Matt Targett

villan-scott

I think he’s improving his fitness, as well as his general game is improving with experience. It can be no bad thing to have your captain in such good physical shape leading by example. Say what you will about Grealish off field exploits, but in the last 2-3yrs he’s nailed his fitness regime. And that’s what has taken him to the levels we are seeing. All the Villa players are looking better now......though McGinn seems like he’ll always be the same shape! 😂

• Like 1

I've always liked the kid, he's a very footballer. My only criticism has been (a bit like Elmo) that he doesn't get stuck in enough, but this season he really seems to improved that part of his game aswell. 

We clearly need a LB because Taylor is pants. Whoever it is is going to have to be some player to take Targetts spot though. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I've always liked the kid, he's a very footballer. My only criticism has been (a bit like Elmo) that he doesn't get stuck in enough, but this season he really seems to improved that part of his game aswell. 

We clearly need a LB because Taylor is pants. Whoever it is is going to have to be some player to take Targetts spot though. 

Agreed. One thing I've noticed this season is he's really started winning those 50/50 headers from cross-field balls and not avoiding challenges where he could get hurt. He has always been sound technically - but I did think he was a little soft at times last year. I really think he's stepped up both physically and mentally.

And although we've not really seen last two games, I think his link-up on the left with Grealish is key to our attacking play - they have a great understanding. 

Edited by Cizzler

I’ve said it before but I think the total lack of discussion in this thread says more about how well he’s doing. Seemingly gone are the days we are constantly bemoaning our left back. Seriously an underrated part of how much we have improved. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’ve said it before but I think the total lack of discussion in this thread says more about how well he’s doing. Seemingly gone are the days we are constantly bemoaning our left back. Seriously an underrated part of how much we have improved. 

For sure - I think it was breaking through a bit of a mental barrier with the physical stuff, though he has definitely bulked up a bit too. Either way, he's a much more complete player and definitely an asset to the side. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Jack made a comment about targett not going to the gym and the last few games I've really noticed an uptick in his physicality especially when putting in challenges. 

Agreed, I noticed most last game, alot more aggressive and fearless, this has always been his weakness IMO.

Dont think his footballing ability has ever been in doubt.

Slowly morphing into a player that could be our left back for the next 5 years. 

Agree with the fitness/physicality comments. He just looks better and hungrier. 

Dare I say 14m is a snip? Take a look at what the Newcastle fans are saying about Jamal Lewis this evening.. 

• Like 1

I have always liked Targett and think he's definitely improved this season. We all need to remember that his flank is the one that Grealish has mainly played down in the last year and when Jack goes looking for the ball Targett has been largely alone to deal with attacks down his side. 

You have to give credit to Smith and the player. I took note in an interview with Smith on Targett that he thought he had the potential to play for England. I don’t think Targett probably believed that deep down, but Smith has got him believing and his game has gone to another level this season. He’s no Bouma yet, but have no problem with him as our number 1 left back.

Â