Matt Targett

villan-scott

9 minutes ago, jimcohen said:

Most improved player which is saying a lot with Trez, EL Ghazi, Konsa, Luiz etc etc. We no longer have a week link. Happy days. 

Delighted with his progress and the scouting team also deserve a lot of credit for identifying him and seeing his potential.

4 hours ago, ZL- said:

Can't give him enough credit for the turnaround in performances. I believe @TrentVilla called it with the addition of other attacking players allowing him to focus on actually defending, and boy can he defend when he puts his mind to it.

Consistency throughout the season will be key but beyond pleased with how well he's played this season. I heard that Terry manages the defences in LB + LCB and RB +RCB and it seems that has helped Targett become a lot less isolated as he was at points last season.

Definitely a superlative but hear me out I believe that Terry may be teaching him the ways of his old teammate Ashley Cole! A long way to go to but a technically great fullback who focuses on doing the dirty work well definitely fits the description for Targett at the moment and whilst I am aware its a bit OTT I never thought in a million years I'd dare to make the comparison last season.

My theory in the summer was that with better players around him and particularly in front of him he would do a lot better. My thinking being that we would have more possession so be under less pressure but also because he couldn’t be targeted as much by the opposition as he was past season. So it’s proven so far.

I think though that while this has proven to be the case it sells Targett short because he as an individual has also improved significantly in almost ever element of his game. I don’t know if that’s purely down to him, down to coaching or a combination of the two but his development is clear for all to see.

When you think we paid less than £30m for Cash and Targett that is remarkably good business in today’s market.

• Like 2

He looks so much more dependable now.  Superb tackle second half in particulat was amazing.  He must fancy himself against anybody this season.

Edited by Risso
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

He looks so much more dependable now.  Superb tackle second half in particulat was amazing.  He must fancy himself against anybody this season.

I thought it was interesting that he recently specifically picked out Wolves Traore when talking about wanting to take on the best players. There was some daft talk about him ducking him last season but he did give him a hard time, that he mentioned him isn’t a coincidence but perhaps signifies his increased confidence and an awareness of his previous performance levels. I think that fits with a player that’s really worked hard to improve.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I thought it was interesting that he recently specifically picked out Wolves Traore when talking about wanting to take on the best players. There was some daft talk about him ducking him last season but he did give him a hard time, that he mentioned him isn’t a coincidence but perhaps signifies his increased confidence and an awareness of his previous performance levels. I think that fits with a player that’s really worked hard to improve.

Fair play to him if that's the case. I was scathing of him last season and honestly though he wasn't cut out for the Premier League but he's gone and proved me wrong and probably many others. 

• 4 weeks later...
Â