Matt Targett

villan-scott

interesting comment on bbc that Terry was working with the left hand sided defence in isolation as opposed to splitting full backs and centre backs. weve certainly seen a huge improvement, in the organisation and link up play on both sides respectively. Targett was one of my favourite players last season and i think hes just getting better and better

53 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

interesting comment on bbc that Terry was working with the left hand sided defence in isolation as opposed to splitting full backs and centre backs. weve certainly seen a huge improvement, in the organisation and link up play on both sides respectively. Targett was one of my favourite players last season and i think hes just getting better and better

I think he was working with both sides but the relationship between the fullback and centre back is more important than the relationship between full back and full back and centre back and centre back. 

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think he was working with both sides but the relationship between the fullback and centre back is more important than the relationship between full back and full back and centre back and centre back. 

It was more the comment that they had split into a left and right hand side. It's more usual to split the centre backs and full backs. I just wonder if this approach is one of the small tweaks that is helping.

He had a fantastic match today, could have been man of the match in a long list of contenders.

The player we signed from Southampton‘s reserves 18 months ago didn’t have that kind of performance in his locker. A lot of credit has to go to the coaching team for the development of these players.

Before the season, I’d have said left back was a potential weakness for us. Not anymore. He’s been excellent, and extremely consistent. The defensive improvement is remarkable. 

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I’ve said this several times but if Chilwell gets injured, then Targett should have an opportunity to obtain an international cap.  Dark horse for the Euro squad?

I think it's unlikely he will get capped until the Euros are over - you want to focus on a core group of players in the build-up to a tournament, and he isn't in it - but if he keeps this level of performance up for the rest of this season and the start of next there's no reason he shouldn't be entering the conversation then. 

He was magnificent today, and he's been really good all season. Undoubtedly he's made big steps forward.

I've always liked him - mostly puts in a steady performance...the only problem is when he has a bad game - it's usually horribly bad !!! - and all the decent performances that have gone before are forgetton.

Toss up between him and Hause as MOTM for me today. There are two things I worry about with Targett - his positioning and his pace. Against Palace, he was up against quick players all game and I thought he’d have a torrid time. However, his covering of ground and timing of tackles was superb. Excellent game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Toss up between him and Hause as MOTM for me today. There are two things I worry about with Targett - his positioning and his pace. Against Palace, he was up against quick players all game and I thought he’d have a torrid time. However, his covering of ground and timing of tackles was superb. Excellent game. 

I've had these exact same worries, and I didn't think he was all that good against Albion, but he was outstanding today. 

Can't give him enough credit for the turnaround in performances. I believe @TrentVilla called it with the addition of other attacking players allowing him to focus on actually defending, and boy can he defend when he puts his mind to it.

Consistency throughout the season will be key but beyond pleased with how well he's played this season. I heard that Terry manages the defences in LB + LCB and RB +RCB and it seems that has helped Targett become a lot less isolated as he was at points last season.

Definitely a superlative but hear me out I believe that Terry may be teaching him the ways of his old teammate Ashley Cole! A long way to go to but a technically great fullback who focuses on doing the dirty work well definitely fits the description for Targett at the moment and whilst I am aware its a bit OTT I never thought in a million years I'd dare to make the comparison last season.

• Like 1

Â