Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Anyone would think we were talking about Bayern Munich. They are a Europa League level side at best, who pulled off a probably-never-to-be-repeated miracle once. They've just sold their starting left back, they will need to get another one from somewhere, and I don't think it's absurd to imagine Targett might be in the conversation.

Harsh but fair

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I find this opinion bizarre. 

You’d want to sell our first choice left back meaning we’d have to buy another one, in a window where it doesn’t appear we’ll be doing MUCH business for a 10% profit?

I don’t get it. Even if you don’t rate him I don’t get that. 

each to their own 

Bizarre?

What would be bizarre is if he's still our first choice left back at the start of the season. Still there as back up with the potential to take the spot at some point would be ok, but he's not a currently anything like a £16m left back or a £14.5m left back for that matter. Have you forgotten that we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth, players such as Heaton when fit, Mings, Grealish, McGinn, and eventually Luiz and Konsa certainly not being the problem so maybe the likes of Targett were? Just a thought.You're also assuming that we have to go out and spend way more to improve, since when has transfer fee been a guarantee of standard, we could bring in a free transfer that performs better. How much did we pay for McGinn again, or if you want a full back comparison Mark Delaney some years back admittedly. I've got no problem if as expected he stays put and fights for his place but you talk as though he's actually a quality player who we can't do without.

Hopefully the scouting will improve so that if we sign a £14-15m full back again, we do get quality, or even better pull someone in for half that who's better, it's not impossible.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, ChinlessWonder said:

I'm not a huge fan. If they give us 10% more than we paud for him i'd snap their hand off, i think we over paid in the first place. I think it's possible he could improve but i'm not confident enough to want to see us turn that down. Can't honestly see anyone going for him at the moment anyway though.

Who would you buy to replace him with that £15.4m?

I like Targett, he's a modern day fullback and I can see why Leicester may be interested, can't see him going anywhere unless they start throwing silly money at us though, we've enough to do without replacing him. 

He improved as the season wore on and hopefully that continues next season.

I'd sell him if a decent offer came in. 
I'd just go and sign either Henry or Lewis with the money instead.

Targett is good going forward but very average defensively. He's very slow and get's caught out of position so often. Countless times this season the opposition winger has received the ball in acres of space. 

He's ok. I wouldnt sell him for less than 25m. But I'd sure be tempted in and around that price. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Targett is good going forward but very average defensively. He's very slow and get's caught out of position so often. Countless times this season the opposition winger has received the ball in acres of space. 

He's ok. I wouldnt sell him for less than 25m. But I'd sure be tempted in and around that price. 

I agree, Most oppositions targeted (pun intended) his flanks. more often than not, found the space to get a good chance against us.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Targett is good going forward but very average defensively. He's very slow and get's caught out of position so often. Countless times this season the opposition winger has received the ball in acres of space

I've read this from a few posters, and I don't particularly disagree with it, but the same happens when Taylor plays. I feel like for whatever reason we preferred our fullbacks to tuck in close to the centre halves and have the wingers deal with stopping the crosses, it was just a bit more pronounced on that left hand side because of Grealish needing to stay as high up the pitch as possible. Just an observation.

• Like 1

What's the point in selling someone who is fully-integrated with the squad two weeks before the season starts?

I just don't get it, he's good enough for us at the moment and we need to strengthen in other areas, notably attacking positions.

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I agree, Most oppositions targeted (pun intended) his flanks. more often than not, found the space to get a good chance against us.

Teams targeted both of our flanks... that's because of the system we played pre lockdown, which left us exposed in those areas when pushing forwards on the overlap.

On 26/08/2020 at 20:52, Zatman said:

Chilwell 50 million Targett 14 mllion

Who got ripped off 🙄

The point is (hopefully) if Leicester are interested in Targett let’s fleece them for £20m.

But let’s get Rico Henry in first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinlessWonder said:

Bizarre?

What would be bizarre is if he's still our first choice left back at the start of the season. Still there as back up with the potential to take the spot at some point would be ok, but he's not a currently anything like a £16m left back or a £14.5m left back for that matter. Have you forgotten that we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth, players such as Heaton when fit, Mings, Grealish, McGinn, and eventually Luiz and Konsa certainly not being the problem so maybe the likes of Targett were? Just a thought.You're also assuming that we have to go out and spend way more to improve, since when has transfer fee been a guarantee of standard, we could bring in a free transfer that performs better. How much did we pay for McGinn again, or if you want a full back comparison Mark Delaney some years back admittedly. I've got no problem if as expected he stays put and fights for his place but you talk as though he's actually a quality player who we can't do without.

Hopefully the scouting will improve so that if we sign a £14-15m full back again, we do get quality, or even better pull someone in for half that who's better, it's not impossible.

Bizarre

1 hour ago, ChinlessWonder said:

Bizarre?

you must really dislike him.

I’m not surprised Leicester City want him, I think he’s excellent, great buy by Smith. He’ll play for England soon I think. His link up play with Grealish is fantastic, it’s our one and only tactic. He’s a bit suspect when he comes up against blistering pace like against Wolves when he faces Adama Traore, he just needed to stand off him a bit, he kept diving in when we came up against them last season. He’s still a young full back but he has quite a lot of Premier League experience for someone of his age. I think he’ll just get better and better, hopefully we can hold on to him

38 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I've read this from a few posters, and I don't particularly disagree with it, but the same happens when Taylor plays. I feel like for whatever reason we preferred our fullbacks to tuck in close to the centre halves and have the wingers deal with stopping the crosses, it was just a bit more pronounced on that left hand side because of Grealish needing to stay as high up the pitch as possible. Just an observation.

This is a textbook characteristic of a low block. If the full backs drop in close to the centre backs, it forces the opposition to play wide where they are statistically less likely to cause problems.

This does however result in wingers seemingly being left with a lot of space.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Because someone wants one of our players?

The Simpsons GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I prefer the good old days when all our players were shite. Could sleep easy then knowing the next 4 years of their contact were mapped out. No surprises. No sleepless nights.

• Haha 1

This whole 'we have loads of space on the left' thing baffles me.

He tucks in narrow almost every time, all the time. And Smith isn't subbing me or yelling at him so it's clearly a tactical thing.

EDIT: I was beaten to it above :) 

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â