Matt Targett

villan-scott

28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How many did El Ghazi miss

Overall, not just in the video, not as many as people think he does. The worst finisher in our club is actually Wesley so far based on differences between xG and actual goals scored in the box.

• Like 1

is there a case for playing him left midfield if a change of system came about, hes good on the ball and has a good cross.........suppose you would want 2 up top who are good in the air in that case??????

35 minutes ago, Villa94 said:

is there a case for playing him left midfield if a change of system came about, hes good on the ball and has a good cross.........suppose you would want 2 up top who are good in the air in that case??????

Not sure about left midfield, but he would be a good left wing back if we ever went permanently to a back 3, which we probably won't tbh.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Overall, not just in the video, not as many as people think he does. The worst finisher in our club is actually Wesley so far based on differences between xG and actual goals scored in the box.

I do think Wesley is the worst finisher at the club, he has scored at premier level, we have players who have not.

14 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The worst finisher in our club is actually Wesley so far based on differences between xG and actual goals scored in the box.

But El Ghazi is worse based on percentages.

See why stats aren't perfect? Particularly when you 'quote' them without bothering to post the actual data.

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

But El Ghazi is worse based on percentages.

See why stats aren't perfect? Particularly when you 'quote' them without bothering to post the actual data.

first off, no he isn't. Wesley's difference between xG and actual goals scroed over actual goals scored is still higher than El Ghazi's. Which means by this metric, he is a worse finisher. 

Secondly I don't think using percentages over absolute values is wise in this case. Mostly because it makes comparison between players with 0 goals impossible. You can't divide by 0 and many of our players have not scored yet.

Lastly, I get all my stats for xG stuff from understat. I didn't link them because I'm on my phone but if you want to check it yourself, sure.

its a meaningless stat as there are many variables that are unable to be considered. A one-on-one miss is not the same as a speculative 25 yard hit. Rounding the keeper and hitting the post is not the same as beating three players and having a defender lunging in to block a shot etc etc etc. Sometimes you can just use your eyes. I don't think El Ghazi has a bad shot on him but he isn't a finisher. 

• Like 1

Targett has talent but as mentioned on here so many times is soft and lacks bottle.  You realy need your backs to be able to dig in and even if being given a run around hang in there,

On 14/07/2020 at 01:01, Hornso said:

They were big misses too. Except the Palace clip every other game we were drawing or one down. 

El Ghazi in his defence was only player getting into the box but some poor misses alright

Targett has to go down as the biggest waste of money of this season for me. Everton offered no threat at all and his lack of basic defensive ability costs us two massive points.

How much did we pay for him again as he’s not a drastic improvement on Neil Taylor? 

Given our current problems, Targett should have been playing higher up the pitch with Taylor as the LB - not ideal but at least Taylor is able to defend and Targett can deliver a half decent cross unlike our other two main wingers.

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Matt Targett is the least of our problems and is far better than Neil Taylor. Get a grip man. 

We paid £15m for Matt Targett. If that’s not a sign of the wasted money over the summer then I don’t know what is.

Defensively I think he’s worse than Taylor to be honest. Bottles challenges regularly and gets caught ball watching far too much.At £15m I’d be expecting a lot more than what we’re seeing.

As for him being the least of our problems I’d argue he was the biggest of our many problems today. If he doesn’t make the mistake that gives Walcott a free header we wouldn’t have faced a shot on target all match. 

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah targett isnt a bad left nack at all but was a really poor defensive performance for the goal. I mwna your lettjng bloody walcott wim a header over you???

He didn’t win the header over him. Targett got absolutely nowhere near him to even challenge him.

If Walcott is being challenged at all for that header he doesn’t score it. Targett got caught ball watching (not for the first time this season) and it’s cost us big time. 

31 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

We paid £15m for Matt Targett. If that’s not a sign of the wasted money over the summer then I don’t know what is.

Defensively I think he’s worse than Taylor to be honest. Bottles challenges regularly and gets caught ball watching far too much.At £15m I’d be expecting a lot more than what we’re seeing.

As for him being the least of our problems I’d argue he was the biggest of our many problems today. If he doesn’t make the mistake that gives Walcott a free header we wouldn’t have faced a shot on target all match. 

I think it was a reported £11m fee we paid for him, I think he’s outstanding, when he links up with Grealish, it’s a joy to watch, we have scored quite a few goals courtesy of the Targett-Grealish combination 

• Like 2

Â