Matt Targett

villan-scott

thanks the lord targett is in training and seems ok!

we really need a left back who can offer more challenge, or at least competence, ahead of taylor.

Would be nice to see a youth player get the chance tbh. (next season)

• Like 2

I’ve had COVID recently and one of the common symptoms is to totally lose your appetite. I also had acid indigestion all the time.

As a result I lost some weight. I thought Targett looked like he had lost weight against Man City. I suspect that he was one of the players who was more affected by COVID. Which might explain why he went off tired.

He did have a great game while he was on the pitch. Perhaps the weight loss helped! Really dogged defending, some great 1 on 1 duels won, blocked a lot of crosses, brilliant positional play and bailed out the rest of the defence on more than one occasion when he covered colleagues or made important clearances. On that evidence he is no longer the weakest link in the first 11. Need to get a new backup though!

Love the bloke but tbh I'd like to see Taylor start tonight.

If you have had a virus like this then had to come off a game due to exhaustion you need more than 2 days to recover. 

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

Love the bloke but tbh I'd like to see Taylor start tonight.

If you have had a virus like this then had to come off a game due to exhaustion you need more than 2 days to recover. 

I’d rather forfeit the match!

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s absolutely superb. Criticised him a lot last season and he’s made me look silly. 

Fast becoming one of our best players. 

maybe you criticised when he needed criticising....Now he deserves the praise he is getting.

6 hours ago, ender4 said:

Excellent performance against Man City.

If he can do that consistently, one of the best LBs in the Premier League

Its not the player we criticise, it's the play they produce.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, mallett said:

I’ve had COVID recently and one of the common symptoms is to totally lose your appetite. I also had acid indigestion all the time.

As a result I lost some weight. I thought Targett looked like he had lost weight against Man City. I suspect that he was one of the players who was more affected by COVID. Which might explain why he went off tired.

He did have a great game while he was on the pitch. Perhaps the weight loss helped! Really dogged defending, some great 1 on 1 duels won, blocked a lot of crosses, brilliant positional play and bailed out the rest of the defence on more than one occasion when he covered colleagues or made important clearances. On that evidence he is no longer the weakest link in the first 11. Need to get a new backup though!

its consistency, that is the key...He has improved lately, for sure, but only had 1 MOTM on here so far and got over 20 votes only twice.

I thought £14m was far too much money to pay for Targett for the majority of last season.

He's always been good with the ball but came across as a bit of a wetter who didn't back himself in one v ones or who didn't want to set high ambitions for himself in terms of gym work etc.

This season he's making £14m look like a snip. Having a really good season. 

41 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I thought £14m was far too much money to pay for Targett for the majority of last season.

He's always been good with the ball but came across as a bit of a wetter who didn't back himself in one v ones or who didn't want to set high ambitions for himself in terms of gym work etc.

This season he's making £14m look like a snip. Having a really good season. 

Agreed. Our fullbacks cost 30m in total. Superb business. 

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s absolutely superb. Criticised him a lot last season and he’s made me look silly. 

Fast becoming one of our best players. 

The most bizarre thing is they are all becoming one of our best players. This team with a few minor tweaks here and there challenges for top 4 very soon

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The most bizarre thing is they are all becoming one of our best players. This team with a few minor tweaks here and there challenges for top 4 very soon

I want you to be right but seeing City the other night made me realise we’re still a little way off. Players like Cancelo, De Bruyne, Foden, Dias.. these are players we could only dream of (Grealish aside). 

We’re not a million miles off though and I think the board are backing us to do it! 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I want you to be right but seeing City the other night made me realise we’re still a little way off. Players like Cancelo, De Bruyne, Foden, Dias.. these are players we could only dream of (Grealish aside). 

We’re not a million miles off though and I think the board are backing us to do it! 

Still definitely a work in progress for sure and we are not there yet but what staggering progress non the less. Also I think it would’ve been a hell of a lot closer if we not had three weeks off and the Covid scare. I still thought we were excellent

• Like 1

Â