Matt Targett

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Watch it back.....arsenals crosses was raining in, from his side, he just stood off and turned his head......don't take my word, watch it back.

Reading this I genuinely don't think you understand how back 4s stay compact. It happened both sides—you obviously try to stop the crosses, but good players get crosses in—but you can't leave massive gaps between the back 4, so they go side to side as a unit. When they switch to the other side, it's inevitable there's a gap.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Reading this I genuinely don't think you understand how back 4s stay compact. It happened both sides—you obviously try to stop the crosses, but good players get crosses in—but you can't leave massive gaps between the back 4, so they go side to side as a unit. When they switch to the other side, it's inevitable there's a gap.

Good full backs stop crosses too, its essential......when that ball comes in the middle, it becomes a lottery...... you cannot expect the centre backs to keep defending so many crosses, many more must be cut out at source.

If I don't understand how back 4's work after watching the game for 60 years....I think i must have wasted a lot of season ticket money.....the gaps you talk about is covered by midfielders in such circumstances......but only one at any given time has to close down the crosser.

He was piss poor tonight in closing his man down ....he did eventually go on both knees to stop the ball and conceded a free kick, but at least, he had a go, despite it being clumsy.

for me.....too many came in unnecessarily.

but thankfully, it ended well.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, momo said:

He should be deployed as a winger next season.

Not sure that would work, I like my wingers to run at defenders and look like they could beat them. 

Targett doesn't have those attributes but is a good passer and crisser of the ball, works better as a full back or wingback

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WooJung said:

Not sure that would work, I like my wingers to run at defenders and look like they could beat them. 

Targett doesn't have those attributes but is a good passer and crisser of the ball, works better as a full back or wingback

Agree. I think wingback is his best position. Like Marcus Alonso at Chelsea. Not the best in a 4 defensively but as a wingback he can have the license to attack. He is such an intelligent attacker.

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Agree. I think wingback is his best position. Like Marcus Alonso at Chelsea. Not the best in a 4 defensively but as a wingback he can have the license to attack. He is such an intelligent attacker.

Possibly, yes, but I wouldn't sacrifice our formation to accommodate targett.

I think he's OK defensively, not great, but passable, he's still quite young for a defender and hopefully with experience he can improve 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If I don't understand how back 4's work after watching the game for 60 years....I think i must have wasted a lot of season ticket money

I always respect people admitting their shortcomings 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's almost as if our fullbacks are instructed to tuck in really narrow and compact and then fan out when the ball goes wide.

Do people really think Targett is that narrow because he doesn't understand the position?

We aren't going man for man against Arsenal all over the pitch ffs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's almost as if our fullbacks are instructed to tuck in really narrow and compact and then fan out when the ball goes wide.

Do people really think Targett is that narrow because he doesn't understand the position?

Rodders, mate, with all due respect, what do you, and Dean and Targett know?

Villatalk tactical experts know everything.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We are talking about allowing so many crosses to come in to the box, unchallenged.......not going man to man with Arsenal all over the pitch.

we can talk shapes and systems all day long but if we allow that amount of crosses to come in we will pay the consequences......last night the boys in the middle of the box were magnificent.....we won't always have that luxury of our centre backs being so on top of their game.

On 22/07/2020 at 08:13, rodders0223 said:

Coinciding with us looking better at the back since the restart.

On 22/07/2020 at 10:04, TRO said:

We are talking about allowing so many crosses to come in to the box, unchallenged.......not going man to man with Arsenal all over the pitch.

we can talk shapes and systems all day long but if we allow that amount of crosses to come in we will pay the consequences......last night the boys in the middle of the box were magnificent.....we won't always have that luxury of our centre backs being so on top of their game.

Examples include Liverpool (3 times), Chelsea both games, United (2-2 draw). And plenty more but I can't think of from the top of my head. 

On 21/07/2020 at 23:47, TRO said:

Good full backs stop crosses too, its essential......when that ball comes in the middle, it becomes a lottery...... you cannot expect the centre backs to keep defending so many crosses, many more must be cut out at source.

If I don't understand how back 4's work after watching the game for 60 years....I think i must have wasted a lot of season ticket money.....the gaps you talk about is covered by midfielders in such circumstances......but only one at any given time has to close down the crosser.

He was piss poor tonight in closing his man down ....he did eventually go on both knees to stop the ball and conceded a free kick, but at least, he had a go, despite it being clumsy.

for me.....too many came in unnecessarily.

but thankfully, it ended well.

If that was a free kick and a yellow card then we may aswell make it a non contact sport now.

• Like 1

Just now, Mjvilla said:

If that was a free kick and a yellow card then we may aswell make it a non contact sport now.

I don't think it should have been but is was clumsy and untidy....that can attract yellows, from over zealous refs

Â