Matt Targett

villan-scott

He’s improved to the point where Left Back is no longer a concern for me. If we got a big, strong DM in to sit in front of this back 4, we’ll be sorted. 

He’s not brilliant, but he’s fine for where we are now. 14m doesn’t look so bad at all now. Especially when Utd spent 50 odd on Wan Bissaka who is bang average.

Put him down as MOTM for me. Martinez was the obvious choice, but he deserved some credit. Kept Adama quiet and when he did get booked, it was actually a fantastic challenge. Fantastic performance from him. Written off so early by many, proving his worth now.

Another example of the incredible job Smith and his backroom team are doing with the players in the squad. It's so satisfying to see players actually improve tactically and technically while they are here, we've had so many managers over the years where not a single player really improved under their guidance.

I hope we get to see some more of Targett's quality going forward in the next few games as well now.

• Like 2

He is one of the most improved players from last season for me. Defensively he is a lot more switched on now. Attacking wise he links up really well with Jack and whichever centre midfield is supporting.

I love how he try's sneaky disguised passes in to the box rather than just whipping the ball in at any chance. The triangles played out wide look like something we have worked on hard. 
It’s really effective. 

Not having this improvement thing. Hes being consistently good for us since he arrived and the level of criticism he gets has always bemused me.

Yesterday was much easier for him defensively as he and Grealish double up a lot of the tíme against Traore. Usually its a thankless task at left back as Grealish is so far advanced and roaming in-field a lot of the tíme. 

Now, obviously you wouldnt have Jack playing any other way as you dont want to see him defending all game but it seems if a team gets a few attacks down our left hand Targett consistently gets hammered. If the same happens to Cash or Guilbert nothing gets said. Hes one of the most unfairly treated players i cant remember in a villa shirt. 

• Like 1

Coming up against an extremely quick opponent is daunting at the best of times - even worse when they are known to sit and counter. It requires you read the game well, or you get made to look ordinary.

Thought Targett did brilliantly against Adama. A number of times he simply knew what was coming and got to the ball first, other times he simply waited for the anticipated "drive to the byline and cross" and got his block in.

Well done.

10 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Not having this improvement thing. Hes being consistently good for us since he arrived and the level of criticism he gets has always bemused me.

Yesterday was much easier for him defensively as he and Grealish double up a lot of the tíme against Traore. Usually its a thankless task at left back as Grealish is so far advanced and roaming in-field a lot of the tíme. 

Now, obviously you wouldnt have Jack playing any other way as you dont want to see him defending all game but it seems if a team gets a few attacks down our left hand Targett consistently gets hammered. If the same happens to Cash or Guilbert nothing gets said. Hes one of the most unfairly treated players i cant remember in a villa shirt. 

Fair points. He does get a lot more support from Jack now. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair points. He does get a lot more support from Jack now. 

I should also say, his attacking output which is excellent (and he does get credited for) is massively aided by having Jack in front of him so dont want to make him out to be a complete victim!

In that regard he has an unfair advantage over every fullback in the prem. 

Edited by villanmac

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Thought he was very solid again 

Apart from the first 10 minutes where I think he had shit in his eyes he was 7.5/10 again. I wonder if Adama is still in his pocket too from the other day.

Edited by Sulberto21

Â