic at the lowest levels so should be engrained into a prem league player. Not 100% possible all the time but certainly more than he achieves it.

Haha......Takes me back to my school team, where we won the league for the first time in 33 years.

I played right back.....my old school master used to say to me " I don't want anything fancy, you are not Bobby Charlton".....Just stop the crosses coming in, stop your winger......nothing more, just that......blimey, I would only miss one and I thought, I had a bad game....yeah I was quite decent in that role.

your post brings it all back.

Football has got highly sophisticated, but some of the principles will always remain, it's the basics we all miss at times.....I have to remind myself at times, with all going on and the fancy media references.....get the basics right and it can take us a long way.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

bubble boy lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

from next season all players should have these, would make the game much more interesting......

"think you're twinkle toes ay?"........BOOSH!

goalkeeping would be a sport in itself....might even make Nyland look good.....

Edited by MaVilla

8 hours ago, Spoony said:

One thing I do like about Targett is he seems proud to play for the villa. In fact the team that went down last time was probably technically better than this one but it’s that actual desire to win and succeed with the club that has made all the difference this time round. 

I take your point, but I'd have to disagree.  The Bacuna Richards Lescott Cissokho back line has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

I take your point, but I'd have to disagree.  The Bacuna Richards Lescott Cissokho back line has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. 

Player for player though (not just the back line) that squad probably had more quality. Most for our squad are players with no PL experience from random, poor quality leagues. 

On 24/07/2020 at 09:00, PaddytheVillan said:

This back line makes Bacuna look good 😂

To be fair, he had good moments, scored some good goals, put in some good crosses, he gets more hate than he deserves. By definitely not champions league standard 😂

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think I must be the only one who thinks he is ok.

I think he’s decent and will improve with a settled midfield ahead of him. He certainly has potential to improve still.

I’d be ok if we signed another LB though to challenge him rather than Taylor but it’s not a priority this transfer window. 

• Like 1

Just now, Condimentalist said:

Targett is OK IMO. Ideally I'd like us to replace Taylor and give him some competition. 

I haven't decided about Guilbert on the other side yet but in a perfect world some new competition for both would be great. 

Totally agree with this. Both have shown enough to  be considered first choice but competition is required. Targett in particular has looked very impressive at times and he improved over the entire season.

8 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Judging by the amount of people saying we need a new first choice left back, Targett isn’t rated on here.

Personally I’m happy with him as a starter, good attacking left back! Bigger problems elsewhere! 

I really like him. He's at home at this level. He's played some really nice stuff.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2020 at 08:00, PaddytheVillan said:

It was more of a squiggle than a line

Â